Tier 3 To Tier 2 - How Bad Is It?

37 replies to this topic

#21 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 12:55 AM

As a friendly reminder, please keep the discussion constructive and civil, without personal attacks.
Thank you.

#22 Lajur Kas

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOrestes Rally Point

Posted 04 May 2022 - 11:39 AM

I've bounced along the Tier2/Tier 3 line for quite a while now.

The biggest difference, if you solo wander from the team the higher tier folks will promptly isolate your mech and blow you up...right now!

Other than that...it seems the super high sniper nests are better known and utilized.
Also, the cruel act of pop-tarting is elevated to the next level of pop-tart artists (Pop-Tartists!). It's impressive...I can't do it!

Honestly, I welcome the sniper meta for the time being. You can reposition out of the sniper field of fire and then their team is down a mech or two. You can focus on those pop-tarts and enjoy the sight of a dead mech falling to the ground like a puppet with cut strings! But reason number one to learn to love the sniper meta is that the rotation at the higher tiers was so controlled, focused and effective...it could get boring. I should add that I think Alpine Peaks is the best map in the game. So range of some kind has always been a priority in my playbook.

#23 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 05:08 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 May 2022 - 12:36 AM, said:

He conveys how the tier system works, both according to common knowledge and PGI's own statements. You, on the other hand, attacked him claiming that he's completely wrong but at the same time failing to correct him. It's not even that you don't have proof, you don't make a coherent argument in the first place.

[redacted]

No, you started an incoherent rant that "you're still having fun" as if that was in any way contradictory to what Martian wrote.
Dude, all Martian said was that if OP set himself a goal of advancing to T1, then he may need to adapt his builds and tactics to the more demanding opposition (which is true), and that the tier system should not be considered a reward to be gamed (which people often treat it as) but rather a matchmaking tool (which it is).
You're the one who triggered yourself into frothing at the mouth and name-calling us over it for no apparent ******* reason. That's on you.

As the Moderator is right, and a kind person, I fist apologize for the "noob" even if ... I am one ...

To the matter:
Being in the upper tier gives you more chance to win.
There are n... not-capable players and you must carry them, but that carrying gets less and less.

So that one can more concentrate on his own play style.

Last had 3 matches where normally all things would have gone 4-12 . Changed to 8-12 or 11-12.
This is an enormous change, which seldom happens in down-tiers.

Tier-System is the reward to see if your little/high tribute to match also pays at end.

Still, POINTING OUT, my experience is getting minimum 50% better, as now I am 100% Tier 1.

Maybe your experience is bad cause you are still carried?

WHATEVER nor you nor me is allowed to argument anybody saying "yeah, you won't will get what you thin!"

WRONG: MESS WITH THE BEST and see and feel for yourself !

I tell: it got better and better after in T1 when the tier was a little above 20% and in the middle. Then got worst until the bar was 10% above that little UP-Arrow in the tier-Display and THEN IT WENT UP LIKE ROCKET !!!! Win after WIN after WIN with my Score always showing green!!!!

So I say:
Have you seen TTB, Baradul or anybody with names? No
You came T3 90% and then those names dropped in and you had noobs around you falling (also with big names) and still you had a score with green arrows ?

Then you know where you should work for!

And best T1 End is when you receive your 100% T1 on the Map you like: ALPINE ):>

THE REST IS THEORY (quotation from a film I do not remember)

#24 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:04 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 05 May 2022 - 05:08 AM, said:

As the Moderator is right, and a kind person, I fist apologize for the "noob" even if ... I am one ...

To the matter:
Being in the upper tier gives you more chance to win.
There are n... not-capable players and you must carry them, but that carrying gets less and less.

So that one can more concentrate on his own play style.

Last had 3 matches where normally all things would have gone 4-12 . Changed to 8-12 or 11-12.
This is an enormous change, which seldom happens in down-tiers.

Tier-System is the reward to see if your little/high tribute to match also pays at end.

Still, POINTING OUT, my experience is getting minimum 50% better, as now I am 100% Tier 1.

Maybe your experience is bad cause you are still carried?

