Founder Leaving Mwo - Light Madeness Needs Patched Fast!

112 replies to this topic

#1 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:26 PM

Whatever has happened to lights is ruining the game for many of us.

Unless you like dying to lights every match.

I'm sure it's just right for some, just not me anymore.

I like variety.

Keeping an eye on a light patch . . . .

Until then, perhaps play a light once in a blue moon, but I'm pretty over it for now.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 22 January 2022 - 11:30 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:34 PM

Lights are currently the worst performing weight class and have been forever.

If you are dying to the worst performing class of mech, is it really a mech issue?

#3 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:38 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 January 2022 - 11:34 PM, said:

Lights are currently the worst performing weight class and have been forever.

If you are dying to the worst performing class of mech, is it really a mech issue?

Assaults are getting murdered by lights, solo lights too. Nothing you can do about it, either, because there isn't enough pitch on assaults (and others).

I don't think lights are poor performing when I can consistently do 400+ damage in them.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 22 January 2022 - 11:43 PM.

#4 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:41 PM

Its very hard to play pirana even in Tier 3 - you need go close to 100m to swarm of angry enemies. Just try to imagine.

Sometimes you can find alone stupid Anni, but next time you ll find Arctic wolf with streaks.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 22 January 2022 - 11:44 PM.

#5 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:47 PM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 22 January 2022 - 11:41 PM, said:

Its very hard to play pirana even in Tier 3 - you need go close to 100m to swarm of angry enemies. Just try to imagine.

I play:

Flea stealth
Incubus
Jenner
Raven stealth

With 130-150 meter weaps, so yeah, I imagine. However, I don't have a x4 machine gun light with 11 micro pulse laser ankle biter where your tactic is to run up and play sticky leg until the assault dies becasue they have no defense against such an attack.
When you have 1/3 your team shooting at one light and dying to it, that's ********.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 22 January 2022 - 11:49 PM.

#6 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:54 PM

Sometimes you can find alone stupid Anni, but next time you ll find Arctic wolf with streaks.

Then you should have stealth. the meta is now machine guns, energy, and stealth.

#7 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:07 AM

Lights can actually contribute to the game now, so yes, you'll want to shoot and hit them when they come around, and if you aren't confident about that you'll want to hang out near some teammates.

#8 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:20 AM

No, I am ok with any weight.

I just want to say, you can easily play lights against tier 4-5, but tier 1-2 very good in killing little boys.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 23 January 2022 - 12:21 AM.

#9 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:21 AM

View PostJohn Bronco, on 23 January 2022 - 12:07 AM, said:

Lights can actually contribute to the game now, so yes, you'll want to shoot and hit them when they come around, and if you aren't confident about that you'll want to hang out near some teammates.

Oh, I hit them. They just take way more damage then they should, hit boxes being as they are. The only time you can do damage is when they are being stupid and standing still.

"contribute to the game" = our light pack of 4 lights takes out the opponents entire team, less a couple mechs.

#10 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:31 AM

As a primarily light mech player I can say that if I can catch an assault away from the pack and no one comes to its rescue I can solo it more often than not. But as soon as any support shows up I have to bail. So I would ask the assaults who are consistently getting reamed by lights as to why they are consistently away from their support?

I've adapted my piranha play by refitting for range instead of cqc uber dps so you don't have to get in knife fighting range. Light mg are good out to ~300m and pair well with heavy mediums. You can also fit er meds and play mid range sniper as lmg still do a bit of damage but more importantly apply crits at the er meds 460m optimal.

I've been having a blast with this lately and make sure to get the left side survival nodes as it makes it quite the tanky little beast as long as you don't give them a stationary target.

SuperFishy

#11 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:37 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 23 January 2022 - 12:31 AM, said:

I've been having a blast with this lately and make sure to get the left side survival nodes as it makes it quite the tanky little beast as long as you don't give them a stationary target.

SuperFishy

Like I said.

---

It's not that I don't like playing lights, I just think they are taking away from entire game play metrics by reducing variety in matches. They were never meant to be as strong as they are.

It doesn't take finding an assault far away from team mates. A 150 meters is all it take for me to get in, core an assault's back out, get out, and then circle around for the kill 30 seconds later. Just gets boring.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 23 January 2022 - 12:39 AM.

#12 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:45 AM

I will never understand the thought process.

"Hey, all you guys that have no idea who I am! I'm leaving!"

"... Ok."

#13 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:48 AM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 23 January 2022 - 12:37 AM, said:

Like I said.

---

It's not that I don't like playing lights, I just think they are taking away from entire game play metrics by reducing variety in matches. They were never meant to be as strong as they are.

LOLWUT.

Statistically, Lights are still the worse-performing class. Making them any weaker will reduce variety by reducing their viability and disincentivizing players from playing Lights.

It doesn't take finding an assault far away from team mates. A 150 meters is all it take for me to get in, core an assault's back out, get out, and then circle around for the kill 30 seconds later. Just gets boring.

Or you circle around and get blapped into oblivion 30 seconds later because the enemy is actually paying attention and predicts your next peek using UAVs, seismic, target-spotted mechanic, or just plain old game sense.

Enemies have counterplay options. If they don't use them, that's not Lights being OP, that's just them being outplayed.

When I get outplayed by a Light mech I don't come crying about it on the forums. I give that Light mech driver his or her props and I think about how I screwed up.

