Balance Gameplay Mode

30 replies to this topic

#1 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 09:13 AM

The Faction Play 4V4 lights and mediums game mode must be brought back as a separate faction Que. The game mode itself should be fixed or changed. However the premise and accessibility of Scouting are vital to the rejuvenation of Faction Play as a whole.

#2 Jeff on a Buffalo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 04:17 PM

The game mode should be fixed or changed? In what way? What would you suggest?.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,777 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 07:00 AM

event queue

id rather just make it 4v4 skirmish. no need to have all that scouting baggage.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 April 2022 - 07:01 AM.

#4 Jeff on a Buffalo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 08:57 AM

So keep the 4 X IS mechs vs 4 X Clans bit, keep it for just light/Med mechs,and replace the scouting mode stuff to strictly QP skirmish. Maybe set the timer to 5 minutes to force people to fight rather than run around hiding on the map. Keep it for the small and medium sized maps and not the larger ones too I suppose, maybe even use some of the Solaris or small/medium training maps that I have not used/seen in forever.
It might be interesting to maybe mix it up a bit and have it traditional IS lance of 4 mechs vs a Clan lance of five mechs, but with the current game mechanics that would probably not work too well. Having that extra mech would be too much of an advantage to Clans I would think, even if you maybe bumped up the tonnage of the IS mechs a bit to compensate.
For a quick and brawly/skirmishy game mode like this with smaller mechs, I would suggest that all consumables be disabled like in Solaris. It would force better communication and less cheesy arty/air-strike stuff.
So is this kinda close to what you are proposing?

Edited by Jeff on a Buffalo, 28 April 2022 - 08:59 AM.

#5 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:13 AM

View PostJeff on a Buffalo, on 28 April 2022 - 08:57 AM, said:

So keep the 4 X IS mechs vs 4 X Clans bit, keep it for just light/Med mechs,and replace the scouting mode stuff to strictly QP skirmish. Maybe set the timer to 5 minutes to force people to fight rather than run around hiding on the map. Keep it for the small and medium sized maps and not the larger ones too I suppose, maybe even use some of the Solaris or small/medium training maps that I have not used/seen in forever.
It might be interesting to maybe mix it up a bit and have it traditional IS lance of 4 mechs vs a Clan lance of five mechs, but with the current game mechanics that would probably not work too well. Having that extra mech would be too much of an advantage to Clans I would think, even if you maybe bumped up the tonnage of the IS mechs a bit to compensate.
For a quick and brawly/skirmishy game mode like this with smaller mechs, I would suggest that all consumables be disabled like in Solaris. It would force better communication and less cheesy arty/air-strike stuff.
So is this kinda close to what you are proposing?

My pitch actually would be to make it conquest. That way you still get some objectives in the game mode.

#6 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:26 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 April 2022 - 07:00 AM, said:

event queue

Yep remove intel gathering & smoke diving stuff, or at least remove smoke diving ****.
But ,aybe not pure skirmish either because 15 minute kite fests kinda suck also but some extra large domination circle in random location of the map or conquest with 3? caps maybe?

and keep that 55 ton limit like it was...

Edited by Curccu, 28 April 2022 - 09:27 AM.

#7 Jeff on a Buffalo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:26 AM

Conquest? Conquest?
So a game mode where a bunch of super fast cheesy "Cap'er" mechs running around the map capping caps with a couple of people trying to use light killer mechs roaming around trying to run into the "Cap'pers" to annihilate them?
I'm sorry, that sounds horrible to me.
I would maybe think the Assault game mode might work if the Skirmish game mode is frowned apon but not Conquest.

#8 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:30 AM

PvE smoke diving unit wants scouting back, woot

#9 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:36 AM

Domination is the only mode that would really work; it prevents a full lance of spider 5v's just auto-winning every match, prevents 15 minute kite fests and forces the action into a predictable area everyone needs to acknowledge or you accept that you will lose if you try avoiding the pee stain. I'd suggest 2 Dom circles to be honest; both close enough to each other that you can redeploy easily enough, both control the timer and keep the distance reasonable so that super fast smaller mechs can skirmish between the 2 and have an actual role on the field rather than one circle where you would just take the biggest mechs with the most guns and beat each other over the head.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 April 2022 - 04:46 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 April 2022 - 07:00 AM, said:

event queue

Event queue... 4v4 (set weight classes) 5v5, 6v6, 8v8, 10v10 Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 April 2022 - 04:46 PM.

#11 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:38 PM

View PostJeff on a Buffalo, on 28 April 2022 - 09:26 AM, said:

Conquest? Conquest?
So a game mode where a bunch of super fast cheesy "Cap'er" mechs running around the map capping caps with a couple of people trying to use light killer mechs roaming around trying to run into the "Cap'pers" to annihilate them?
I'm sorry, that sounds horrible to me.
I would maybe think the Assault game mode might work if the Skirmish game mode is frowned apon but not Conquest.

