Crashing While Sitting Idle In Menu

crash

12 replies to this topic

#1 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 30 March 2022 - 03:40 AM

Recently my game just outright crashes while i'm sitting in the main menu between matches, the error says to update my graphics drivers they are up to date.

It's definitly not my graphics card as this is the only game causing the issue and the card is not even 3 months old at this point i just bought it brand new a few months ago.

Specs

AMD Ryzern 7 3700X
AMD RX 6600 8gb
Ram 18GB
Windows 7 64 bit. Edit:(I meant 10 not 7 my bad)

Edited by KursedVixen, 01 April 2022 - 01:27 AM.

#2 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 31 March 2022 - 08:11 AM

Have you been keeping the dust cleared out of your computer? If not, that would lead to crashes with the RX 6600 like what you're experiencing, as I personally came to find out the hard way. In my case, it was also "Card is fine & Drivers are fine", but the dust caused an overheat that made MWO drop dead. Clear the dust out, check temperatures, and you should find yourself back underway in no time as well! :)

~D. V. "Thinks a dust-caused overheat caused 'KursedVixen's RX 6600 to crash hard on MWO" Devnull

#3 cazeral

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:01 AM

OK, daft as it sounds, it looks like your problem is that you are using an AMD processor and GPU, checking other forums, this combination can cause low frame rates, bsd or crashes as you've described.

You can try updating your drivers in safe mode with the option for Windows to manage other updates turned off. Also, try enabling/disabling the Smart Access Memory on the GPU.

Finally, make sure you've got a minimum of a 450w psu (keeping other peripherals powered through USB to a minimum) and have the additional power connector properly fitted; card is a little hungry for wattage especially when stepping up to maximum game/boost frequencies.

Just noticed you're running Win 7, possible that there may be issue with legacy drivers. Have you thought about moving to Win 10?

Edited by cazeral, 31 March 2022 - 11:03 AM.

#4 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 01:17 AM

View Postcazeral, on 31 March 2022 - 11:01 AM, said:

OK, daft as it sounds, it looks like your problem is that you are using an AMD processor and GPU, checking other forums, this combination can cause low frame rates, bsd or crashes as you've described.

You can try updating your drivers in safe mode with the option for Windows to manage other updates turned off. Also, try enabling/disabling the Smart Access Memory on the GPU.

Finally, make sure you've got a minimum of a 450w psu (keeping other peripherals powered through USB to a minimum) and have the additional power connector properly fitted; card is a little hungry for wattage especially when stepping up to maximum game/boost frequencies.

Just noticed you're running Win 7, possible that there may be issue with legacy drivers. Have you thought about moving to Win 10?
oops i'm on 10 no 7

My pSu is 850

The computer itself never fully crashes just the game i can clt+alt delete to get out.

Edited by KursedVixen, 01 April 2022 - 01:29 AM.

#5 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 01:27 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 31 March 2022 - 08:11 AM, said:

Have you been keeping the dust cleared out of your computer? If not, that would lead to crashes with the RX 6600 like what you're experiencing, as I personally came to find out the hard way. In my case, it was also "Card is fine & Drivers are fine", but the dust caused an overheat that made MWO drop dead. Clear the dust out, check temperatures, and you should find yourself back underway in no time as well! Posted Image

~D. V. "Thinks a dust-caused overheat caused 'KursedVixen's RX 6600 to crash hard on MWO" Devnull
it's just the game crashing never had this problem with my RX580.

Edited by KursedVixen, 01 April 2022 - 01:40 AM.

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 08:16 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 01 April 2022 - 01:27 AM, said:

it's just the game crashing never had this problem with my RX580.

It was also just a game crash for me, without the problem bothering anything else. Clearing the dust allowed the temperatures to drop far enough that MWO once again felt comfortable with it. My guess is that the GPU tried to throttle down due to temperature, and MWO did not like the sudden change in what it had to work with, thus causing the crash. That's why I suggested such a course of action. If you have already tried this and it failed to help, then my apologies for the suggestion to clear dust having not worked. :mellow:

~D. V. "There is some logic to dust clearing, but you have my apologies if that was tried without success already." Devnull

#7 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 03:11 PM

It did it again ,and only this game is doing it I don't think i'm getting any thermal throtteing at all.

