7 replies to this topic

#1 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2022 - 08:09 PM

I have downloaded several suggested mods via thew Steam workshop. However, the in-game mod menu doesn't seem to enable any of my mods. They appear in the menu and when I click the tick to enable them it tells me to restart the client. However, once I restart nothing in the menu has a tick next to it to show it is enabled. I have only the vanilla game, no DLCs.

Edited by CrustyMech, 21 February 2022 - 08:10 PM.

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 04:23 AM

Well, i guess many mods are updated to work with the DLCs, so it may be the issue, even it is not stated explcitly.
Some mods depend on other mods, like MW5 Compatibility, MW5 CAB etc. that may also be an issue.
Some want a certain loading order that is via the Load Order Mod...
Maybe read Mechwarrior 5 Nexus for more info or the respective discords for the mods in regard if they have one.
I guess you have to try it...

Edited by Thorqemada, 22 February 2022 - 11:45 AM.

#3 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 22 February 2022 - 11:59 AM

To add to what Thorq said - I could be that some of the mods on Steam Workshop are not up to date. I've been going straight to Nexus mods and downloading them. They have been keeping up to date with all the ones I use. Check the date to see if has been updated since mid last year. If you put them in the Mods folder, they show up when you go to the Mods section. For me, the Mods folder is located at:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries\MW5Mercs\Mods

Usually they show above the Steam Workshop mods. Make sure tot copy the entire folder into the Mods folder of the download. For example: The Yet Another Mechlab mod is downloaded as a ZIP file. In it there is a folder named YetAnotherMechlab which has two subfolders (Paks and Resources) and a mod.json file. You want to copy the top level folder over from the ZIP file to the Mods folder.

https://www.nexusmod...naries/mods/459

In addition, you'll find a lot of help over on the MW5 Reddit. The community over there is great. The MW5 forum here is dead. I only post things here because I know they won't disappear from site anytime soon so to redirect new players there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/

Have fun!

Edited by KodiakGW, 22 February 2022 - 12:17 PM.

#4 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2022 - 12:06 PM

Well, only one of the mods explicitly states the DLCs as a requirement so I dunno... I'll keep looking, thanks for the reply though.

#5 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2022 - 12:16 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 22 February 2022 - 11:59 AM, said:

To add to what Thorq said - I could be that some of the mods on Steam Workshop are not up to date. I've been going straight to Nexus mods and downloading them. They have been keeping up to date with all the ones I use. Check the date to see if has been updated since mid last year. If you put them in the Mods folder, they show up when you go to the Mods section. For me, the Mods folder is located at:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries\MW5Mercs\Mods

Usually they show above the Steam Workshop mods. Make sure tot copy the entire folder into the Mods folder of the download. For example: The Yet Another Mechlab mod is downloaded as a ZIP file. In it their is a folder named YetAnotherMechlab which has two subfolders (Paks and Resources) and a mod.json file. You want to copy the top level folder over from the ZIP file to the Mods folder.

https://www.nexusmod...naries/mods/459

In addition, you'll find a lot of help over on the MW5 Reddit. The community over there is great. The MW5 forum here is dead. I only post things here because I know they won't disappear from site anytime soon so to redirect new players there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip, I'll post over in the reddit forum and see what happens.

Most of the mods in the Steam workshop seem to be same version as on Nexus... in fact there are a couple that have moved from Nexus to Steam and Reddit so there is that... odd that they show in the game menu but there is no way to 'apply' them.

BTW, I used to play MWO religiously (I was a whale) until I realized they were not going to advance the game anymore. Then I was in on the pre-order for MW5 until it was delayed so I went the refund route. It finally goes on sale late last year for peanuts so I bought it.... after seeing Baradul's videos with all the mods applied. Now I get stuck at this.... bug? Posted Image Oh well, I'll add it to my long list of cursed games I have purchased in the last 30 years...

*** Edit - I looked in my mods folder and it's empty? Yet the in-game menu lists the 6 or so that I downloaded. A PGI bug perhaps??? Unheard of.

Edited by CrustyMech, 22 February 2022 - 01:01 PM.

#6 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 09:09 PM

In the Mod Menu there is an Option "Manual Install Folder" and it installs a fresh mod folder.
I dont know if it would delete and existing mod folder but that may be the case...if not something else happened like Steam Workshop having installed its mods elsewhere...other games do it that way.

#7 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2022 - 10:34 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 23 February 2022 - 09:09 PM, said:

In the Mod Menu there is an Option "Manual Install Folder" and it installs a fresh mod folder.
I dont know if it would delete and existing mod folder but that may be the case...if not something else happened like Steam Workshop having installed its mods elsewhere...other games do it that way.

Actually solved this last night with help of a fantastic person named Rothe over on the MercTech discord channel. He had me clear out MODS folder, unsubscribe all from the Steam workshop and then download and unzip a large group of the mods I was looking for into the "\Steam\steamapps\common\MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries\MW5Mercs\Mods" folder . Then I snagged the modslist.json file that applied to the mods, dropped it into the folder. Voila - all working. Looks like a brand new game!

#8 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 25 February 2022 - 04:54 AM

View PostCrustyMech, on 24 February 2022 - 10:34 AM, said:

Actually solved this last night with help of a fantastic person named Rothe over on the MercTech discord channel. He had me clear out MODS folder, unsubscribe all from the Steam workshop and then download and unzip a large group of the mods I was looking for into the "\Steam\steamapps\common\MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries\MW5Mercs\Mods" folder . Then I snagged the modslist.json file that applied to the mods, dropped it into the folder. Voila - all working. Looks like a brand new game!

Sorry I missed your edit. But as I mentioned, these forums are dead for MW5 players. Never had that issue, so I probably wouldn’t have been able to assist. Glad you found help, and enjoying the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users