Help Me Pick A Hero Mech

10 replies to this topic

#1 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 04:40 PM

With hero mechs on sale I realized I actually have enough MC to get one...or possibly even 2. However I'm indecisive as all hell, so while trying to decide what I actually wanted to get I narrowed it down to a few picks and why, so here I am asking the internet to help me pick(Because that never goes wrong.)

Cobra Cat- I actually use the Nova cat semi-regularly, and often wished I had indirect fire when the prime's armor starts getting low or wished I had 2 more laser hardpoints on the Nova-B...this is basically exactly the compromise I could've hoped for.

I haven't used the nova-B as much after the ATM nerf(largely due to the lack of a good deterrent for mechs closing in on it) but cobra cat might solve that problem. I figure 2xlrm15 2xlrm10's 2xLpl's and the 2x er mediums would be a good start...maybe drop a medium for a tag and 1 heatsink for BAP or a TC.

Kin Wolf- Yes I also play gargoyles. I like the thing because it's a fast assault and doesn't need to manage MASC usage like the executioner does to get it that speed. Most gar variants don't have torso mounts at all so this is an upgrade in build options but also...dat paint job. Not sure how I'd build it but probably a lot of streaks...don't know why but lately I've been into using streaks maybe because they felt really good to use during the 8v8 weekend.

Pakhet- Only recent started using a Huntsman-C and I kind of love it. Considering getting the pakhet but I feel like the builds would be really similar and potentially not worth getting the hero just for one more missile hardpoint even if it does have a velocity quirk. This would undoubtedly be some kind of missile boat i've been using streaks but I'd probably experiment with lrms a bit since ATM's are not worth the weight to equip right now.

Breaker- I originally played Nova's...A lot, it was almost the only mech I ran besides the gargoyle and occasional kit fox, and breaker adds the possibility of going missile nova with it's missile arm and ammo capacity quirks. Which would be a fresh feel compared to my usual laser fist novas but probably overlaps a bit with the huntsman play style. I like the paintjob too and it gets bonus points by virtue of being a nova...But I also already have like...3 or 4 novas.Or had I think I sold one off after we no longer needed multiples to unlock skill trees.

Warrant- Another case of I kinda want it and like the look of it but I realized the build I'd probably put on it would basically be a timby-c(which i already have) or I'd end up just double AC-20'ing or AC+LBX20'ing since buying it gives you the other ballistic arm hardpoint you'd need for that.

Ultraviolet- I know it's good, and i probably should get one, but I don't really enjoy piloting the dire wolf. If only there was a dire wolf with a bigger engine. It's just too damn slow.I have the same problem with Fafnir's, and yet I seem to do ok with a supernova despite it being the widest mech known to man. Also even on sale if I bought it I probably wouldn't be getting anything else.

I also considered the blood asp and battlemaster hero's as those are assaults I actually DO enjoy using, and before you ask. Yes I have madcat's, and no I don't really want the deathstrike. I have the B and the A and that's enough Madcat's.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 03:50 AM

One or two random ideas, if I may ...

1) Breaker has many locked DHS and 14.5 tons of pod space. That is not much.

Also there is the question: What kind of missiles would you run? My experience with Nova is that Nova is not agile enough to brawl with SRMs, ATMs have been nerfed and there are better 'Mechs for running LRMs ....

2) Pakhet has 24 tons of pod space. Do I need to say more? Posted Image

3) Kin Wolf can have six missile hardpoints. You can carry some Streak SRMs, that's true. But in my opinion using Streaks creates some bad habits and does not help with improving your gunnery skills.

4) Warrant has that ballistic arm, that's true. I am just not sure that Madcat is the best 'Mech for running ballistic weapons and/or brawling with them.

5) Cobra Cat is not a bad 'Mech - not too great, not too bad. If yu would like to run Clan LRMs or ATMs, you can buy it, if you wish.

6) Ultraviolet offers some interesting OmniPods, but as you have noticed, it is still slow. Your choice. Posted Image

Two questions:
1. What is your play style?

2. What about some Inner Sphere Hero 'Mechs?

#3 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 08:25 AM

I wasn't thinking of breaker as a srm brawler more as a SRM ambusher or a mix of SRM's on the left side and ersmalls or mediums on the right side, jump over a ledge/hill pop them and fade or get to high ground and fire down.I've long since learned not to sit there and face trade in the nova if at all possible, sure it's not the most agile mech but it's mobile enough to hit and move. Admittedly very map dependent for cover though.

As for my playstyle, I'm not fixated on any one style, I'd say I prefer mid-range fighting if I had to pick something but I've done pretty much everything at some point or another, LRM's(I've actually hit tier 1 in the Nova Cat-B before), Brawling in my gargoyle was my main style for awhile, Then I picked up trying gauss/ppc's and LL sniping. I'm not terribly fond of sniping in this game PPC's feel...wrong and gauss is mostly reserved for my Blood Asp and SunSpider. I never really got into SRM's except for back when stormcrow splat was popular and I didn't like it then, but I think that had more to do with me not liking the feel of the stormcrow than the srms.

On IS mechs, Honestly most of them I just don't like the design of, my favorites are the battlemaster, centurion, rifleman, and zeus...I also kind of like the dragon despite it being terrible because in my head it's just a fat centurion and the idea is hillarious to me. I mean honestly it's like they just took the centurion added 10 tons to it, just to cram missiles in the CT, and called it a day.

