Tier 3 To Tier 2 - How Bad Is It?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Nice Mech

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:43 PM

I keep skirting along the edge of sliding into tier 2. Playing drunk and playing unskilled mechs keeps me on that edge.

How bad is it in tier 2? I can't stand the C-ERLL/Gauss sniper meta or the positioning on maps that comes with that gameplay.

Sorry to ask how bad it gets as you move up the ranks, but we all know the reality.

#2 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:50 PM

I mean I figure its about the same. You'd be seeing players from T2 and T1 already. I'm not a fan of the long range thing everyone seems to be doing lately but it's effective so... people will play what they think is going to get them kills etc. It's kinda sad to me since there's so many things to use and build a mech with so just falling back on the long range lazor/ac2 vomit is... meh. But it is what it is. I wouldn't think it would get too much more difficult though.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:29 PM

You're one up on me... I'm skirting that line sober and with skilled mechs. Posted Image

But yeah, i second the above post. As a T3, you're already being matched with T1 and T2 players. You'll just see more of them as you won't encounter T5 folks anymore unless there are groups involved or the matchmaker is totally starved for players.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:56 PM

i haven't noticed much change.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 09:33 PM

View PostMr Nice Mech, on 01 May 2022 - 07:43 PM, said:

I keep skirting along the edge of sliding into tier 2. Playing drunk and playing unskilled mechs keeps me on that edge.

How bad is it in tier 2? I can't stand the C-ERLL/Gauss sniper meta or the positioning on maps that comes with that gameplay.

Sorry to ask how bad it gets as you move up the ranks, but we all know the reality.

I think that you will see more of it. Plus, you will face the more competent premades.

#6 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 01 May 2022 - 11:40 PM

There should be an option to rule out fighting with or against premades and be stuck in T3. Heck, I would choose that at once. The silly long-range camping crap gets old already and I am not yet in T2

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 May 2022 - 04:56 AM

Wouldn't high tier 3 be the same people as low tier 2 mostly?

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 06:26 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 02 May 2022 - 04:56 AM, said:

Wouldn't high tier 3 be the same people as low tier 2 mostly?

If we are talking about the the players' quality, then the answer would be "yes". After all, some of them are moving from T3 to T2 back and forth.

But the QP matchmaker does not discern between the low T3 players (who have just left T4) and the high T3 players (who are just one step from leaving T3 and moving to T2). For the matchmaking purposes, they all fall into the broad "T3 player" category.

#9 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 01:40 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 01 May 2022 - 11:40 PM, said:

There should be an option to rule out fighting with or against premades and be stuck in T3. Heck, I would choose that at once. The silly long-range camping crap gets old already and I am not yet in T2

Shhhh! Shhhh! Don't mention The Meta that Shall Not Be Named... you'll be flooded with 'lulz git gud' posts from every direction!

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 01:52 PM

View Postmartian, on 02 May 2022 - 06:26 AM, said:

If we are talking about the the players' quality, then the answer would be "yes". After all, some of them are moving from T3 to T2 back and forth.

But the QP matchmaker does not discern between the low T3 players (who have just left T4) and the high T3 players (who are just one step from leaving T3 and moving to T2). For the matchmaking purposes, they all fall into the broad "T3 player" category.

its very hard to stay in t2. because the tier had a wide range of skill levels. im in a few pixels deep, but its one losing streak, or hell even leveling one mech from nothing, away from ending up back in t3.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 May 2022 - 01:53 PM.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 08:15 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 May 2022 - 01:52 PM, said:

its very hard to stay in t2. because the tier had a wide range of skill levels. im in a few pixels deep, but its one losing streak, or hell even leveling one mech from nothing, away from ending up back in t3.

If you do not care about Tier placement, then simply continue playing as usual and wait what happens.

If you do care about Tier placement, then perhaps it is the right time to revisit your 'Mechs and your tactics. For example, short range brawling is less viable in higher Tiers. etc.

Remember, that your Tier is no "reward". It is the matchmaking tool.

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 12:00 AM

View Postmartian, on 02 May 2022 - 06:26 AM, said:

I seriously doubt that. As per Paul's posts regarding that topic, the Matchmaker goes for the lowest PSR deviation. Thus, A PSR 2999 T3 Player would be regarded similarly as a PSR 3001 T2 Player. The only time this fails is at the minimum and maximum PSR levels of 0 and 5000. This is where the MM can't differentiate players anymore.

#13 Mr Nice Mech

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 02:11 AM

Meh, I give up on tiers at this point. Had a solid streak and bounced into tier 2 (1200 dmg game!), but as LordNothing said, the yo-yo swings and I was back in tier 3 Just dropped into a match with Scout Derek, Navid A1, and Bows3r. Matchmaker is a hot mess. 12-0, as you would expect. I was on the winning team, but what a non-competitive match.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:02 AM

View Postmartian, on 02 May 2022 - 08:15 PM, said:

If you do not care about Tier placement, then simply continue playing as usual and wait what happens.

