Calling All Quickdraw Enthusiasts

5 replies to this topic

#1 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:57 AM

Hello all,

I'm a medium 'mech pilot that's interested in branching out into other weight classes and I've chosen the Quickdraw to be my entry level heavy 'mech. Since I'm new to the chassis, I'd like to ask the Quickdraw enthusiasts out there for piloting advice. Are there any quirks or tricks to the Quickdraw that I need to know about? What are your favorite builds that aren't the MRM60/80 IV-Four?

Looking at the variants, the QKD-4G looks the most appealing to me, it has solid cooldown quirks, it's the most agile and it has the same armor quirks as the IV-Four as of the December 2021 patch. Build wise, I'm thinking of equipping it with the largest XL engine the QKD-4G will take, a big MRM launcher and finally some medium lasers. In my mind, it would run around with it's fellow medium mechs and skirmish, flank and harass.

I'd also consider using the right side energy hardpoints on the QKD-4G for 3xLPLas or some kind of double or triple PPC type build. The other variants look interesting too, I'm already thinking of an SRM/MLas build for the QKD-4H and a 4xLLas build on the QKD-5k, but I'm open to suggestions for those variants as well. I will eventually get around to the IV-Four, it has a lower engine cap than the others, so it's less interesting.

Thoughts? Opinions? Is this a sensible step out of the medium class or am I wasting my time on a wannabe medium 'mech?

Thanks!

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:13 PM

I've resurrected my old "HP Drifter" 4G following the PPC minimum range adjustment. This generalist won me an Ace of Spades once upon a time, and its viable under current meta. You just have to watch the heat on your alpha strikes. It doesn't get a lot of use since the Dragon is even tankier AND faster than the Quickdraw, so make sure you take advantage of a jump jet or two since the Dragon has none.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:48 PM

This is an absolute beast now

qkd-4g

#4 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 01:43 AM

I personally prefer 4G with 2HPPC, qkd-4g, so much fun.

But I might try Ash's one, I like the idea of the arm mounted LPL, for those pesky UAVs that enemies like to poop out right above me.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:34 AM

True, but I've got a Shadowhawk 2K that does the 3xLPL thing quite nicely already. I'll have to test it, the heat on a 20% faster firing set of pulse lasers might be significant.

#6 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:58 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 19 January 2022 - 12:13 PM, said:

I've resurrected my old "HP Drifter" 4G following the PPC minimum range adjustment. This generalist won me an Ace of Spades once upon a time, and its viable under current meta. You just have to watch the heat on your alpha strikes. It doesn't get a lot of use since the Dragon is even tankier AND faster than the Quickdraw, so make sure you take advantage of a jump jet or two since the Dragon has none.

I do like generalist or mixed builds, I'll test this and see how the heat is for me. I was going back and forth between the Dragon and Quickdraw for the reasons you mentioned, the JJs on the Quickdraw beat out the raw ground speed and armor quirks of the Dragon. It's also a FWL design, which I like.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 19 January 2022 - 05:48 PM, said:

This is an absolute beast now

qkd-4g

The big energy cooldown quirk does make this look appealing, It looks a little cooler than the SHD-2K with the same loadout too. I'll test it out.

View PostvonJerg, on 20 January 2022 - 01:43 AM, said:

I personally prefer 4G with 2HPPC, qkd-4g, so much fun.

But I might try Ash's one, I like the idea of the arm mounted LPL, for those pesky UAVs that enemies like to poop out right above me.

This was the build I immediately went to in my head, I've had some solid matches with the 2xHPPC BJ-3. I agree about the arm-mounted weaponry and UAVs, I often find myself being the only one shooting UAVs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users