WHATEVER nor you nor me is allowed to argument anybody saying "yeah, you won't will get what you thin!"

WRONG: MESS WITH THE BEST and see and feel for yourself !

I tell: it got better and better after in T1 when the tier was a little above 20% and in the middle. Then got worst until the bar was 10% above that little UP-Arrow in the tier-Display and THEN IT WENT UP LIKE ROCKET !!!! Win after WIN after WIN with my Score always showing green!!!!

So I say:
Have you seen TTB, Baradul or anybody with names? No
You came T3 90% and then those names dropped in and you had noobs around you falling (also with big names) and still you had a score with green arrows ?

Then you know where you should work for!

And best T1 End is when you receive your 100% T1 on the Map you like: ALPINE ):>

THE REST IS THEORY (quotation from a film I do not remember)
I've run your posts through Google translate for like 19 languages and I still can't follow any of this. Maybe I'm not adding enough caps.

#25 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 02:45 AM

View Postccrider, on 05 May 2022 - 09:04 PM, said:

I've run your posts through Google translate for like 19 languages and I still can't follow any of this. Maybe I'm not adding enough caps.

nevermind that; I don't get it either, and I speak his native tongue. must be some kind of secret code - or a lot of beer ;)

#26 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 05:03 AM

View Postccrider, on 05 May 2022 - 09:04 PM, said:

You can ask MEEPMEEP or MrVaad to translate it for you.

They are exceptional individuals with higher IQ and EQ than many!

So no need to disintegrate for you ...

#27 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 10:24 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 May 2022 - 08:40 PM, said:

From what I have heard, not every player wants to move to higher Tiers.

I've run into guys pretty open about purposely working their way back down multiple tiers.

Casual players have zero incentive to move up in tiers as far as I can tell; everything just gets less forgiving, the in-game rewards are no greater (event rewards are actually harder to earn), and you start to run into too many self appointed "leaders" doing little more than rudely ordering people around, blaming, and giving others grief. (Not to take away from the legitimately solid quarterbacks out there that actually elevate their teams without acting like anyone owes them anything; those mechwarriors are a real benefit.)

It is nice the game has something for just about everyone, but very definitely not everyone wants to be going up tiers.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 11 May 2022 - 10:34 AM.

#28 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 10:34 AM

Personally I disabled the Tier gauge on my home screen. I don't think I could care less about what tier I'm placed in, I just want to play the game and have fun.

If I end up in a higher or lower tier, I'll never know!

For those players that enjoy that kind of competitiveness, the Tier gauge is a good thing as it can help you see how you fair in relation to the majority of the player base. I'm just glad they don't make it something mandatory for events or anything.

#29 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 05:48 PM

For me the win rate has gone insanely higher the moment I was above 70% T2 to 25% T1.

Then it is again "starts" to get higher from 77% again.
In the other regions it is so many "noobs" games, it feels (vo... igit).

So I do not understand why you do not tell pl they should first try to come up then choose.

It is like telling: you need no Atom-Bomb, all who wanted it and have it gave it back again!
NO A LIE, one you have it, you try to keep it!
And it is in Tiers too.

Once there many try to stay there!

And the matches really change, you see the ones who have been pulled there and the one are really good.

One such guy is "D A T A" !!!
God, he sucks and not being bad, one must say Posted Image
Not only he plays good, but also a good Commander, though some matches they still run like chickens without heads ...

Or TTB Matches, when he tells (voice) which Mech is cored.Posted Image

You don't want to miss that, if you want to experience MWO at its best!
So telling ppl not to come high to see how these ppl play, is really stealing them the fun!

I sadly have not played with Baladur, but that mus be the tip of the Iceberg!Posted Image

Regards

Edited by Seelenlos, 15 May 2022 - 06:31 PM.

#30 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:11 AM

I know this isn't the general consensus, but I didn't notice any difference at all going up to T1

I still did the exact same NASCAR/AMS crap every game

#31 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 04:28 PM

The real question, is "Are you playing with teamwork?" Even JUST one group of 4 on a drop (who work together and cooperate) can easily change the whole game.