If you do care about Tier placement, then perhaps it is the right time to revisit your 'Mechs and your tactics. For example, short range brawling is less viable in higher Tiers. etc.

i am just playing normal. i just let the psr place me where it will. there have been a number of system changes in the last year, fairly new pc, 144hz display, new input devices. i also think the cauldron has helped me as well, as i have been continuing to play my seldom used mechs. the main reason many of those were underused has been because they just suck. or at least did until the cauldron re-quirked them. i dont think im doing anything different. i was always a high t3 before so i guess it was enough to push me over the edge. frankly im shocked im still t2.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:29 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 May 2022 - 08:02 AM, said:

i am just playing normal. i just let the psr place me where it will. there have been a number of system changes in the last year, fairly new pc, 144hz display, new input devices. i also think the cauldron has helped me as well, as i have been continuing to play my seldom used mechs. the main reason many of those were underused has been because they just suck. or at least did until the cauldron re-quirked them. i dont think im doing anything different. i was always a high t3 before so i guess it was enough to push me over the edge. frankly im shocked im still t2.

Who knows? Maybe you really are improving your game. Posted Image

#16 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 01:44 PM

View Postmartian, on 02 May 2022 - 08:15 PM, said:

Sorry but this is full ********, what you are writing and want ppl to think and that is not true.

Even as not a fan of TTB, i drop more with him and some game with him are also fun.

(DO NOT MISTAKE: TTB MAKES GREAT VIDEOS AND TUTS even I appriciate, but his team-playing style sucks, as he is solo DamageDealer)

That said, the matches for me are now GREAT!

If I die then mostly it is 6-8 vs 12. THAT is a huge improvment to 2-4 !

YES there ARE really wierd 0-12 and 1-12 matches, where you feel the code sucking in blood, but that is now every 8-12 matches and not every 2-3-4 matches !!!

THAT IS A LOT OF FUN !!! You can then see your own suckness vs the great players or have "Assists".

TIER MATTERS !!!
BASTA

(sad fact though....)

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:40 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 03 May 2022 - 01:44 PM, said:

Sorry but this is full ********, what you are writing and want ppl to think and that is not true.

Even as not a fan of TTB, i drop more with him and some game with him are also fun.

(DO NOT MISTAKE: TTB MAKES GREAT VIDEOS AND TUTS even I appriciate, but his team-playing style sucks, as he is solo DamageDealer)

That said, the matches for me are now GREAT!

If I die then mostly it is 6-8 vs 12. THAT is a huge improvment to 2-4 !

YES there ARE really wierd 0-12 and 1-12 matches, where you feel the code sucking in blood, but that is now every 8-12 matches and not every 2-3-4 matches !!!

THAT IS A LOT OF FUN !!! You can then see your own suckness vs the great players or have "Assists".

TIER MATTERS !!!
BASTA

(sad fact though....)

From what I have heard, not every player wants to move to higher Tiers.

#18 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:42 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 03 May 2022 - 01:44 PM, said:

You've done nothing to disprove it so far. The burden of proof is on you there.

#19 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 12:08 AM

View PostHorseman, on 03 May 2022 - 08:42 PM, said:

You've done nothing to disprove it so far. The burden of proof is on you there.

I have done the same thing as he, wrote.
He does not proof of his wrting so no need for mine, IF I had to proof.

Making the first These does not mean that is also by default the Synthese! It take the Antithese before!!!

[redacted], start to correct your thinking before calling out for proof. It is a sharp blade of Logic necessary to be judge on written arguments.

STILL I did the job of describing the situation.

The moment of proff is on "him" alone if he reaches the T1 and mabe playing with TTB or others to see which "!written CLAIM" is right here and if his matches take any changes.

Even as biased as I am I have done more objectivity than you in your one sentense nonsense of demanding proof!

Specially writing nothing about the subject and demanding proof shows your position.

Because "martian" wrote something trigering feelings in you as I oppose him, is not really something about proof of concepts ...

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 04 May 2022 - 01:48 AM.

#20 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 May 2022 - 12:36 AM

View PostSeelenlos, on 04 May 2022 - 12:08 AM, said:

He does not proof of his wrting so no need for mine, IF I had to proof.
He conveys how the tier system works, both according to common knowledge and PGI's own statements. You, on the other hand, attacked him claiming that he's completely wrong but at the same time failing to correct him. It's not even that you don't have proof, you don't make a coherent argument in the first place.

[redacted]
[redacted]

STILL I did the job of describing the situation.
No, you started an incoherent rant that "you're still having fun" as if that was in any way contradictory to what Martian wrote.

Because "martian" wrote something trigering feelings in you as I oppose him, is not really something about proof of concepts ...
Dude, all Martian said was that if OP set himself a goal of advancing to T1, then he may need to adapt his builds and tactics to the more demanding opposition (which is true), and that the tier system should not be considered a reward to be gamed (which people often treat it as) but rather a matchmaking tool (which it is).
You're the one who triggered yourself into frothing at the mouth and name-calling us over it for no apparent ******* reason. That's on you.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 04 May 2022 - 01:49 AM.
quote clean-up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users