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 02:27 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 02 April 2022 - 03:11 PM, said:

It did it again ,and only this game is doing it I don't think i'm getting any thermal throtteing at all.

In that case, I've now to ask... Do you allow Windows Update to mess with your computer's Driver Files for your hardware? If so, you will really want to tell Win10 not to be doing that anymore, and then you'll need to re-install your RX 6600's GPU Drivers once more. Back when Win10 was younger, this caused a lot of headaches for MWO players in general, and is one more cause of possible issues like the crashes which you're encountering. Basically put, it happens that MWO has a way of revealing improper GPU Driver situations, and it will do so without mercy. :o

Also, have you run MWO's Repair Tool since these crashes started occurring? There is a rare chance of one of MWO's Game Client Files being messed up, and that would be worth ruling out. However, when you go to check this one, please make sure in the Repair Tool's Options that only the last two items are checked. Otherwise, unwanted damages may result to settings which you have active at this time. Upon finishing running a pass that way, and only if everything checks out, then test to see if your crashes happen again. If the crashes continue, then come back to the MWO Repair Tool and enable the "Clean shaders" Option in order to enable the ability of purging your MWO Shader Cache which is established in order to help make a Match load quickly for your play and enjoyment. You'll have to head into MWO's Testing Grounds with your various array of Mechs for a little while after that in order to re-establish enough of the Shader Cache as to not take a major hit in system & game performance while out on the battlefields. :huh:

If you have already dealt with all of the above stuff, and are still having crashes at this point, then we can only hope 'Tarl Cabot' sees your thread some time soon. They have been known to help get many MWO players out of bad jams with their computers. :mellow:

~D. V. "really trying to help 'KursedVixen' escape this ugly MWO crash situation" Devnull

#9 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 03:50 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 02 April 2022 - 03:11 PM, said:

Have you tried to use some older version of GPU drivers?

#10 blackcatf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAuldhouse, Skye Federation, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 09 May 2022 - 01:59 PM

I'm having a similar, but probably not the same, issue from 'mech bay in the MWO game client today. If I cycle through 'mechs and check the camo specs, after a few 'mechs, if I try to apply a new decal the game crashes out to the desktop. I get a different error, but my PC should be more than capable of handling the load (R5 3600, 3060Ti, 32G RAM, Win 11). I've not had it crash out from a match yet (or any other game), only from the 'mech bay.

#11 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:30 PM

View Postblackcatf, on 09 May 2022 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'm having a similar, but probably not the same, issue from 'mech bay in the MWO game client today. If I cycle through 'mechs and check the camo specs, after a few 'mechs, if I try to apply a new decal the game crashes out to the desktop. I get a different error, but my PC should be more than capable of handling the load (R5 3600, 3060Ti, 32G RAM, Win 11). I've not had it crash out from a match yet (or any other game), only from the 'mech bay.

How many different Chassis in total are you cycling through before trying to apply a Decal and having the crash occur? :o

~D. V. "wondering if your Chassis/Camo/Decal crash is something they may have encountered similar to" Devnull

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:27 PM

Did you try to delete your shader cache?

#13 blackcatf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAuldhouse, Skye Federation, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:54 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 09 May 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

How many different Chassis in total are you cycling through before trying to apply a Decal and having the crash occur? Posted Image

~D. V. "wondering if your Chassis/Camo/Decal crash is something they may have encountered similar to" Devnull

I'm not sure how many I would cycle through before it was happening each time, at least a half-dozen, I think. I was only trying to apply decals on a few of the many 'mechs in my bays, so I may have looked at 20 or so one time and applied stickers to five or six before it happened and then once I restarted it would be a while before it happened again. All told, I think it crashed 5 or 6 times before I started doing something else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users