#32 Mr Nice Mech

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 07:25 PM

Whoops. I like to post when I'm really drunk for some stupid reason (being drunk) and this thread was a drunk post. Sorry if I pissed anybody off.

I am about 10% into tier 2 right now and I definitely have to play better. Still seeing the common group droppers I would regularly see, I assume the match maker will put a group in wherever it can slot it. Definitely seeing new names almost every game now.

I play my one solid performing medium mech mostly, because I look at the quick play weight percentages and just play what is lowest - mediums and lights are usually the lowest percentages.

Getting out of the -drop to tier 3, then slowly scrap back to tier 2 until in a comfortable spot- has required playing mechs that won't necessarily carry (I'm not a carry), but won't flop on drop.

#33 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 25 May 2022 - 06:07 AM

want to be in tier 1? use only tier 1 mechs and have good aim and decent piloting.

want to tier down? use weaker mechs.

tier is a combo of skill & loadouts.

the most fun to be had is in the lower tiers frankly.

#34 dozerbot

• PipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 08:26 AM

View PostMr Nice Mech, on 01 May 2022 - 07:43 PM, said:

I keep skirting along the edge of sliding into tier 2. Playing drunk and playing unskilled mechs keeps me on that edge.

How bad is it in tier 2? I can't stand the C-ERLL/Gauss sniper meta or the positioning on maps that comes with that gameplay.

Sorry to ask how bad it gets as you move up the ranks, but we all know the reality.

I found the difference pretty minimal. There is a much bigger jump when you get into tier 1.

View PostCorvus Antaka, on 25 May 2022 - 06:07 AM, said:

want to be in tier 1? use only tier 1 mechs and have good aim and decent piloting.

I would tend to agree with this - the higher the tier the more likely you are to get punished for suboptimal builds or experimenting, which is half the fun of the game!

#35 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2022 - 12:52 PM

View Postmartian, on 02 May 2022 - 08:15 PM, said:

your Tier is no "reward". It is the matchmaking tool.

Sometimes it feels more like a punishment

View Postmartian, on 03 May 2022 - 08:40 PM, said:

From what I have heard, not every player wants to move to higher Tiers.

Mmm, quite

But still, grouping up in LFG always seems to pull me down in Tiers far enough to actually enjoy a few matches.

Playing solo in QP tends to be the most miserable experince, but what else is new.

Frankly I stopped playing for a while, but PGI seems to make some headway again.
So decided to drop a few.
Enjoyed myself a lot more in FP than QP, but again, without a group, what else is new.

Edited by Peter2k, 01 June 2022 - 12:56 PM.

#36 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

View PostCorvus Antaka, on 25 May 2022 - 06:07 AM, said:

I probably missed this in a few patch notes, but does equipping AMS still contribute to match score (i.e. automatically raising your Tier unless you do terrible every time)?

View PostMr Nice Mech, on 21 May 2022 - 07:25 PM, said:

Whoops. I like to post when I'm really drunk for some stupid reason

I remember many nights dropping in a 8 to12 man, mostly in FP, while drinking.
Good ol times.

Edited by Peter2k, 01 June 2022 - 01:00 PM.

#37 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 09:06 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 01 June 2022 - 12:58 PM, said:

I probably missed this in a few patch notes, but does equipping AMS still contribute to match score (i.e. automatically raising your Tier unless you do terrible every time)?

AMS no longer contributes to MS.

#38 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:42 PM

View PostCherge, on 18 May 2022 - 08:11 AM, said:

I know this isn't the general consensus, but I didn't notice any difference at all going up to T1

I still did the exact same NASCAR/AMS crap every game

HAHAHAHA nice written, thumbs up1

Reminds me of this wisdom:

Some technique , behavior or whatever get some to high positions, though it is deadly for many others, even in RL!!!

My friend sucks in MWO, only one of my builds help him. In RL he touches anything, even ****, and people like what he does!

When I do the same, ohhhh man, even he falls over me... This is some times so in life.... and also in digital Life :)

hahahaha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users