A Cheat ? ? ?

265 replies to this topic

#1 the wee free folk

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:29 AM

Okay I know how this title sounds.
In the last week during matches I have heard over the comms several times something akin to "someone must be cheating, i just went from full armour to cored in less than a second!" And I have just thought oh yeah, you just didn't see the dude with twin heavy gauss at your back. But it happened to me this morning, I'm there behind a wall, then this light comes up to me, i get a lock so i know he has a **** load of small lasers, i dump 3ml and 6 mg on them there is one blast of his lasers and then PHASIZZLE im cored . . . 64 armour points through in one hit, the display comes up with you have been destroyed, displays a load of damage and hits that just can't have been there . . .

So is there a cheat out there, I play this game because it seemed fair and cheats couldn't exist.
Please tell me there is a known glitch, goodness knows this game has glitches.

#2 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:43 AM

No screenshot.

Ammo explosion?

#3 the wee free folk

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:54 AM

ah...screen shot, there's the rub, too aghast at the thing to think.
Ammo explosion . . . using case on all areas.
But thanks.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:10 AM

View PostMo Thistledown, on 09 March 2022 - 12:54 AM, said:

ah...screen shot, there's the rub, too aghast at the thing to think.
But thanks.

Depends. CASE only prevents damage from an ammo explosion to transfer from the CASE-protected component deeper inward. But if you are running an XL and ammo in your ST explodes, you'll die nonetheless.

It is very well possible that no cheat was involved. Also something else might have hit you from behind while you were turned towards the light. Impossible to say more without a screenshot or a clip.

#5 the wee free folk

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:27 AM

See I hear what your saying . . .
standard engine though and it was at the start of the game. who else would have been around let alone in range.

#6 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:31 AM

View PostMo Thistledown, on 09 March 2022 - 12:29 AM, said:

In the last week during matches I have heard over the comms several times something akin to "someone must be cheating, i just went from full armour to cored in less than a second!" And I have just thought oh yeah, you just didn't see the dude with twin heavy gauss at your back. But it happened to me this morning, I'm there behind a wall, then this light comes up to me, i get a lock so i know he has a **** load of small lasers, i dump 3ml and 6 mg on them there is one blast of his lasers and then PHASIZZLE im cored . . . 64 armour points through in one hit, the display comes up with you have been destroyed, displays a load of damage and hits that just can't have been there . . .

So is there a cheat out there, I play this game because it seemed fair and cheats couldn't exist.

You are not telling us much ....

1. We do not know the type and loadout of your 'Mech (weapons, ammo placement, CASE, armor allocation, etc.).

2. We do not know the type and loadout of the enemy 'Mech.

3. We have no video or screenshot that would show us the situation (your position, enemy position, other enemy 'Mechs, your previous damage, etc.).

4. We have no video or screenshot that would show us the cause of death.

Really, all we know is "I was killed by some enemy light 'Mech that was armed with small lasers." This is not much.

CASE contains your internal explosion in that CASE-equipped section, but nevertheless, the section is (almost) always completely destroyed.

Internal explosion in the CASE-protected side torso of an IS XL-engined 'Mech kills the 'Mech because it loses 3 engine slots.
Internal explosion in the center torso of a 'Mech almost always kills the 'Mech, CASE-protected or not.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:40 AM

View PostMo Thistledown, on 09 March 2022 - 01:27 AM, said:

standard engine though and it was at the start of the game. who else would have been around let alone in range.

There are some 'Mechs than can dish out significant concentrated damage on more than 800 metres - and some of those 'Mechs carry ECM so they are difficult to spot.

#8 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 02:09 AM

There are some cheats, extremely rare to see anyone use those (I have seen about 3 times ever since closed beta).

But like others said screenshot of your deathscreen could explain a lot (it shows with what you have been damaged and shows which location is destroyed and from which side) or even better some very short video.

If you are using Nvidia GPU consider using shadowplay --> https://www.nvidia.c...nce/shadowplay/ is easy to use and you can record AFTER something interesting has happened and it doesn't impact your performance almost at all.

there are options for non Nvidia GPUs also but people who use those can tell better than me...

Edited by Curccu, 09 March 2022 - 02:12 AM.

#9 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 09 March 2022 - 03:28 AM

View PostMo Thistledown, on 09 March 2022 - 12:29 AM, said:

Actually, I think this has happened to me a couple of times as well. I thought it must have been something I didnt see, but there have been two instances I can think of (once in my Fafnir, the other in my Corsair) where something screwy did seem to happen, I was fresh and undamaged, came round a corner with minimal exposure, was shot by a burn of lasers (CERML's for the Faf, cant remember the others) and went straight from an undamaged CT to orange internal structure. Both times I assumed it must have been something I had missed, but now you say other people are experiencing it, im not so sure.

