37 replies to this topic

#1 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

[mod]This discussion was taken from Patch Notes - 1.4.229.0 - 18-August-2020.
Do not make off-topic responses or engage in off-topic discussion.[/mod]

You guys shouldn't fall for the fear mongering that the media is using .. covid is not much worse than the common flu.. just keep your immune systems up by eating healthy and exercising.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 19 August 2020 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

You guys shouldn't fall for the fear mongering that the media is using .. covid is not much worse than the common flu.. just keep your immune systems up by eating healthy and exercising.

And when you get sick, you can easily defeat the virus by swallowing some disinfectant. We know...

#3 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:40 PM

Considering I work in health care or at least have close proximity to it - and many colleagues who work in hospice care, inpatient and outpatient unit care - it is amusing how comforting denial is with a statement like "...not much worse than the common flu." While sensationalization in media is a persistent issue on any topic (and yes, media coverage was initially sensationalizing the issue), the concern of COVID-19 is correctly attuned to the data and challenges it presents.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:41 PM

If you prefer stats instead, covid-19 kills somewhere between 1-3.5% of those infected. The common flu about 0.02%. Two orders of magnitude more dangerous.

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:42 PM

I try not to gt off MWO related topics, but, well, I can't let this stand. You need to delete that post, or please Moderators do it for him, because that is some ignorant, dangerous, ******** right there. I don't know what "media" Daedalos513 is listening too, but regardless the message he has posted above is born of pure ignorance.

Between patients exhibiting multi-organ failure (https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7187881/) to those suffering from blood clotting (https://www.medicaln...and-coagulation), Covid-19 has shown us that it is NOTHING like the "common flu". Do we know the long term consequences of a Covid-19 infection? Unlike with infulenza, we have no idea.

Go visit an ICU or talk to a nurse or better yet a respiratory therapist at a large hospital, and you will learn very quickly that Covid-19 is not anything like the flu for many, many patients. Here in Minnesota, my wife worked at the Fairview U of M hospital, and the ICU has been either overflowing or at full capacity since April with Covid-19 patients. People from all walks of life: children less than a year old, late 20's Iron man triathletes, people in the prime of fitness and health put on a vent for sometimes WEEKS. This isn't the "common flu" Its a god damn pandemic and telling people otherwise on a public forum might just get someone killed you ****.

#6 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

View PostNightbird, on 19 August 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

If you prefer stats instead, covid-19 kills somewhere between 1-3.5% of those infected. The common flu about 0.02%. Two orders of magnitude more dangerous.

3.5%? Now you are fear mongering just as bad as the media.. the more we test the more we realize it's under 1% death rate.. and it's mostly those that are already immuno-compromised.. ie. the common flu adversely affects those same individuals almost as badly. Even if a young person is affected badly by covid-19, it is extremely RARE.. but hark, the young and healthy can also be severely affected by the common flu, though rare, but you don't hear the media 'informing us' about each and every case where a healthy individual succumbs to the flu.. only the covid cases.. wake up people, covid is just another variant of the flu that kills less than a percent of healthy individuals. Even though lately they mention covid can have long-term effects on the body, this is dubious at best because we don't know those patients medical history and we haven't even been through this 'pandemic' long enough to qualify using the phrase 'long-term.'

#7 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 August 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

I try not to gt off MWO related topics, but, well, I can't let this stand. You need to delete that post, or please Moderators do it for him, because that is some ignorant, dangerous, ******** right there. I don't know what "media" Daedalos513 is listening too, but regardless the message he has posted above is born of pure ignorance.

Between patients exhibiting multi-organ failure (https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7187881/) to those suffering from blood clotting (https://www.medicaln...and-coagulation), Covid-19 has shown us that it is NOTHING like the "common flu". Do we know the long term consequences of a Covid-19 infection? Unlike with infulenza, we have no idea.

Go visit an ICU or talk to a nurse or better yet a respiratory therapist at a large hospital, and you will learn very quickly that Covid-19 is not anything like the flu for many, many patients. Here in Minnesota, my wife worked at the Fairview U of M hospital, and the ICU has been either overflowing or at full capacity since April with Covid-19 patients. People from all walks of life: children less than a year old, late 20's Iron man triathletes, people in the prime of fitness and health put on a vent for sometimes WEEKS. This isn't the "common flu" Its a god damn pandemic and telling people otherwise on a public forum might just get someone killed you ****.

