Pc Gaming On Linux! How To Get Started By The Good Old Gamer

8 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 06:07 AM

The Good Old Gamer:
"PC Gaming on Linux! How To Get Started. Today I Go Over How I Setup Pop OS For Linux PC Gaming. Starting From Initial Install Through Setting Up MangoHUD (for System and Performance Monitoring,) Steam, GOG, Epic Games, Origin, and Lutris So You Can Get Gaming FAST and Easy."

PC Gaming on Linux! How To Get Started - YouTube

Its coming to my mind frequently and i will switch the moment they enforce accountbinding in Win11 Pro.
Great that it seems you can do it with relative ease...

Edited by Thorqemada, 15 April 2022 - 06:08 AM.

#2 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 15 April 2022 - 10:30 AM

Thank goodness for Steam Play, and especially the Proton component... Posted Image

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 06:40 PM

the weird thing is most of the games i still play have native linux editions available. the mechwarrior franchise is really one of my last remaining holdups as far as games go.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 April 2022 - 06:44 PM.

#4 KabukiOne

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 11:34 AM

I'm so close to deleting Windows. It's just a few games that keep me on it. The way Proton is going, that issue could be resolved in the next year or two.

#5 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 04:50 PM

mw4 runs really well on vmware with win7 64-bit as the guest os (win10 host). but its very limited as to what resolutions it will support. the linux version might also work.

#6 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 06 May 2022 - 01:22 AM

Goodness. People have been trying to get a stable linux gaming os build for as long as I can remember. Seems its still hit and miss.

#7 KabukiOne

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:04 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 06 May 2022 - 01:22 AM, said:

Goodness. People have been trying to get a stable linux gaming os build for as long as I can remember. Seems its still hit and miss.

I think the big issue there is that there are a few hundred linux distros, and they are all different. If there was just one or two big distros, it would stabilize. Also, every distro has drastic changes every 6 months or 2 years for LTS.

#8 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 May 2022 - 06:39 PM

View PostKabukiOne, on 06 May 2022 - 08:04 AM, said:

I think the big issue there is that there are a few hundred linux distros, and they are all different. If there was just one or two big distros, it would stabilize. Also, every distro has drastic changes every 6 months or 2 years for LTS.

Odd that if there are hundreds of distros then shouldn't there be at least a few that specialize in pure gaming and focus on long term stability? If not then it seems whoever started the project would get hella support. It's not like you can't have multiple linux installs per pc so no reason to not have a 'productivity' distro and 'gaming' distro etc.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 12:53 PM

View PostKabukiOne, on 06 May 2022 - 08:04 AM, said:

the distros themselves are a big problem. you got bit monolithic distros that try to be jack of all trades. you got special use distros that do one thing very well (steam's distro falls into this bunch). and you have too many to support them all. different kernel versions and desktop environments (and their versions) and different software tailored to each (and their versions). and all the incompatibilities that come with them.

a lot of linux distros present one of the major pet peeves i have about windows as well. the operating system should be simple and stay out of your way and shouldn't install a boatload of software you will never use. the linux kernel is a rather nifty piece of code which then gets plastered with a bunch of tumorous growths that turn it into a lackluster kludge of an os.

you could start with a minimalistic distro and build it up for your use case, but most people don't know how to do that. i really liked linux on the raspberry pi, but that distro runs so well because everyone has the same hardware and every tweak to it is well documented. linux might work out on unified game consoles, like steam's various offerings, but i have my doubts about linux as a gaming os ever working as well on the pc with its myriad of possible configurations.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 May 2022 - 12:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users