#10 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 03:36 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 09 March 2022 - 03:28 AM, said:

Actually, I think this has happened to me a couple of times as well. I thought it must have been something I didnt see, but there have been two instances I can think of (once in my Fafnir, the other in my Corsair) where something screwy did seem to happen, I was fresh and undamaged, came round a corner with minimal exposure, was shot by a burn of lasers (CERML's for the Faf, cant remember the others) and went straight from an undamaged CT to orange internal structure. Both times I assumed it must have been something I had missed, but now you say other people are experiencing it, im not so sure.

Record games. very easy to watch with 20-25% speed later what actually happened.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 04:03 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 09 March 2022 - 03:28 AM, said:

1. It is quite possible that you were hit by two (or even more) enemy 'Mechs simultaneously - one closer to you (that you probably noticed) and the other one in some distance. Two or more big alphas hitting your 'Mech in one moment could do that.

Note that some ECM/Stealth snipers can be hard to spot.

2. If you really think that somebody is cheating, take screenshots or record your games.

#12 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 09 March 2022 - 05:40 AM

Without a screenshot or video, all one can do is speculate.

When the damage history was shown, did it list any weapons other than small lasers, particularly weapons the enemy mech in question did not have? That would be an indication you were hit by more than just that one mech.

Edited by knight-of-ni, 09 March 2022 - 05:24 PM.

#13 memorandum

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • Locationmidtjylland, denmark

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:15 AM

or a headshot !!

#14 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:35 AM

There are multiple mechs at this point with big alphas, e.g. the MAD-4L w/ 50pt PPFLD at 900m range, w/ ECM, JJ's, and sometimes stealth armor. Sometimes it's next to impossible to see until it hits you. I've also been seeing more LGR+HPPC 50pt alphas lately, although those top out at much lower optimal range (540m).

Are you sure you didn't just take a hit from something you didn't see at the same time the light mech was on you? Sometimes it feels like you're in a safe spot then you just blink out of existence...

Edited by GoodTry, 09 March 2022 - 08:37 AM.

#15 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 09 March 2022 - 09:25 AM

Ill try and record it, or grab a screengrab if it happens again. As I said, I didnt think anything of it until now, but it was unusual, especially as I didint note any other impacts.

#16 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 11:04 AM

My suggestion if this happens again is to keep spectating the match and see how things play out with the rest of your team. I had something similar happen one time when I was in a completely fresh Assault mech where I was certain someone had to be cheating. 100% health to dead in 1 shot to the CT. I kept watching and saw another teammate die in a similar manner. Turns out there were 3 lanners running the massed HML loadout under ECM. They were in a group and coordinating to simultaneously hit the same target. Teamwork is OP.

#17 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 11:20 AM

Yeah I know what you mean by sudden wtf. Was sniping a few days ago off to the side when suddenly my rear torso on an ISXL goes pop, best guess I got a dual gauss/plc or something that lucked out for max damage and maybe a bonus from the ppc critting vs about 40 total hp give or take, even if I was facing the Mech head on I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it
Edit: not a cheat mind you, just another sniper maneuvered while I was distracting the rest of their teammates

Edited by Alex Morgaine, 09 March 2022 - 11:21 AM.

#18 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:07 PM

Doesn't even take a sniper to do that, just a fast mech with a lot of mid range armament. My favorite for this is a Phoenix Hawk with 6 ML and 1 LL, runs about 105kph before any MASC. Against an unsuspecting target, that's 39 damage practically pinpoint. Repeat 3 seconds later if they haven't started dodging yet.

#19 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:50 PM

Pretty sure damage is server side and you can't fool the server into thinking you did more damage than possible. Client side cheat like aimbot and wallhacks sure, but a damage increase hack is impossible.

#20 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:24 PM

The only oddness I have noticed is that lately there seems to be an increase of 'too accurate' blue lazor snipers. I'm typically pretty good at spreading damage from lasers by always being on the move and twisting as I engage but recently over the last month or so I keep getting ct cored with the rest of the mech staying almost fresh and this is mostly on fleas and locust with their tiny hitbox. Aimbots are not impossible since the game engine allows for it if you know how to do the hax and the recent cauldron buff of lasers might have tempted a few players to join the dark side. It's not a huge issue as it seems to happen more late night US time and only a few times a play session.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users