Anyway this will be my last post on the matter.. we must keep things in perspective, because we all know the media won't. The measures imposed are only prolonging the inevitable.. the only thing that will let us move forward is herd immunity.. just like there is no vaccine for the common flu.. there can be no vaccine for covid-19 because it is ever changing..

BTW last I remembered this is a free country.. can we not discuss the matter with civility and without vulgarity? Or do you not appreciate your freedoms and the people that defend them for you?

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 19 August 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#8 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

BTW last I remembered this is a free country.. can we not discuss the matter with civility and without vulgarity? Or do you not appreciate these freedoms?

No. Subverting experts in the fields - meaning, considering your own opinions in the same weight as an expert's - is not a freedom. Many other countries are free, have listened to medical and epidemiology experts, and have adapted to the information (even in the face of it changing rapidly). This is not about "freedoms," but about the importance of education and being receptive to information.

#9 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

One last thing.. the fear-mongering is causing many deaths and ruining families vis-a-vis suicides, countless businesses failing, mortgages not being paid, medical procedures not being done. It's easy to sit on a high horse when you have a job in the medical field because if anything this pandemic has brought job security to all in that industry.. while others have to suffer economically over this flu variant that kills < 1%. Politicians as well aren't giving up their stipends while they pass draconian laws that cause families to suffer. Imagine if you can, the burden on single parent families .. families that live paycheck to paycheck..

Some of us are sick of the fear-mongering and aren't afraid to speak up. You can have your opinion, we have ours. Don't try to stifle it..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 19 August 2020 - 03:45 PM.

#10 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:42 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

It's easy to sit on a high horse when you have a job in the medical field because if anything this pandemic has brought job security to all in that industry...

The "medical industry" isn't a monolith; there are a lot of challenges we're facing right now. I work in behavioral & mental health, and specifically regarding domestic violence, which has seen an unquestionable rise in difficulties. I lost my work in Florida, moved to Minnesota to find more, only to find more troubles in non-profits, and had to move back and now I'm in quarantine. A lot of issues stem from grant packages being put on hold or never following through during the pandemic.

The only high horse is making strawman, monolithic arguments. Please stop.

#11 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 19 August 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

No. Subverting experts in the fields - meaning, considering your own opinions in the same weight as an expert's - is not a freedom. Many other countries are free, have listened to medical and epidemiology experts, and have adapted to the information (even in the face of it changing rapidly). This is not about "freedoms," but about the importance of education and being receptive to information.

Do I really have to point out how many times 'experts' have been proven wrong in the apst? Or how bout just during this 'pandemic' alone? I subscribe to the school of common sense.. common sense tells me that if this 'pandemic' was as bad as they claim, schools would not be reopening in the fall and businesses (whats left of them) would not be doing so either. No this has been a test, a test to see how far they can push their will on us.. it's a classic case of using fear to manipulate. The young can't see it, but the old and experienced can. Give the book 1984 a read..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 19 August 2020 - 03:54 PM.

#12 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:48 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 03:44 PM, said:

Do I really have to point out how many times 'experts' have been proven wrong in the apst?

No, because you can't. Experts are constantly refining results, hence why the findings change. This isn't a failure of peer-academia; its a requisite function of it. Seeing the end result as endemic to its process is a form of salient bias.

#13 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 19 August 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

The "medical industry" isn't a monolith; there are a lot of challenges we're facing right now. I work in behavioral & mental health, and specifically regarding domestic violence, which has seen an unquestionable rise in difficulties. I lost my work in Florida, moved to Minnesota to find more, only to find more troubles in non-profits, and had to move back and now I'm in quarantine. A lot of issues stem from grant packages being put on hold or never following through during the pandemic.

Do you see how we are becoming reliant on the government for their 'grant packages' and 'relief funds' etc. This whole thing has been an attack on the middle class, to make us weak.. subservient.. I feel for you I really do. Strawman or not, what I say is true.. it's much easier to put up with draconian measures when you have a steady income and can pay your bills..

