- - - - -

Do I Need A Few New Mechs?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Tek One

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:44 PM

I haven't played MWO since it's first days. I have a number of older mechs, but wonder if I should buy some of the newer mechs. I've taken a look at some YT vids and forum posts to get an idea of what's being used. The opinions vary. I thought if I listed the mechs I have I could get a few opinions on whether I'll have a harder time getting used to the game again using them or are they able to compete? My suspicions are they aren't, but wtf do I know. I appreciate your opinions.

Jenner F(C), D(S), K
Locust 1V(P), 3M, 3S
Centurion YLW, AH(L)
Griffin 1N(P), 1(S), 3(M)
Hunchback 4P
Kintaro-GB
Shadow Hawk 2D2, 2H(P), 5M
Wolverine 6K, 6R(P), 7K
Catapult A1, C4, J, K2, C1
Jagermech DD
Orion V, M, P
Thunderbolt 5S(P), 5SS, 9SE
Atlas D-DC, S(L)
Battlemaster 1D, 1G(P), 1(S)
King Crab 000(L)

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:41 AM

shd-2d2 is still excellent

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:52 AM

Most of those are still quite workable. Since you have been gone awhile you are starting in Tier 5 so you arent being thrown to the wolves. Each of those mechs have a different playstyle. No need to speak funds, MC, C-Bills or RL funds til you get a handle on how you prefer to play, primarily then secondary, ie long range, mid range and brawler type ranges. Nor is there a reason to keep locked to one way. It is good to mix it up.

Shadow Hawk 2D2, 2H and 5M
Wolverine 6K!!! MRM 30 and 5ERML
Centurion !! UAC10 or UAC 20
Orions workable
T-bolts
Battlemasters

No Clan mechs yet. Play the events such as the current one - https://mwomercs.com/events/432

Also, ignore the up/down arrows, Elo was changed to Tier w/fixed lvl PSR movement that had just about everyone moving up to Tier 1, and that was changed in 2020 to a setting of where you are being ranked against the others in that drop for movement up/down. Shoot mechs and improve as you go!!.

#4 Tek One

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:19 AM

I appreciate your replies. I'll see you on the battlefield! :)

Edited by Tek One, 15 January 2022 - 06:20 AM.

#5 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:41 AM

A warm welcome back to MWO!

1. You already have a very workable stable of mechs to work with, thanks to recent MWO/Cauldron patches!
(See the signature URL link at the bottom of this posting for details).

Interesting mechs you have that are workable, actually very good:
Hunchback HBK-4P ==> energy damage grinding for monthly free mech!
Catapult (various variants) ==> missile damage grinding for monthly free mech!
Jagermech JM6-DD
Thunderbolt TDR-5SS
Atlas AS7-D-DC ==> ballistic damage grinding for monthly free mech!
Atlas AS7-S(L)
King Crab KGC-000(L)
Battlemaster BLR-1G(P) ==> now I'm jealous ;)

Mechs that are still struggling IMHO:
Jenner (blocky hit box issues, hardpoint anemic)
Locust (only the Hero Locust Pirates Bane LCT-PB is interesting, if you wish to play lights)

Very nice stable of mechs, and many of them already +30% CBills bonus!

2. Do try to get the monthly free mechs; these are worth the effort.
Even if you don't like the mech, you can sell it for CBills, and keep the free Mechbay for future expansion!

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:46 PM

Welcome back!

Do yourself a favor and look through the store at the quirks various mechs get, especially the ones you own. Playing a mech to its strengths is essential. You'll find that the Centurion and Shadowhawk have been buffed very nicely, and you'll see that the Orion and the Battlemaster are just not exceptional at anything. (In fact, the Centurion is rocking about the same armor these days as that Battlemaster!)

Weapons are the major change. You can use 3 ERLL without ghost heat now, 4 LL, 3 PPC, 3 SnubNose PPC, etc. And you'll want to be careful about maneuvering on the battlefield, as standing in the wrong place for too long can get you drilled out quickly by long range fire. Time in the training grounds to re-learn the maps is worth it!

#7 Tek One

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 07:47 PM

View Postw0qj, on 15 January 2022 - 10:41 AM, said:

A warm welcome back to MWO!

1. You already have a very workable stable of mechs to work with, thanks to recent MWO/Cauldron patches!
(See the signature URL link at the bottom of this posting for details).

Interesting mechs you have that are workable, actually very good:
Hunchback HBK-4P ==> energy damage grinding for monthly free mech!
Catapult (various variants) ==> missile damage grinding for monthly free mech!
Jagermech JM6-DD
Thunderbolt TDR-5SS
Atlas AS7-D-DC ==> ballistic damage grinding for monthly free mech!
Atlas AS7-S(L)
King Crab KGC-000(L)
Battlemaster BLR-1G(P) ==> now I'm jealous Posted Image

Mechs that are still struggling IMHO:
Jenner (blocky hit box issues, hardpoint anemic)
Locust (only the Hero Locust Pirates Bane LCT-PB is interesting, if you wish to play lights)

I'm glad I came back to take another peak at this thread. That's all really great info folks, thanks! I'm glad to see there is supportive community. Be Well.

Very nice stable of mechs, and many of them already +30% CBills bonus!

2. Do try to get the monthly free mechs; these are worth the effort.
Even if you don't like the mech, you can sell it for CBills, and keep the free Mechbay for future expansion!

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 15 January 2022 - 02:46 PM, said:

Welcome back!

Do yourself a favor and look through the store at the quirks various mechs get, especially the ones you own. Playing a mech to its strengths is essential. You'll find that the Centurion and Shadowhawk have been buffed very nicely, and you'll see that the Orion and the Battlemaster are just not exceptional at anything. (In fact, the Centurion is rocking about the same armor these days as that Battlemaster!)

Weapons are the major change. You can use 3 ERLL without ghost heat now, 4 LL, 3 PPC, 3 SnubNose PPC, etc. And you'll want to be careful about maneuvering on the battlefield, as standing in the wrong place for too long can get you drilled out quickly by long range fire. Time in the training grounds to re-learn the maps is worth it!

#8 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:30 AM

View Postw0qj, on 15 January 2022 - 10:41 AM, said:

While the ECM on the Pirate's Bane is useful, the 50% energy cooldown and 35% laser duration quirks on the -1V makes it the most fun variant, at least for me. Running a LPL on the -1V is a hoot.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 21 January 2022 - 09:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users