Posted 15 February 2022 - 05:26 PM

I mean I just LRM when Im drunk... Dont need to aim that way :V

#82 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 06:05 PM

View Postw0qj, on 14 February 2022 - 08:17 PM, said:

Again, do they want to increase the chances of team Win or not? Posted Image

Exposing yourself beyond the amount of time it takes for you to shoot and return to cover could potentially result in you taking unnecessary damage, and dying sooner, decreasing your team's chances of victory.

In exchange, it allows the LRM boats to potentially get off more volleys, increasing your team's chances of victory.

Personally, I think I can carry harder than a LRM boat, so y'all just gonna have to get your own locks.

Edited by Kanil, 15 February 2022 - 06:06 PM.

#83 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:54 PM

View Postkatoult, on 15 February 2022 - 02:02 PM, said:

Well, technically using ATMs above about 475m (or wherever they set the dropoff to 1 dmg nowadays) were always the worse choice over LRMs due to the damage falloff.

ATMs don't drop to 1 dmg/missile anymore. Their damage brackets nowadays are 0/2.5/../2/../1.5 at ranges 0-120m/120-245/245-295/295-500/500-550/550-1100. The ranges between the brackets (245-295 and 500-550) is where the damage transitions linearly to the nex damage bracket. Source: https://mwomercs.com.../list/full.json

#84 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 11:56 PM

That should about tell you how long i haven't been using that nerfed weapon system anymore Posted Image

#85 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:54 AM

View PostAlstren, on 15 February 2022 - 05:26 PM, said:

I mean I just LRM when Im drunk... Dont need to aim that way

I really hate ridiculous, stupid statements like this - it panders to the whole 'LRM is a no skill weapon' lie that people keep perpetuating on this forum. If you don't aim with LRMs then you don't get any hits at all.

#86 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:11 AM

View PostDogstar, on 16 February 2022 - 12:54 AM, said:

I really hate ridiculous, stupid statements like this - it panders to the whole 'LRM is a no skill weapon' lie that people keep perpetuating on this forum. If you don't aim with LRMs then you don't get any hits at all.

Compared to other weapons like lasers/peeps/ACs you require way less precise aiming while lurming. IMO skill of lurming is mostly positioning to get good shots.

#87 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:23 AM

LRM IS a low-skill weapon with mechanics inherently unsuitable for multiplayer PvP.

I do it drunk too.

#88 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:47 AM

When MM is broken and game is unplayable, it's only way not to die almost instantly and to earn at least some dmg/match score to complete event.

Edited by MrMadguy, 16 February 2022 - 02:48 AM.

#89 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 February 2022 - 05:38 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 16 February 2022 - 02:47 AM, said:

When MM is broken and game is unplayable, it's only way not to die almost instantly and to earn at least some dmg/match score to complete event.

You are just a ray of sunshine arent you.

#90 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:24 PM

View PostDaZur, on 28 January 2022 - 06:15 AM, said:

For clarity... This is not a LRM rant.

That said, over this recent event I've seen an inordinate amount of LRM'ing and have had ample opportunity to watch players hurl missiles vicariously secondary to my demise.

I just don't get it...

More than half the players I've watched dutifully position themselves out of harms way, patiently wait for the obligatory Dorito and rapid launch LRMs at mechs unseen. Conversely, I've seen a handful of players who actively move and seek advantageous position, obtain their own locks and artfully paint the battlefield with their arsenal... But these players seem to be the exception to the norm.

It's like watching paint dry... Oh, they get their kills, rack up tidy amounts of damage (Assuming folks click R) and contribute to the outcome of most matches. I just can't see the enjoyment of the play mechanics.

I have a couple LRM mechs for no other reason than to complete event LRM requirements... I begrudgingly roll them out when necessary... Even then, these mechs sport secondary weapons that allow me to feed my need to actively engage the enemy face-to-face.

Not venting... No complaining. I'll do me and you do you. I just don't get it...

Getting your own lock is a less efficient LRM tactic.
Please don't get mad, but this is my take on the tactic.
Objective: be the support mech that makes my frontliner roll through the enemy mech
Constraints:
1) going by the numbers...only about 1/3 of missiles hit the target = maximize missile volley and total missiles
2) able to position for 300-500m range for minimal flight time
3) do not use an assault slot...this is key, the assaults have the most armor for engaging, and my job is to remove the enemy's armor first
4) artemis only works with my lock and then only in LOS. Tag requires LOS, both are tonnage wastes for point 1
So, I take light to heavy mechs ; down armored; with maximum volume of launchers and ammo.
Then I stay about 100m behind my brawling buddy and whatever they engage on, I fight.
If we aren't engaged, then I can send support to anyone else engaged.
Best is maddog lrm 90. 6lrm15 almost no armor. Slap an atlas in the face with 90 missles while your atlas is engaging and see who wins. Another favorite is lrm 40 adder. catapult firepower @ 35 tons.

Really, the enjoyment comes from finding the sweet spot. Keeping yourself in your position relative to the team, keeping a low profile, using your little armor at key moments. If I do it right, the enemy lights can't get at me, and my assaults with decimate theirs because my dps is higher than the opponent's heavy's laz builds.

#91 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 02:59 PM

View PostTyman4, on 19 February 2022 - 03:24 PM, said:

3) do not use an assault slot...this is key, the assaults have the most armor for engaging, and my job is to remove the enemy's armor first

If you use an assault mech then you simply invert the roles you described.

As in, you're the one tanking while sandblasting them at the frontline, and you're the one pushing ahead. That frontline is at below 300m. And the other mech(s) with you can exploit the holes in the armor you just opened up, preferably with PPFLD.

If dropping in a coordinated team many that use this kind of tactic can somewhat rotate these roles within a group of three mechs in order to optimize heat dissipation and armor sharing, while the fourth member is free to roam and keep oversight.

#92 Bakuda

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 08:24 PM

"One spills less tea, when one fires from afar, don't you think? Plus it is much less messy and makes clean up a breeze, wouldn't you say?

A true LRM devotee is one who has mastered the art of "Dumb firing" their LRM, now that takes some skill, anyone can get a lock on and push a button. Nothing more annoying when you get peppered by 4 x 15 LRM with out a single Missile Alert warning.

Edited by Bakuda, 24 February 2022 - 08:32 PM.

#93 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 February 2022 - 08:43 AM

View PostBakuda, on 24 February 2022 - 08:24 PM, said:

"One spills less tea, when one fires from afar, don't you think? Plus it is much less messy and makes clean up a breeze, wouldn't you say?

A true LRM devotee is one who has mastered the art of "Dumb firing" their LRM, now that takes some skill, anyone can get a lock on and push a button. Nothing more annoying when you get peppered by 4 x 15 LRM with out a single Missile Alert warning.

It is amazing the number of players in this game who don't know that you don't need a lock to fire LRMs directly!

#94 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 25 February 2022 - 04:18 PM

One hand on the joy stick, one hand on the mouse . . . nothing more to be said for the way some folk appear to play lurm boats.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users