26 replies to this topic

#1 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio Texas

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:24 AM

Hey y'all so first off just wanted to give you a bit of my background.
I am a mid tier pilot. Pretty much forever stuck at pilot rank 5 it seems. When I first started playing MWO IS was all there was and even when the Clan Mechs first dropped I was pretty pretty hardcore IS. Eventually however, I was dragged into Clan Jade Falcon and rolled with a Jade Falcon unit for some time. It was there that I got my first taste of faction play. I cannot say I remember a whole lot about it but I did get SOME experience with it. It was also during this time that I committed relatively wholesale to Clan Mechs. I have 13 clan mechs in all and only a small handful of remaining IS mech. Hench why I am posting here under Clans. I don't think I could ever go back to IS.

Lore wise I cannot claim to be the expert on Battle Tech lore I want to be but I do know some. I played the table top a bit with my dad as a kid and I have a bunch of the books and box sets that one day I hope to drag back off the shelf. Most of my lore knowledge comes from that and some youtube here or there. I had always thought of myself as Clan Wolf but when I got drafted into Jade Falcon I did a little bit of tweaking to my head cannon for my pilot. Essentially making him a Clan Wolf Warrior whose group ended up losing in a clan dispute with Jade Falcon and thus ended up piloting for them. Since I know the Clans do that to some extent.

So what am I looking for out of a Unit?
I am looking for a Clan unit that uses Discord as their primary Coms. I have a very busy life and often end up having to leave the game for months at a time. So I would prefer an unit that is okay with that. A crew that I know will be around anytime I do have time to play and the itch to pilot, but will not be breathing down my neck if I am am off the game for a few weeks or even months. I know that may be a bit too much to ask since most folks have activity requirements but I really do not want to keep bouncing from unit to unit every time I take a break from the game. I am looking for my forever Unit as it were.
As far as Faction I have a preference to Jade Falcon, since I sunk a chunk of cash into jade falcon warhorns, Camo specs, ect. I do have a bit of Clan Wolf stuff as well, as sorta an homage to both my origins in the battle tech table top and my head cannon for my pilot. But ultimately if you have an active unit that fights for the clans and is willing to be my forever unit even with the fact that I often take long breaks from the game, I am willing to sink the cash into repping new colors.

Edited by Pyrazire, 09 February 2022 - 12:26 AM.

#2 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:51 PM

hmm i'll give you a boost, here in forum, but you need to get DISCORD, and maybe teamspeak, follow the forums, others folks are asking for help, we still have many pilots playing last count i made was 23000.

GOOD LUCK SAWK --- clanner

#3 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:30 PM

View PostSawk, on 09 February 2022 - 04:51 PM, said:

hmm i'll give you a boost, here in forum, but you need to get DISCORD, and maybe teamspeak, follow the forums, others folks are asking for help, we still have many pilots playing last count i made was 23000.

GOOD LUCK SAWK --- clanner

Thanks man. Yeah I do have Discord. Discord is my primary Voice Software these days. Back in my Planetside 2 days I used to run alot of Teamspeak but I don't use it at all anymore. I am fully Discord these days. Is there a core discord I should be joining for MWO or Clans in general? I have been out of the loop for a while now and only ever rolled with the 1 Jade Falcon Unit I mentioned in my post.

#4 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 05:02 PM

HMM well first, thing you need to do, is talk with folks in game, that is all i do, long story about why i do not discord, but do talk in game, and folks will help if you ASK. BUT be warned there are all types of FOLKS, i have herd of some large DISCORD sites, and a few teamspeaks.
SO speak in game and see where it takes you, well i am off to fight, almost to 21000 drops, and 700 million credits LOL.

LUCK TO YOU SAWK

#5 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:44 PM

Check the comp forums. The MWO comp discord has lots of units that use it. They recruit from there as well.

#6 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:35 PM

View PostSawk, on 10 February 2022 - 05:02 PM, said:

HMM well first, thing you need to do, is talk with folks in game, that is all i do, long story about why i do not discord, but do talk in game, and folks will help if you ASK. BUT be warned there are all types of FOLKS, i have herd of some large DISCORD sites, and a few teamspeaks.
SO speak in game and see where it takes you, well i am off to fight, almost to 21000 drops, and 700 million credits LOL.

