Looking For Veteran Opinions On My Timberwolf

14 replies to this topic

#1 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:42 AM

Hello all!

New to MWO, a bit older to Mechwarrior but been a long time since I played!

Anyways, the Timberwolf has always been my favourite mech ever, and I thought I'd post the build I currently use to see what people thing. I know some people will frown at the mixed ranges, but overall I find it works as a good, all purpose build for a variety of maps so far.

Zedd's Timberwolf

I found another sub build of this is to remove the 2x ERLL and a heatsink to install 2x HLL. Removes some range for a bit more punch to the cockpit that way in a brawl.

I find it can do a bit of everything: It can do some sniping/ long range suppressing fire, and I can lay in more on someone the closer they get.

Anyways, just seeing what people think and what they run for the Timberwolf! Thanks!

Edited by Zeddicuus, 01 April 2022 - 11:45 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:56 AM

View PostZeddicuus, on 01 April 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hello all!

Welcome back!

Anyways, the Timberwolf has always been my favourite mech ever, and I thought I'd post the build I currently use to see what people thing. I know some people will frown at the mixed ranges, but overall I find it works as a good, all purpose build for a variety of maps so far.

Zedd's Timberwolf

I find it can do a bit of everything: It can do some sniping/ long range suppressing fire, and I can lay in more on someone the closer they get.

I think that the combination of ER Medium and HML would not suit me.

Anyways, just seeing what people think and what they run for the Timberwolf! Thanks!

I do not run the Madcat as often as I used to, but twin Lage Pulses and ER Medium work for me (among other variants.

#3 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:15 PM

I've seen a few people talking up the Large Pulse Lasers, which is why I mentioned an alternate build tweak as I wanted to try it out. I know mixing the medium lasers seems odd, but I find it works pretty well when hostiles try to close the distance and I can get a bit more punch in. I tried using all ERML and it worked OK, I just found the damage lacked a bit. I guess the only real problem is the range on the HML before I can actually use them.

Looking forward to trying a couple of LPL though, even though I'll have to remove my ERLL to allow the space.

And yes, I'm more familar with the name MadCat from Mechwarrior 3 compared to Timberwolf, hahaha.

Edited by Zeddicuus, 01 April 2022 - 12:17 PM.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:29 PM

The Timber Wolf is a really versatile OmniMech.

#5 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:44 PM

That's what I found out about it from the first time I used it, and even more so in MWO compared to the older MW games. Love the omnipods as I can switch out my hardpoints for all kinds of configurations! I use this more than any other mech I own, and personally see no reason to own another Heavy because of that versatility

Personally I prefer the name MadCat more given the history to that name, so I named my Timberwolf as 'MadCat'

Been tinkering with the missile pods too. Love the LRMS, but don't want a missile boat. Trying to find a nice balance. Just finding that I am preferring a laser build, I hate running out of ammo and feeling useless, hahaha

Edited by Zeddicuus, 01 April 2022 - 12:50 PM.

#6 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 06:30 AM

Been tinkering with the LPL a lot more. Really loving it for being close to the same range as my ERML, just with quite a bit more kick.

I think I'll just swap back and forth between ERLL and LPL depending if I feel like a bit of sniper should be happening!

Instead of using LRM and trying to split up my skill points too much, I just bought a Catapult to be a missile boat since it was 50% off. That lets my Timberwolf focus on the lasers.

#7 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 04 April 2022 - 07:26 AM

Hello all!

Zedd's Timberwolf

I found another sub build of this is to remove the 2x ERLL and a heatsink to install 2x HLL. Removes some range for a bit more punch to the cockpit that way in a brawl.

I think, as martian was mentioning, you will find the Large Pulse Laser with ER Medium Laser combo to be more effective. Alternatively, you can run Heavy Large Lasers with ER Medium Lasers somewhat effectively.

A good basic rule of thumb to consider when creating Clan laser builds (though there are always exceptions) is that whatever size Pulse or Heavy laser you are using for your "bigger" laser, pair it with the ER laser of the size down from it.