#14 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:55 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

Strawman or not, what I say is true.. it's much easier to put up with draconian measures when you have a steady income and can pay your bills..

No, it is not true. Please stop representing an industry you have no bearings about.

#15 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 19 August 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

Ya I did read about the rise in domestic violence.. as well as DRAMATIC rises in DUI's, car thefts, commercial B&E's.. there are so many 'side-effects' to this lock-down that the final damage toll can't even be fathomed.. yet BUD CRUE has the unmitigated gall to claim that what I'm saying may cost lives.. get some perspective BUD CRUE.. for some that will only come with age and life experience I guess.

..personally speaking, I think this pandemic will be the impetus that will allow them to push cashless society and in the longer term, one-world government.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 19 August 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#16 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:26 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

..personally speaking, I think this pandemic will be the impetus that will allow them to push cashless society and in the longer term, one-world government.

Well, holy dogsh*t!

Posted Image

Edited by jss78, 19 August 2020 - 04:28 PM.

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

Same shill spamming the forums
Did the patch get infected with covid
Better do an anti-virus scan after I patch.

#18 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

View Postjss78, on 19 August 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well, holy dogsh*t!

Posted Image

Weak and predictable.. you must be in your teens or twenties. It's the go-to for those that are either too immature to have a civilized conversation or are just afraid/closed-minded to face certain possible realities. They said the same thing to those that warned that our phone calls were being spied on and recorded.. now it's common knowledge.. and we even accept it as normal all in the name of 'security'.. I can cite many other examples where people were thought of as 'crazy' until they were proven right but there's no point.. enjoy your rose coloured glasses.

If you don't see how they are making germo-phobes out of all of us, than you are blind. Money is covered in germs, how long do you think it will be until they ban it? Surely you can put two and two together...

As for the one-world gov't.. one idea I read was that because China dropped the ball and was late to warn the world, they will use this as an argument to push the one-world government. Had there been a OWG in power the theory goes that they would have issued a warning much sooner instead of what we had now.. China's leaders putting their interests ahead of the worlds. Sounds good in theory but it's a very dangerous concept as far as control and power goes..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 19 August 2020 - 05:47 PM.

#19 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:35 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 05:14 PM, said:

As for one-world gov't.. one idea I read was that because China dropped the ball and was late to warn the world,

They didn't drop the ball. Chinese epidemiologists sequenced the genome of the virus in 10 days.

https://medicine.yal...-article/22389/

https://www.who.int/...inal-report.pdf

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/chinese-researchers-reveal-draft-genome-virus-implicated-wuhan-pneumonia-outbreak#

Original article here: https://www.cdc.gov/...-daudp3tob0TjBk

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:48 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 19 August 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

..the only thing that will let us move forward is herd immunity.. just like there is no vaccine for the common flu.. there can be no vaccine for covid-19 because it is ever changing..

Herd immunity. Yes,spoken like someone with nothing and no one on the line. Let the weakened, the sick and the compromised die, so we can get "herd immunity". Oh wait. One country tried that openly. Sweden. It didn't work. Nor in Italy, nor in Spain. They only got reductions when they actually adopted shut downs like places like New Zealand.

Shut the **** up about what you know nothing about and only have tangential experience from what you read on conspiracy theory websites. This is real. People are dying and will continue to do so as long as ******* like you keep pretending they know better than physicians, microbiologists, virologists, epidemiologists and the rest that have spent lifetimes trying to get schmucks like you to just wash your hands, to which you say "WHAT? NO WAY, WASH MY HANDS!!! ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY TO TAKE AWAY REAL MONEY AND IMPOSE A ONE WORLD ORDER!!!! ONLY WAY FORWARD IS TO ALWAYS EAT WITH THE HAND YOU WIPE WITH!! GERMS ARE A LIE!!!! and the worst part is ignorant people (like you) will listen to you, and you and they will spread this and people will suffer the consequences. Some will die.

Let me know when you go visit that ICU I mentioned before. From Neonatal to Adult ICUs,they are all full all over the U.S. with Covid patients. But you know better. Please just stop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users