LUCK TO YOU SAWK

Yeah I def use my mic in match alot. I am not using it right now as much as I would like since I currently have Covid and my throat is all torn up but I for sure tend to use the mic in game. I have made friends that way. Made a couple the other night in fact. But I think that just talking on mic and hoping that I find a unit that fits me like a glove is an inefficient and naive way to do things.
Now granted, I am not sure that posting here on the forums will net me any better. But I figured since I already talk in game chat I might as well post here as well. Get myself out there. Tell people what I am looking for and hey maybe I get lucky ya know? I have also been poking around the Clan section of the forums as well. Slowly combing through outfits and such. Looking to see if anything jumps out at me.

That does bring me to a question, however. I have been playing games a long time. I totally understand that there was a day and age where Teamspeak was the best on the block. But what I do not understand is why so much of the MWO community still uses it as a primary. That to me blows my mind. Like I have met folks playing MWO who are probably young enough that they do not even know what Team Speak is. So the fact that it seems to be the mainstay of many Units still sorta baffles me. Is there a reason for it, like utility wise?

View Postccrider, on 10 February 2022 - 08:44 PM, said:

Check the comp forums. The MWO comp discord has lots of units that use it. They recruit from there as well.

Alrighty. I have not made my way over to that section of the forums yet. I will check it out.

#7 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:10 PM

View PostPyrazire, on 10 February 2022 - 10:35 PM, said:

Yeah I def use my mic in match alot. I am not using it right now as much as I would like since I currently have Covid and my throat is all torn up but I for sure tend to use the mic in game. I have made friends that way. Made a couple the other night in fact. But I think that just talking on mic and hoping that I find a unit that fits me like a glove is an inefficient and naive way to do things.
Now granted, I am not sure that posting here on the forums will net me any better. But I figured since I already talk in game chat I might as well post here as well. Get myself out there. Tell people what I am looking for and hey maybe I get lucky ya know? I have also been poking around the Clan section of the forums as well. Slowly combing through outfits and such. Looking to see if anything jumps out at me.

That does bring me to a question, however. I have been playing games a long time. I totally understand that there was a day and age where Teamspeak was the best on the block. But what I do not understand is why so much of the MWO community still uses it as a primary. That to me blows my mind. Like I have met folks playing MWO who are probably young enough that they do not even know what Team Speak is. So the fact that it seems to be the mainstay of many Units still sorta baffles me. Is there a reason for it, like utility wise?

Alrighty. I have not made my way over to that section of the forums yet. I will check it out.
most units have switched to discord. We use TS because none of us needs the extras that Discord provides, the price for TS is low enough to not matter and it doesn't ask for any personal information. But if your preference is discord, the majority of units are on it. Good luck in your search. 07

#8 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 05:31 PM

i guess i should ask --- what is your fav MECH to play, mine is a LASER vomit timberwolf, silly : )

SAWK

#9 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 08:56 AM

View Postccrider, on 10 February 2022 - 11:10 PM, said:

most units have switched to discord. We use TS because none of us needs the extras that Discord provides, the price for TS is low enough to not matter and it doesn't ask for any personal information. But if your preference is discord, the majority of units are on it. Good luck in your search. 07

Yeah I suppose I get that for sure.
I transitioned from TS to mumble when I stopped playing shooters for a long while and was mostly playing MMOs back in like... IDK 2015. Then when discord came along and was sorta like mumble but with better text chat options and free my groups at the time sorta transitioned to that. At this point I am part of a number of major communities on discord and all told a member in like 20+ servers. I stopped using Facebook mostly and discord is sorta my main social hub online. I text with it too, since I have it on my phone and most of my friends are on it.
Discord sorta has the capacity to function as everything from a social media site, to a game coms tool, and even a great business tool for meetings, and keeping files and notes organized. But if you are not looking for all those extra features I can see the appeal of something clean like TS. Plus I do miss whisper groups. That is one feature I hope Discord implements at some point in time. Makes large scale ops in PVP games much easier.

#10 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:21 AM

View PostSawk, on 11 February 2022 - 05:31 PM, said:

i guess i should ask --- what is your fav MECH to play, mine is a LASER vomit timberwolf, silly : )

SAWK

I honestly do not have a favorite mech. I did when I was playing IS. For whatever reason I used to really love the shadowhawk. Going back and messing around with the two shadowhawks I have left I am not really sure why I liked it so much. These days though I don't really have a favorite. I have everything from assaults to heavies to lights, missle boats, brawlers, snipers, laserboats.
I have 13 clan mechs in all. Only one of them I am considering getting rid of though I might still find a build for it I like. I got like 2 free mech bays still too. Probably gonna get a Jenner IIC and a sunspider to fill in those slots. The Jenner has always been one of my fav IS mechs so picking up the IIC is sorta a no brainer, plus i do not have any SRM light mechs atm.

