Basic Fp Knowledge For New Players By Data

22 replies to this topic

#1 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Subcommander
  • Subcommander
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 01:16 PM

There is lots more helpful information on his channel for new and old players.

Thank you DATA!

#2 Use of Weapons

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:03 AM

Excellent vid + channel DATA, good stuff for the whole FP community.

#3 TheNoob

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 07:42 AM

Does this video mention the fact that queuing for faction based play is almost pointless due to it taking insanely long?

#4 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 10:15 AM

Or that you should always stack defense and hide in spawn with long range mechs?

#5 TheNoob

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:00 AM

I mean the fact that this forum is absolutely dead is more or less proof that the faction game mode is absolute trash. I mean you queue for almost an hour or something? I dno i stop after 10 minutes or dont even bother when I see single digit people in queue.

This game is dead for obvious reason.. I mean.. if they didnt have pay to win mechs it would be a lot better.

#6 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Subcommander
  • Subcommander
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:21 AM

View PostTheNoob, on 07 February 2022 - 11:00 AM, said:

I mean the fact that this forum is absolutely dead is more or less proof that the faction game mode is absolute trash. I mean you queue for almost an hour or something? I dno i stop after 10 minutes or dont even bother when I see single digit people in queue.

This game is dead for obvious reason.. I mean.. if they didnt have pay to win mechs it would be a lot better.

Either you are smurf trolling bc of your nick or you havent watch the video. Heres explaing how QUE works in FP

https://youtu.be/pmfG0ZJoNbM?t=727

Primetime its hard to get matches without join a group. I suggest using LFG, it doesnt always work, but asking in FACTION TEAM CHAT to pick you up help your chances.

Edited by Kotis77, 07 February 2022 - 11:29 AM.

#7 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:57 PM

As probably the most prolific Faction Play streamer currently, my two cents:

Pretty much good points made, but please don't play Faction Play for the mechbays. The Faction Rep ladder rewards are comparatively worse than if you just did events alone. You play Faction Play because there is no NASCAR and you get to select your mechs for the map. Low-skilled players who think they can no-brain their way to the mechbays given out will be in for nothing but vicious beatdowns.

#8 B O O M E R A N G

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:10 AM

Lol I remember scouting in a fat slow medium mech back in the day

#9 Rizzi Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Wolf
  • Hero of Wolf
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 08:54 AM

Nice Video, thank you for your work!

#10 Bronn of the Blackwater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:25 AM

Thanks DATA for the divulgative effort.
I dare to propose some advice more.

1) Forget the Nascar mentality. IN QP a fast middle ranged mech can work fine. In FP the Nascar is almost inexistent, and the positioning of the players by far much better. A fast medium mech in medium pulse lasers can be ok in soup, but the third second out of appropiate cover will cost you a leg, a torso or being cored. The most part of the players use long range builds and CAN aim. And the alphas tend to be much more devastating. So if you are not familiarized with the maps (Siege by example) don´t go to "Explore". You can use the TEST version of the map to explore how they are build. But do it BEFORE triying FP. Every newbie exploting out of limits in Grim Portico is a sad thing... Use the maps, dont be lazy.
2) One of the first thing s i had to do when starting FP was removing skill points in speed, and put them in armor and skeletal density. Pure speed rarely will save you from the well placed salvo of a correctly builded deathstrike. Specially in siege maps you can find yourself often fighting in firing lines,you can be often poking with not much margin to change position without being hardly punished.

3) DONT USE LRM.
Yes, in good hands LRM can be awesome damage farmers. But for a Newbie LRM are a trap. They are not learning the basics of movement, positioning, aiming, cooldown... For a rookie, lurming ends in a state of tunnel vision, making him dependant to others to get locks and being protected. IN FP you will find very hard to mantain locks. And even if you have locks, people uses to be experienced enough to search cover, or use AMS in group. NEVER say "Hold locks for LRM" if you dont want to be mocked. Mate, i will lock the mech i´n shooting because i need to know where to aim. And if he hides i will inmediately lock my next target. If i´m not locking my target to lock YOURS, i´m doing it wrong (WIth some rare exceptions)
To make it worse, ECM mech are everywhere. And some maps as Vitric forge make lurms very very poor option (If you are not very experienced and skilled)

4) Never use TRIAL mechs.
If you dont have a dropdeck yet, dont come in this walking coffins, please. Wait and farm cbills in soup.

5) SKill your mech before to try FP.
Because you have handicap enough.

6) Yondu sheet for mech choices. "This is the way"
If you ask me, as a beguiner i will propose you use LR HEavies. Assaults will be too difficult to positionate, lights and mediums are for last waves. Heavies are balanced, can resist some punishment, are fast enough and can pack a punch.

