New Mw5 Gog Install Crashing Entire System

6 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 06:40 PM

I just installed the GOG Jumpship Edition of MW5 and I can't get past the main menu. I get that far and about 10-20 seconds later, the game and my task bar on my 2nd monitor lock up, then about 5 seconds later my mouse cursor locks up. At that point I have to hit the reset button on my tower.

At first I thought my EVGA GTX 770 driver being out of date was the culprit, but that's not the case. I'm not sure what else it can be. Thoughts?

My system has a i5-6600k CPU at stock speed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and the game is in the Program Files x86 GOG default directory on a 1 TB HDD.

#2 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 09:41 AM

Does no one know the answer? I've asked two other places and no one's responding. Guess I'll get a refund if I can't get it work by the time that window expires :(

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 05:00 PM

Well, a system that old has its quirks for sure and as you barely match the minimum requirements of the game trouble is not surprising.

Try run it with only 1 Monitor and see if it starts.

Do you have enough free disk/ssd space for the Windows swapfiles?

Does your GPU/CPU probably overheat? Its old and the cooling may be inefficient for this demanding game...

Is your PSU wattage adequate? PSUs age and deliver less power at age while aged PCs become more sensitive to power deficits...

Overclocking may be a bad idea - run anything on Stock value!

the GOG forums may have an answer if you have not read them yet...

Best of luck!

#4 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:48 AM

I realized that I didn't do a clean install of the drivers when I switched from my dead GTX 760 to a spare second-hand GTX 770 a few months ago. The clean install helped a few things, notably overheating or bad thermistor readings on the card, not quite sure. MW5 ran farther - I got to at least back up in the Centurion in the tutorial - then it crashed again!

I've taken a break from trying to get MW5 to run properly and my desktop has crashed a few times since just browsing with Firefox, and at least one case of a crash at the freakin' login screen. Each time the system rebooted itself it dropped one of my two screens and caused graphical corruption on the other in the form of short, white horizontal lines that kinda moved as my mouse cursor moved. Most times a restart solves the issue, but at least two occasions it didn't.

I'm thinking now that my graphics card is dying :( I was hoping to get a little more mileage out of it. I'll see about replacing it with a GTX 1060 or better - I'm not made of money!

#5 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:16 PM

Good thing is that a sort of a "price crash" is expected in the GPU sector, so here may be "cheaper" new and used cards to buy soon enough.

#6 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 03:05 AM

I ended up getting a GTX 1070 off EBay pre-loved for about the same price the GTX 1060s were going. The benchmark sites say it's 2x more powerful than my old GTX 770. And I'm a step closer to getting VR :)

#7 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 11:17 AM

Here's an update: My GTX 770 was the culprit for sure. I bought a second-hand GTX 1070 off EBay for about the same price many GTX 1060s I saw were going. With about two times the power of the 770 this card handles the game at max settings like a champ! Time to 'mech on!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users