I didn't mention the battlemaster hero because I can't imagine needing another one after the 1g, it's just so damn good and I like the zeus for similar reasons to why I like the gargoyle, it's a fast(ish) assault. I looked at Sokomish and saw it had an XL engine AND needed masc to get moving and went "Nope." Unless there's a good build for it I'm unaware of I can't see myself running that.

Legend Killer seemed 'meh', Chironex maybe for the IIC, and that just leaves centurion hero which i don't think i've ever even seen anyone use.

Edited by Dekallis, 26 March 2022 - 08:48 AM.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 08:55 AM

Posted Image

Your choice. After all, you will use your 'Mechs.

#5 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 03:50 PM

Ok, with the loot bag pick-a-prize being a hero mech, I'ma gonna bump this up.

What are some of the good choices? I already have all of the light heroes, and all the medium heroes that I want, and I'm looking at maybe picking up an assault or heavy. I have the Tempest, two Riflemen (but I think one of those is a loyalty instead of a hero), two Roughnecks, and the Top Dog. I am leaning to the Misery, Heavy Metal, or maybe even the Thanny, but since I mostly run lights/mediums I'm not sure which heavy/assault heroes are worthwhile. Jester, maybe? Like I said, I dunno.

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 18 July 2022 - 05:23 PM

View PostErtur, on 18 July 2022 - 03:50 PM, said:

Ok, with the loot bag pick-a-prize being a hero mech, I'ma gonna bump this up.

Well for starters, have you watched this? It's Phil's opinion piece, but he's in tune with what makes an effective build. https://youtu.be/25FyrUt7qxg

Of the few you're leaning toward...

Thanatos is an ECM energy boat, which incorporates a "stink fist". Sneaky ER Lasers plus close range punch is one way to play it, or perhaps high mounted pair of Heavy PPCs. https://mwo.nav-alph...459dd14c_TNS-HA

Misery is sort of a niche Stalker build, in that its the only one with a ballistic hardpoint. Most common thing to do with it right now is a left-side/right-side brawler. https://mwo.nav-alph...=0db774cd_STK-M

Heavy Metal is a pop-tart build. It is unique in that it has no jump shake, so you can fire while the jets are on instead of only while you're falling. Build to that. PPCs and AC or Gauss, nothing you have to stay exposed to use like lasers or MRMs. https://mwo.nav-alph...e9b57da3_HGN-HM

And the Jester is a solid choice. Two high mounted Heavy PPC plus 4 mediums, or 4 large lasers and 2 AMS. Solid stuff.
https://mwo.nav-alph...626f1754_CPLT-J
https://mwo.nav-alph...7cca1d9d_CPLT-J

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 18 July 2022 - 05:24 PM.

#7 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 18 July 2022 - 07:19 PM

Not quite sure what you are really looking for in Assault/Hero mechs, other than you prefer "faster" mechs. ie: do you prefer ballistic or laser? Obviously no machine guns in Assaults...

~Cyclops Sleipnir - 4x ballistic LT/RT, agile mech, goes 55-60kph on LE engine depending on your mech layout
~Stalker Misery - I second Scrapiron Prime's suggestion; I just bought one at full MC price a few weeks ago (ouch)

~Marauder IIC Scorch - ballistic main weapons in arms, usually with SRM also.
~Kodiak Spirit Bear - only if you are into MASC (not sure if your Light mechs have MASC)
~Executioner Cherbi - Omnimech with MASC+JJ (" " ")
~Madcat II Deathstrike - Ballistic arms + 6x energy hardpoints!

As you can see, in general Clan Assaults are faster than IS Assaults!

- - - - - - - - - -
Oh, and here are a few more Hero mech suggestions:
~Data Assault Hero Mech Review
~Data Heavy Hero Mech Review
~Data Medium & Light Hero Mech Review

#8 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the advice and videos. Looking at Sleipner at the moment. Fortunately I'll have a week or two to think on it.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:08 AM

View PostErtur, on 19 July 2022 - 07:17 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice and videos. Looking at Sleipner at the moment. Fortunately I'll have a week or two to think on it.

Late breaking news... the patch notes have revived the Banshee hero La Malinche. Add that to your list of possible choices.

https://mwomercs.com...he-la-malinche/

#10 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 12:28 PM

Wow this post was several months old but thanks anyway.

I previously picked up the Cobra Cat and Kin Wolf, both worked out pretty well in tier 2 matches then the MM broke and it's been wild using them. I picked up the Ultraviolet from the hero grabbag since it's kinda the only logical choice though I did consider the rancor but the state of ATM's makes it probably not worth it.

As for why I don't like MASC, it's because it's usually a waste of space on IS mechs, in Skokomish for example you can dump the masc free up 4tons and 4 slots and simply upgrade the engine and get to over 70kph and instead of depending on a breakable part for speed your mech just has that speed. Also don't like how MASC screws with weapon accuracy even for a second or so after you turn it off.

I'm not sure what I'll get next time mechs are on sale but I'm sitting on another 7k MC so probably pick up a couple of mediums or lights next time.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 04:32 AM

View PostDekallis, on 19 July 2022 - 12:28 PM, said:

As for why I don't like MASC, it's because it's usually a waste of space on IS mechs, in Skokomish for example you can dump the masc free up 4tons and 4 slots and simply upgrade the engine and get to over 70kph and instead of depending on a breakable part for speed your mech just has that speed. Also don't like how MASC screws with weapon accuracy even for a second or so after you turn it off.

I use MASC in MWO only rarely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users