7) This comics seem very basic. But i find every day pilots who seem to ignore this basics.

https://steamcommuni...44928867374935/

Edited by Tirant Lo Blanc, 08 February 2022 - 09:27 AM.

#11 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Subcommander
  • Subcommander
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 09:14 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 07 February 2022 - 11:57 PM, said:

As probably the most prolific Faction Play streamer currently, my two cents:

Pretty much good points made, but please don't play Faction Play for the mechbays. The Faction Rep ladder rewards are comparatively worse than if you just did events alone. You play Faction Play because there is no NASCAR and you get to select your mechs for the map. Low-skilled players who think they can no-brain their way to the mechbays given out will be in for nothing but vicious beatdowns.

Is there ways to stop them? Daddy can but wont. Insulting/shaming and teamkilling havent worked in past. So is there really any ways than let them play and hope they will like FP so much that they will try to learn to play?

Sure when you drop FP you need to a killer, theres no room for sheeps. But we bleeding old players and theres is only handful new players joining. Is there more than one match going outside primetime? We need more matches going on that new players can find easier games than facing 12mans and learning FP.

Can we pressure PGI to make last final minimal effort to FP before the gamemode dies? Tukayieed or whatchacallit or good prices FP event that pushes lots of players to FP and got 3-4 matches going on at least. Maybe bring QP matchmaker if its easy to port to FP. That would keep players in FP.

Edited by Kotis77, 12 February 2022 - 09:16 AM.

#12 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:07 PM

View PostKotis77, on 12 February 2022 - 09:14 AM, said:

Can we pressure PGI to make last final minimal effort to FP before the gamemode dies? Tukayieed or whatchacallit or good prices FP event that pushes lots of players to FP and got 3-4 matches going on at least. Maybe bring QP matchmaker if its easy to port to FP. That would keep players in FP.

If they could make Faction Play Great Again, I'd spend a minimum of $20 a month on this game, easily.

I've suggested making a simple IS v Clan Quickplay mode attached to the FP reward systems.
I've suggested balancing rewards- Exp for Quickplay and Cbills for Faction Play, because Quickplay should be practice mode and Faction Play is career mode.

Back in the Day Rant:
Spoiler

Ultimately, I don't see it happening. The people steering this ship are not concerned with FP or Solaris.
The only game modes that matter to these people are Quickplay and 'Pro Quickplay'.

They've done nothing to promote faction play. At this point, they are just cannibalizing it for more quickplay maps.
For that matter, they've done nothing to promote Solaris. Every time there's a new mech pack, why isn't there a Solaris event to play with the new mechs specifically? That would seem like a no brainer, right? An exclusive Solaris event you need to buy the mech pack to participate in.

It's sad, but nothing lasts forever I guess.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 14 February 2022 - 06:17 PM.

#13 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 06:40 AM

View PostKotis77, on 12 February 2022 - 09:14 AM, said:

Is there ways to stop them? Daddy can but wont. Insulting/shaming and teamkilling havent worked in past. So is there really any ways than let them play and hope they will like FP so much that they will try to learn to play?

Sure when you drop FP you need to a killer, theres no room for sheeps. But we bleeding old players and theres is only handful new players joining. Is there more than one match going outside primetime? We need more matches going on that new players can find easier games than facing 12mans and learning FP.

Simple, just remove mechbay rewards from the lower rungs of the faction ladder and put them higher. Low hanging fruit removed, newbs who want to play FP just for the mechbays disappear. Regarding 'just let them play and hope they enjoy it', let me give you a simple analogy. You bring a kid to a swimming complex, 1. you let the kid go to the 'adult pool' because he wants, kid doesn't know how to swim and almost drowns, 2. you only allow the kid to go to the 'kiddie pool' until the kid learns how to swim, then let him go to the 'adult pool', kid is able to swim in it. Out of these two scenarios, which kid is more likely going to continue swimming, or even venture in the adult pool?

Like I've said before, community can only do so much if PGI doesn't want to help. If PGI wants to work on FP, I will gladly offer my assistance. Other than that we probably slowly lose FP players.

#14 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Subcommander
  • Subcommander
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 09:49 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 15 February 2022 - 06:40 AM, said:

Simple, just remove mechbay rewards from the lower rungs of the faction ladder and put them higher. Low hanging fruit removed, newbs who want to play FP just for the mechbays disappear.

That is true, but PGI doesnt wanna do that so whats the only option?

I would like to play only decent games, but its not gonna happen.

Seems like QP is bleeding players and ppl complaining about 12-0 matches all day. FP would be nice place for ppl who like it more interesting fighting, but its not gonna happen without big event and rebranding it to FP 4.2 or 5.0

But end of all its just about PGI making enough money to keep MWO alive. Im just throwing some options to keep game alive...