Large Pulse/Heavy + ER Medium
Medium Pulse/Heavy + ER Small
Small Pulse/Heavy + ER Micro

ER Large and Micro Pulse also have a place, (ER Large for long range engagement builds, Micro Pulse for short range brawler builds) and can pair with some of the above with the right loadout. The above is just the basic starting point.

One 8/8 Omni Pod build I like is this TBR-PRIME LRM-isher build. Your goal is to use the speed of the TBR to always position and engage from just behind your front line tanks/brawlers, and just pour the additional fire on.

#8 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 08:37 AM

Oh, I rather like that build for the TBR! I will have to give that one a go and see how it does. Typically I used ERML with my LRMs but I can see the heavies being handy.

To be honest I am rather fond of the missile racks up on the shoulder. Just looks so weird without them!

#9 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 04 April 2022 - 09:18 AM

View PostZeddicuus, on 04 April 2022 - 08:37 AM, said:

Oh, I rather like that build for the TBR! I will have to give that one a go and see how it does. Typically I used ERML with my LRMs but I can see the heavies being handy.

To be honest I am rather fond of the missile racks up on the shoulder. Just looks so weird without them!

It definitely gets better with the skill tree, but either way, you watch your heat, and pay good attention to your engagement ranges and LOS, and it's a great fire support mech. Max range unskilled on the HMLs is 540 I wanna say (though your sweet spot is 270 or closer). I like the combo since the burn time on the HMLs is offset by the fact that you're holding a TAG on the target anyway, as well as maintaining lock until your LRMs hit.

Unskilled, anything you can do from 200-500 meters, with direct LOS while sturdier mechs hold enemy attention is pretty solid. Range increases with skill tree. Indirect fire with the LRMs is fine, while you close the gap, or maneuver into position, but direct LOS with the TAG is so much more effective, damage-wise. LRM-ishing is fun when you're in the groove. I use a 4 button mouse, button one is TAG, button two is HMLs, buttons three and four are LRMs on group and chain fire, respectively.

Cheers!

#10 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 April 2022 - 12:42 AM

A warm welcome back to MWO!

Here's a current "Meta" ('the best?') build for Timber Wolf, very similar to yours actually:
https://mwomercs.com...er-current-meta

TBR-S
2xLPL + 6xERML, JJ, ECM

CT: TBR-S (Jump Jet)
RT: TBR-BH (ECM + 1E) --> same as yours
LT: TBR-A (above shoulder 3E) --> same as yours

Obviously one can fire all weapons at once, 2xLPL + 6xERML, with lots of DHS for rapid cooling!

Personally I would love to have your TBR-Prime(I) CT with +5% Heat Dissipation!
The TBR-Warrant hero mech CT also has +5% Heat Dissipation.

Do have fun choosing your mech layout! ;)

#11 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 03:58 AM

And since you also missed the 2017 "Civil War" timeline major weapons/armor/equipment update:
http://mwomercs.com/civil-war-update

Civil War timeline (July 2017)

IS: Light Engine (engine does not explode upon side torso destruction)
IS: Light-Ferro-Fibrous Armor, Stealth Armor
IS: RAC, MRM, Light/Heavy Gauss, various PPC (Snub-Nose PPC, Light PPC, Heavy PPC), etc.

Clan: ATM, Heavy Lasers, ER Micro Lasers, etc.

Lots of toys to pay with since this Civil War timeline update! ;)

#12 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 07:46 AM

Looking at that link, w0qj, yeah it is very similar indeed! Personally I'd rather have the heat dissipation instead of a single jumpjet. Personally I'm liking having a few HML on me for that extra punch if someone wants to close the range on me over the extra range. Sometimes 6x ERML feel better should a fight go down to long range, but for general use I'm finding splitting it 3ERML/3HML feel best for me. the use of ERLL or LPL I can swapping back and forth depending on what kind of playstyle i want for that mission.

So good to hear from other timberwolf/Madcat pilots (still have trouble thinking of it as a Timberwolf)!