But yeah that is a little bit about my mech preference. I would be happy to talk shop and builds sometime Sawk. I did accept ur friend request in game. I took a couple days off cause all that grinding was wearing on me. So I swapped to pokemon for a couple days and ground that instead hahahaha.

#11 Juvat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 671 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechbay tinkering with my Mechs...

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:04 AM

Always welcome to swing by the-bwc.com and check us out. Multi-game community who have been around for 18+ years. Pretty active MWO group. Tell them Juvat sent ya :)

#12 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 10:37 PM

View PostJuvat, on 14 February 2022 - 08:04 AM, said:

Always welcome to swing by the-bwc.com and check us out. Multi-game community who have been around for 18+ years. Pretty active MWO group. Tell them Juvat sent ya Posted Image

Wait wait wait... I poked around ur website for a second or two and now I gotta know... are y'all THIS Black Widow Company?

#13 Juvat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 06:01 AM

Yep we sure are :)

#14 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:40 PM

View PostJuvat, on 15 February 2022 - 06:01 AM, said:

Yep we sure are Posted Image

LMFAO... so you will not believe this... I almost joined y'all back when PS2 dropped. I thought long and hard about it. Ultimately I ended up rolling with the 666th Devil Dogs pretty much until they fell apart. Still have laser engraved dog tags from my time in RRT with the 666th. Cause I was that nerd hahahaha. I ended up picking Space Murica over the Space Commies. That was the driving reason I joined the Dogs instead of BWC. ****** Crazy small world man. God Planetside 2 is a game I miss as well. Not sure I could ever justify moving to the TR thou... even if I do sign on with y'all for MWO.
You guys use discord mostly or Teamspeak mostly? I saw y'all got both.

#15 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 04:51 PM

well your off and running WOOT, by the way, i would say you should look at the EBON JAG, the lazer vomit, nice 44 point alpha strike, when you learn jets get timberwolf : ), and a madcat.

SAWK good luck in your new unit : )

#16 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:31 PM

View PostSawk, on 15 February 2022 - 04:51 PM, said:

well your off and running WOOT, by the way, i would say you should look at the EBON JAG, the lazer vomit, nice 44 point alpha strike, when you learn jets get timberwolf : ), and a madcat.

SAWK good luck in your new unit : )

LOL yeah no I looked at the Ebon Jag. I like it for sure but the problem is that it does not do Jump Jets... and like a true Jade Falcon Clanner I don't do anything that does not fly.

Also not sure I am gonna join BWC yet but I am for sure looking at it. Hopefully BWC will not be the only group to comment here. Would be nice to have some options. Though I am already familiar with the reputation of BWC at the very least.

#17 Juvat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:44 PM

we use both... depends on the game. We are organized around the games we play. If you decide to join or even want to hang out you'll see what I am talking about when you hop onto our comms. You can find all of the info for them from our home page.

#18 Pyrazire

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:49 PM

View PostJuvat, on 15 February 2022 - 10:44 PM, said:

we use both... depends on the game. We are organized around the games we play. If you decide to join or even want to hang out you'll see what I am talking about when you hop onto our comms. You can find all of the info for them from our home page.

Would you be down to sit down with me some time in the next week or so and kinda give me a rundown of things? Maybe I can get to know some of the guys before I make my decision?

#19 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:27 AM

View PostPyrazire, on 15 February 2022 - 10:49 PM, said:

Would you be down to sit down with me some time in the next week or so and kinda give me a rundown of things? Maybe I can get to know some of the guys before I make my decision?

It usually is the norm to have some deliberate chat / talks and common drops in MWO before one joins and/or is allowed to join a unit, so I would not assume that BWC - nor any other unit - will force you into some kind of decision prematurely or with guns drawn.

The vast majority of MWOs community is pretty appreciable and mature most of the time (compared to other games for certain) without hard unit-borders drawn in-game plus em BWC folks are kinda nice lads afaik. Once ye dropped often enough, you will recognize - and be recognized by - most members / units of the core-community anyhow. Decent people will find a suitable spot to be in / people to play with in this game very easily - if they put in a little effort and adhere to basic social standards that is.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 16 February 2022 - 12:28 AM.

#20 John De

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2022 - 04:40 AM

BWC is open to all. You get out what you put in, www.the-bwc.com .Come drop with us and see if you like it. There is no obligation to join. We have players level 5 to level 1. We have several players that rank in the top of MWO. BWC Red Backs (Comp Team) We have casual play almost every night for fun. We have trainings available to help you increase your skills.

John De
BWC MWO NCOIC

Edited by John De, 16 February 2022 - 04:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users