Edited by Kotis77, 15 February 2022 - 09:59 AM.

#15 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 03:57 PM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 15 February 2022 - 06:40 AM, said:

Simple, just remove mechbay rewards from the lower rungs of the faction ladder and put them higher. Low hanging fruit removed, newbs who want to play FP just for the mechbays disappear.

Strongly disagree.
Making rewards crappier is not going to incentivize anyone into the mode.
And 'newbs' aren't going to spend hours and hours and hours maxxing out their faction rep just for a free mechbay.
If anything, FP rewards need to be juiced up, not down.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 15 February 2022 - 03:58 PM.

#16 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:28 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 15 February 2022 - 03:57 PM, said:

Strongly disagree.
Making rewards crappier is not going to incentivize anyone into the mode.
And 'newbs' aren't going to spend hours and hours and hours maxxing out their faction rep just for a free mechbay.
If anything, FP rewards need to be juiced up, not down.

?? Merely shifting rewards = crappier?
And the purpose is to literally stop newbs who don't know better, who have been poorly advised from people on Youtube or whatever sites to play Faction Play for easy mechbays, from getting stomped and having a bad experience in Faction Play, so that in the future when they do not have that bad experience that they may attribute to the game mode rather than their lack of experience.

FP rewards need to be juicier for sure, so best of both worlds = increase rewards, set a skill gate to prevent cadets and maybe Tier 5s from playing FP. And before people start complaining about the idea of banning Tier 5s from Faction Play, T3s are already crying when they get matched up against T1s in QP.

#17 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 09:11 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 16 February 2022 - 03:28 AM, said:

?? Merely shifting rewards = crappier?
And the purpose is to literally stop newbs who don't know better, who have been poorly advised from people on Youtube or whatever sites to play Faction Play for easy mechbays, from getting stomped and having a bad experience in Faction Play, so that in the future when they do not have that bad experience that they may attribute to the game mode rather than their lack of experience.

FP rewards need to be juicier for sure, so best of both worlds = increase rewards, set a skill gate to prevent cadets and maybe Tier 5s from playing FP. And before people start complaining about the idea of banning Tier 5s from Faction Play, T3s are already crying when they get matched up against T1s in QP.

I think we're arguing different points.
You're saying you want to gatekeep the scrubs out of factionplay, so they will only play when they're 'ready'.
I can see the logic- opening the gates at Boreal Vault is a huge problem with a bad team, for example.

Faction Play *should* be the mainstream game mode, and it needs to be at critical mass to be successful. It should be the mode that the average player logs into for their 4-5 hour primetime block of gameplay after work/school. If we had critical mass, then the average player could get on and face another team of average players, and have good games.

Quickplay should be what they play before/after they play faction play, to level up mechs, to kill 10-30 minutes of time, etc. Faction Play should be the place to go to earn good rewards.

Just imagine if PGI traded the match matchers for FP and Quickplay.
Made FP balanced matches in a SOUP QUEUE, and allowed 12 player teams in Quickplay but no PSR system.
Would the average player naturally migrate to Faction Play?

Edited by feeWAIVER, 16 February 2022 - 09:15 AM.

#18 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:43 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 16 February 2022 - 09:11 AM, said:

I think we're arguing different points.
You're saying you want to gatekeep the scrubs out of factionplay, so they will only play when they're 'ready'.
I can see the logic- opening the gates at Boreal Vault is a huge problem with a bad team, for example.

Faction Play *should* be the mainstream game mode, and it needs to be at critical mass to be successful. It should be the mode that the average player logs into for their 4-5 hour primetime block of gameplay after work/school. If we had critical mass, then the average player could get on and face another team of average players, and have good games.

Quickplay should be what they play before/after they play faction play, to level up mechs, to kill 10-30 minutes of time, etc. Faction Play should be the place to go to earn good rewards.

Just imagine if PGI traded the match matchers for FP and Quickplay.
Made FP balanced matches in a SOUP QUEUE, and allowed 12 player teams in Quickplay but no PSR system.
Would the average player naturally migrate to Faction Play?

As much as FP was intended to be the main game mode back then, it is never going to happen. At most FP will coexist with QP.

#19 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Subcommander
  • Subcommander
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 06:51 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 16 February 2022 - 03:28 AM, said:

And before people start complaining about the idea of banning Tier 5s from Faction Play, T3s are already crying when they get matched up against T1s in QP.

It should have done long time ago. But dont know about nowdays. Seen cadets in QP tier 1 matches after waiting like 5-10 mins for match. I think game now needs every player available...

#20 B O O M E R A N G

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:40 PM

FP is fun, thanks for promoting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users