Distance between caps doesn't have to be kilometers, but IMO there has to be some way to block 15 min kites. Assault is basically forced brawl and doesn't give other playstyles much space. (run into cap with 4x assassins etc. and enemy comes to defend or lose.)

#12 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 10:07 PM

View PostNightbird, on 28 April 2022 - 09:30 AM, said:

PvE smoke diving unit wants scouting back, woot

With fast skimming I don't see anyone wanting actually intel stuff and smoke diving stuff, just lights & mediums 4v4. I used to enjoy those deathmatches at least.

#13 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 09:46 AM

More game modes is a good thing. Scouting definitely had problems, but I would welcome it back, but probably rarely play it. People would play it more than Solaris at least I think.

4v4 conquest sounds like an idea with potential.

To all the people like Nightbird in this thread poo pooing on this idea because of objective based wins. I'm a lot like you in that I play to win by fighting and killing the enemy, and hate objective diving or Gen rushing.

But

I feel having the option to win by objective adds more to the games than they detract from it. Having the option to win by objective around keeps the games interesting when one side is dominating the other. As the weaker side is less likely to give up immediately when they are down on kills but still might be able to pull off a win. I don't know about other people that like to farm kills like me. But I'm much prefer my enemies to keep on trying and fighting the entire match rather than giving up as soon as I have a decisive advantage.

Edited by Hobbles v, 29 April 2022 - 12:35 PM.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 April 2022 - 10:54 AM

"Smoke diving?"

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 April 2022 - 10:57 AM

Oh, you mean waiting until the last second to run to the dropship and escape?

#16 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:51 AM

View Postccrider, on 28 April 2022 - 09:36 AM, said:

Domination is the only mode that would really work; it prevents a full lance of spider 5v's just auto-winning every match, prevents 15 minute kite fests and forces the action into a predictable area everyone needs to acknowledge or you accept that you will lose if you try avoiding the pee stain. I'd suggest 2 Dom circles to be honest; both close enough to each other that you can redeploy easily enough, both control the timer and keep the distance reasonable so that super fast smaller mechs can skirmish between the 2 and have an actual role on the field rather than one circle where you would just take the biggest mechs with the most guns and beat each other over the head.

This has been in game tested. Smoke diving doesn’t work unless the other team is dumb enough to run like all giga slow less than 80 kph mediums. The reason for this is one streak crow can just insta kill any smoke divers just like in traditional scouting. However the main difference here is that the points are at set locations so they are much more easy to defend. In game testing does however dictate that spamming 4 40 ton clan mediums is a nearly unbeatable strategy. As they are fast enough to outrun any IS mechs that could actually beat them in a fight. Therefore some alterations would need to be made. But four srm arctic wolfs/ machine gun vipers would decimate a team of smoke dive stealth and or spiders.

This has been tested and proven.

The only way seemingly to overcome this would be to add in an intel point like mechanic that would give a static 5-10 point value per one captured. This does one thing. Prevent 40 tonner death balling. However the total point value needed to win would need to be adjusted to make it so that smoke diving would not be a fully viable strat on mass.

Edited by IronWolfPack64, 01 May 2022 - 08:54 AM.

#17 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 11:57 AM

View PostIronWolfPack64, on 01 May 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

This has been in game tested. Smoke diving doesn’t work unless the other team is dumb enough to run like all giga slow less than 80 kph mediums. The reason for this is one streak crow can just insta kill any smoke divers just like in traditional scouting. However the main difference here is that the points are at set locations so they are much more easy to defend. In game testing does however dictate that spamming 4 40 ton clan mediums is a nearly unbeatable strategy. As they are fast enough to outrun any IS mechs that could actually beat them in a fight. Therefore some alterations would need to be made. But four srm arctic wolfs/ machine gun vipers would decimate a team of smoke dive stealth and or spiders.

This has been tested and proven.

The only way seemingly to overcome this would be to add in an intel point like mechanic that would give a static 5-10 point value per one captured. This does one thing. Prevent 40 tonner death balling. However the total point value needed to win would need to be adjusted to make it so that smoke diving would not be a fully viable strat on mass.

I have my extremely high doubts that you can take out 4x smoke diving stealth pirates banes... or even those spiders you mentioned.

#18 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 02:51 PM

HMMM ---- i still have a SPLAST HUNCHBACK 2c , to play in scouting OHH GUYS that is a pure SRM AMMO driven KILLER, the team i ran with always ask for it, of course i was the bait, BUT HIGH SPEED, AND FASTER SHOOTING SKILLS ON CHAIN FIRE, most times we wouild win, that during the time that they OUTLAWED the stormcrow, i think.

SAWK CLANNER

#19 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 02:58 PM

I'd play 4v4 single point conquest.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:11 PM

People playing run-and-hide- games wasn't too much fun, but when your kill team dropped against another kill team, it was a great small-'mechs combat experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users