BattleMechs

12 replies to this topic

#1 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 02:11 PM

As the title says, I'm trying to remake my personal favorite Thunderbolt for use in TT, I'm curious to know how many of you guys do something similar? I know there is a little bit of a taboo against using non stock mechs, but sometimes I like to get stupid.

Current creation uses 5X ERMED, an MRM 40, AMS. Its going to be toasty but i think it will still be fun.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 January 2022 - 02:35 PM

If anything it'll probably run a lot colder in TT because of how heat works there.

#3 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 04:58 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 January 2022 - 02:35 PM, said:

If anything it'll probably run a lot colder in TT because of how heat works there.

From what I read firing can generate 39 heat where it’s got 14 double heat sinks. So just don’t go nuts and I shouldn’t explode lol.

How have you been fupdup, I have seen you around the forums for years. I just recently came back again.

Edited by Relishcakes, 07 January 2022 - 05:00 PM.

#4 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 January 2022 - 06:21 PM

View PostRelishcakes, on 07 January 2022 - 02:11 PM, said:

As the title says, I'm trying to remake my personal favorite Thunderbolt for use in TT, I'm curious to know how many of you guys do something similar? I know there is a little bit of a taboo against using non stock mechs, but sometimes I like to get stupid.

Current creation uses 5X ERMED, an MRM 40, AMS. Its going to be toasty but i think it will still be fun.

Not many on these forums they are mostly meta players obsessed with their stats and W1nn1ng

View PostFupDup, on 07 January 2022 - 02:35 PM, said:

And there is no ridiculous ghost heat. but you can't just boat crap on tabletop either.. They why unmodded MW5 was imo better variant wise.

Edited by Nomad Tech, 07 January 2022 - 06:23 PM.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 09:41 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 07 January 2022 - 06:21 PM, said:

And there is no ridiculous ghost heat. but you can't just boat crap on tabletop either.

It is not a taboo.

It is just a BattleTech rule that says that all players should agree on the use of homebrewn 'Mechs and optional rules and conditions before the game.

Not many on these forums they are mostly meta players obsessed with their stats and W1nn1ng

I can not wait to see your proof for this forum-wide claim of yours.

Let me guess: You have none. Right?

Edited by martian, 07 January 2022 - 10:23 PM.

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 January 2022 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, agree on custom mechs before the game and there's no problem. Especially if you base it off of an existing mech, like the Thunderbolt. Three torso mounted lasers its got, and its not a stretch to replace the one big laser in the right arm with two smaller ones, and swap out its one major missile system for another. You just have a great Tech. And budget!

The other thing to remember for tabletop is that 12 to 15 salvos of ammo is enough for any typical match, unlike MWO which requires two to three times that.

#7 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 11:26 PM

This thread was moved to BattleTech® Discussion

#8 VaudeVillain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:28 AM

If you want to to somewhat reflect MWO, play using the Solaris VII rules. That's how PGI initially seemed to base everything. But, you should remember that PGI basically threw out the heat scale, minimized ammo explosions, and significantly increased armor and ammo, so in TT, you will shut down more, blow up your ammo, fire weapons less often than you would in MWO to control heat, or simply run out of ammo faster at the same tonnage.

Of course, with TT, you saw more people trying to adapt their TT built 'Mechs to MWO. I stick with 3025 era 'Mechs but I still modify them as opposed to some of the people that play stock. MWO is not well suited to play stock builds because of all the changes above and because there's no way to enforce the Clan bidding/honor system, so basically all the game balancing systems.

#9 Salty Dan

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:04 AM

Our group does not have a problem with "Home brew" mechs since we us the BV system. Also some othe the etsy sites are selling 3D models based of MWO designs and some of them look pretty good.

#10 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 11:30 AM

@OP

At one point I had even created an event around MWO mechs for the tabletop. We where all playing MWO at the time and I told everyone to send me screenshots of a certain number of their favorite MWO mechs. More mechs then I would need.
I then translated them to TT rules and made sure that BV wise they where about equal, thats why I asked for more then we would use in the game.

When the group arrived they didn't know what I had planed and I just handed them the record sheets and let them select maps to play on. We had quite some fun that day.

View PostSalty Dan, on 17 January 2022 - 09:04 AM, said:

Also some othe the etsy sites are selling 3D models based of MWO designs and some of them look pretty good.

Can confirm that. Here is my latest group that I bought on Etsy. Also not all of them are from MWO...also I would like to see them in MWO.

Posted Image

#11 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 June 2022 - 04:20 PM

I just purchased some new minis today, (2 salvage boxes and a Clan Support Star) I do have a Night Gyr, Black Lanner, and Arctic Cheetah, and I think I might have a Linebacker as well, so that's four of the five mechs in the pack that I know are in MW:O, unless they added the Battle Cobra since I disappeared. Of those, I do recall my Black Lanner was a custom loadout and a really good close range skirmisher, so maybe I'll port the loadout to SSW.

btw, for anyone curious, I got a Wolfhound and a Turkina in the salvage boxes.

Edited by Vanguard319, 20 June 2022 - 04:21 PM.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 01:33 AM

View PostVanguard319, on 20 June 2022 - 04:20 PM, said:

... unless they added the Battle Cobra since I disappeared.

btw, for anyone curious, I got a Wolfhound and a Turkina in the salvage boxes.

Neither the Battle Cobra nor Turkina have been added to MechWarrior Online yet.

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 August 2022 - 10:20 AM

but you can't just boat crap on tabletop either..

Um, what? There are numerous canon designs that boat weapons. The Hunchback 4P, Blackhawk/Nova Prime, the Komodo, the Masakari/Warhawk Prime, the Awesome, the Longbow, the Bane/Kraken... the list goes on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users