#13 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 06:34 AM

Well, I've taken a major liking to the LRMisher posted above and have been using that a lot more lately. Always been a big fan of the classic missile racks on my MADCAT over the laser mounts. It was fun at first but sniping like that just isn't a thing I want to do all the time. Apparently I'm more of a brawler style, get closer and use the terrain.

The only problem I've been having is that more and more people seem to be running sniper builds, which is making the HML feel pretty useless. I mean, when the opponents are sitting 900M+ and blasting at you while you try to close the distance, it's just not as fun. As such, I've changed them to ERML instead so I can get some extra range. I don't hit as hard, but at least I don't have to try to get as close deal damage.

Thinking of switching it up from LRM 20 x2 to LRM 15 x4 by swapping in TBR-D torso pieces, see how that works out with 4ERML on the build. I'll post it when completed.

Edited by Zeddicuus, 05 May 2022 - 07:13 AM.

#14 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 12:19 AM

There are basically a few things you can do, but if you want to use LPLs the most common (and only truly easy to use config) is 2LPL+6ERML. It hits hard (65 dmg within 400m), pinpoint, short burn time relative to alternatives like ERLL/HLL, reasonably cool running and can dump 2 alphas in a row from resting heat, after which the 2LPLs can be used infinitely. This can be run with ECM and JJs on the S, a heat quirk on the prime, or just 3 arm hardpoints on the A/C with the CT slot.

The build's one and only fatal flaw is the low and relatively wide arms forcing you to expose the whole mech for a full damage alpha. An alternative slightly non meta config ive seen and played is 3LPL+3/4ERML. It does less raw damage, but has almost the same sustained DPS (the 3LPLs if you split 2+1 can be fired almost constantly when heatcapped), over half of its firepower is high mounted, and its not that much hotter to be honest provided you never alpha all 3 LPLs (can be done at opportune times when you just have a snapshot and are at 0 heat).

Finally, if you want to do shorter range, a strong build is 6MPL+1LPL, very good DPS, sustain, short burn time and pinpoint dmg. It cant do much past 400m, so be aware it requires patience and sadly certain games will just screw you over while a mid range LPL build pretty much can always contribute from early to late game, but the firepower and focused damage makes it well worth it if you enjoy brawling.

Finally, a few things worth mentioning, the TBR can effectively run 4 ERLLs (3 LT high mount, 1 RT beside cockpit but not low or wide). It can also run the aids vomit build (2HLL+6ERML) for 75 damage per exposure, its hot and there isnt enuff space to truly fit all the DHS you might want, but its not even all that bad TBH from the few times ive played it (i prefer the HBR for this loadout, but the TBR isnt much worse, more armor, agility, just wide low arms is what kills it for me). Theres also a quad LPL build ive seen (doesnt need low mounts), but the time i tried it it was just too hot and the need to stagger fire 2+2 puts it in the DPS role which isnt really good for any laser build.

Aside from that, you can run everything from brawl to LRM, but most of these builds are just not very strong on the timby when there are better alternatives out there that are actually quirked for it.

Also, to whoever mentioned HMLs, i strongly suggest against using them on the TBR, they arent bad weapons, ut the combination of short range, atrocious burntime and long reload make them very very situational. The handful of mechs that can truly take advantage of these things are fast moving backstabbers and some light mechs that lack the hardpoints to boat ERSL+uSLs (mostly mixed with some MGs). Put 8 of them on a lanner and its a niche 1 shot backstabber. Put 4 on a ACH and you get something with actually useable poke, and the speed to escape once the enemy starts noticing, maybee even combo 4 of them with a UAC20 medium and get a lightweight 40 damage boost to an already effective short range brawl weapon, but put em on a heavy and generally speaking most aware targets will just twist the damage away provided you can even get into the range to utilize it (MPLs despite weight are much cooler running and better in a brawl).

Edited by panzer1b, 26 May 2022 - 12:27 AM.

#15 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 09:08 AM

TBR-S(P) with +30% CBills bonus is now available via the Platinum Collection!

ECM + JJ + 2xLPL + 6xERML... amazing shoulder pod for hill humping... faints Posted Image

Having loads of fun with this!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users