#14 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:19 AM

View PostEscef, on 23 January 2022 - 12:45 AM, said:

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent, then.

View PostYueFei, on 23 January 2022 - 12:48 AM, said:

LOLWUT.

Statistically, Lights are still the worse-performing class. Making them any weaker will reduce variety by reducing their viability and disincentivizing players from playing Lights.

Or you circle around and get blapped into oblivion 30 seconds later because the enemy is actually paying attention and predicts your next peek using UAVs, seismic, target-spotted mechanic, or just plain old game sense.

Enemies have counterplay options. If they don't use them, that's not Lights being OP, that's just them being outplayed.

When I get outplayed by a Light mech I don't come crying about it on the forums. I give that Light mech driver his or her props and I think about how I screwed up.

Argue all you want. I can consistently do average 400+ in my lights.

Outplayed? You mean standing under an assault and mashing the left mouse button until the assault dies?

For example, there is a reason people call Urbies "light assaults."

Pro tip: It's not just me. Many people feel some lights are over extended in their respective weight class.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 23 January 2022 - 01:21 AM.

#15 Apteko

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:22 AM

> Many people feel

So should we all agree that witches and aliens are a huge threat to our civilization?

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:32 AM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 22 January 2022 - 11:38 PM, said:

Assaults are getting murdered by lights, solo lights too. Nothing you can do about it, either, because there isn't enough pitch on assaults (and others).

I don't think lights are poor performing when I can consistently do 400+ damage in them.

Assaults are not getting murdered by lights, you are getting murdered by them in Assaults. The wording is important.

I have no issue whatsoever using Assaults, lights don't bother or concern me much at all.

Fact remains lights are the worst performing weight class the hard data proves it. What you anecdotally think doesn't mean much.

Nothing is going to change in the way of any nerfs to lights.

View PostNoxMorbis, on 23 January 2022 - 12:37 AM, said:

I just think they are taking away from entire game play metrics by reducing variety in matches.

If lights are the worst performing and least used weight class - how are they reducing variety and/or taking away from metrics, exactly?

You need to take the sensationalism down a few notches.

#17 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:43 AM

It is only in tier 5 where people fail to shoot back at lights. If you perform as well as you say you are, you will be out of those tiers fast enough.

Reducing mouse sensitivity might help at getting the aim right.

#18 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 January 2022 - 03:49 AM

View PostEscef, on 23 January 2022 - 12:45 AM, said:

"Hey, all you guys that have no idea who I am! I'm leaving!"

"... Ok."

I'm pretty sure threads like this are aimed at the devs and moderators to explain their upset with the current game design.. Its not for other customers.

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:34 AM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 22 January 2022 - 11:38 PM, said:

Most assaults have weapon hardpoints in arms, is it light mechs/games fault or assault mechs pilots fault that those are not used?

Even your own stats last 3 seasons show that your assaults are getting higher avg matchscore than your lights so they are performing worst?

View PostNomad Tech, on 23 January 2022 - 03:49 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure threads like this are aimed at the devs and moderators to explain their upset with the current game design.. Its not for other customers.

Well yeah founder should know that devs don't read ir answer to almost ever in general discussion section. Moderators are not devs, pretty much just cops to keep forums civil enough.

Edited by Curccu, 23 January 2022 - 04:35 AM.

#20 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:39 AM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 22 January 2022 - 11:47 PM, said:

I play:

Flea stealth
Incubus
Jenner
Raven stealth

With 130-150 meter weaps, so yeah, I imagine. However, I don't have a x4 machine gun light with 11 micro pulse laser ankle biter where your tactic is to run up and play sticky leg until the assault dies becasue they have no defense against such an attack.
When you have 1/3 your team shooting at one light and dying to it, that's ********.

Can you post your stats for these mechs? Obviously you play lights a fair bit, so it would be interesting to see how powerful they are for you, compared to your best assaults. You can find your Mech stats by clicking Profile>Stats>Mech Stats. Just copy paste them.

I do fairly decently in lights myself, really pretty good. I have gotten 6 kills in them on a few occasions. I've also gotten 6 or more kills on a number of occasions in assaults, and... it's quite a lot easier. I know from my own stats that as well as I do in lights, my best lights are all slightly worse than my best assaults.

SLEIPNIR 171 97 73 1.33 243 104 2.34KDR
IV-FOUR 43 28 15 1.87 42 23 1.83 KDR
MAD CAT MK II MCII-B 38 22 16 1.38 38 22 1.73KDR
FRENZY 26 8 18 0.44 42 19 2.21 KDR
ANNIHILATOR ANH-1A 66 37 29 1.28 70 41 1.71
WARHAMMER WHM-6R 40 21 19 1.11 38 23 1.65 KDR

Lights:

FLEA FLE-17 23 13 10 1.30 22 13 1.69 KDR
PIRATES' BANE 127 64 63 1.02 117 73 1.60 KDR
PIRANHA PIR-1 73 37 35 1.06 76 51 1.49 KDR
GRINNER 79 36 43 0.84 85 46 1.85 KDR

I mean, it's not overwhelmingly lop sided for me, just wondering what it's like for yourself?

I should add I'm not worried about them being good or bad or anything, just interested in the comparison between your best lights and your other best mechs, to see if your own stats are showing them being janky.

Edited by Maddermax, 23 January 2022 - 04:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users