10 replies to this topic

#1 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:04 PM

So with the new skill tree dropping shortly, we're going to see a lot of nodes relegated to the dust bin of history. Sub Optimal things that nobody takes. Or so we assume.

My question is on Reinforced Casing nodes. if you buy them for a Charger Number Seven, for example, which has a 90% crit chance reduction, is it indeed possible to bump that chassis up to a 100% reduced chance of criticals?

I know that's how Radar Deprivation goes, chassis quirks can take you up to but not over 100% Derp. Is the same true for Critical Hits?

#2 Magrowl

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:14 PM

Correct, a Charger-N7 with the crit reduction nodes is fully immune to crits so your structure is essentially just as good as armor at that point.

#3 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:43 PM

Yep. This has been my answer to make assaults a bit more survivable by giving them a global crit reduction quirk to go in conjunction with the skill nodes much like many atlas have. Having your weapons wiped out by a lone mg light after you get opened up but still having most of your structure left is a bit maddening. This is why I love crit sniping with lmg. They come into their own late game.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:21 AM

mgs and lbs just got defacto buffs, really who is going to take reinforced casing. and you just gave everyone viper-fs, the meta-ist machine gun boat in the game.

there are a lot of nodes i think could be baked into new equipment or upgrades. improved gyros, advanced optics, improved narc. much of this wouldn't even need retrofits. reinforced casing can be rolled into case.

way i see it a lot of nodes just became trash and this upgrade did not come with any cleanup.

#5 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:54 AM

I'm one of those who try to max out the entire Survival Tree, even for my Assaults.

Maxing out 8x Skill Tree nodes for Reinforced Casing (-15% = 8 X 1.5%) makes a noticeable difference!
Side torso weapons rarely gets destroyed even when side torso is almost cherry red.

Also helps mech Structure hit points last longer, as less crit hit chance (receiving).

And if your mech has quirk for built-in -X% crit hit chance (receiving), the more the merrier!

#6 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:44 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 May 2022 - 03:21 AM, said:

way i see it a lot of nodes just became trash and this upgrade did not come with any cleanup.

The tree redo now will allow for tweaking or replacing outdated or unpopular skills since they are each their own group without the complicated dependencies that frustrated trying to change or remove them in the previous version.

Don't know if adding or removing skills is more than xml changes but it shouldn't be too complicated.

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:59 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 13 May 2022 - 01:44 PM, said:

The tree redo now will allow for tweaking or replacing outdated or unpopular skills since they are each their own group without the complicated dependencies that frustrated trying to change or remove them in the previous version.

Don't know if adding or removing skills is more than xml changes but it shouldn't be too complicated.

Except for the wrinkle that PGI's goal was to make all mechs retain their skill after the skill tree revamp--presumably for months for infrequent players or those who have lots of mechs they don't play all the time. They can tweak values a little without too much concern but removing nodes or changing the 91 requirement will be a change that impacts builds.

#8 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 May 2022 - 02:22 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 16 May 2022 - 10:59 AM, said:

Except for the wrinkle that PGI's goal was to make all mechs retain their skill after the skill tree revamp--presumably for months for infrequent players or those who have lots of mechs they don't play all the time.

Well its an inelegant solution but it works. As long as you don't enter the skill tree your old skill build will still be there. I think that before the patch there needs to be a huge glowing page on the launcher that explains this out or else people are going to jump right into the skill tree and get confused why it auto unselected a bunch of skills.

#9 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:58 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 16 May 2022 - 02:22 PM, said:

Well its an inelegant solution but it works. As long as you don't enter the skill tree your old skill build will still be there. I think that before the patch there needs to be a huge glowing page on the launcher that explains this out or else people are going to jump right into the skill tree and get confused why it auto unselected a bunch of skills.

Oh, is that how it works, this newly revamped Skill Tree?
So we cannot even press the "Skills" tab on mechs we don't want to retouch the skills on?
(So bad things happen when we press "Skills" tab by accident?)

It would be infinitely better if one can look at thew new Skill Tree with your old skilled-up mech,
and keep old Skill Tree if player did not press [Save]. Most players would expect this behavior.

(ie: similar to MechLab mech changes: keep old mech weapons/equipment layout, unless player press [Save].)

Edited by w0qj, 16 May 2022 - 04:10 PM.

#10 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:40 PM

View Postw0qj, on 16 May 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

So we cannot even press the "Skills" tab on mechs we don't want to retouch the skills on?

It would be infinitely better if one can look at thew new Skill Tree with your old skilled-up mech,
and keep old Skill Tree if player did not press [Save]. Most players would expect this behavior.

(ie: similar to MechLab mech changes: keep old mech weapons/equipment layout, unless player press [Save].)

I think it’s safe to say that most folks should start with a skilled up mech that is NOT their favorite, just to learn the tree. That or wait a few days after the patch before making any changes and watch their favorite streamer do it live.

#11 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:22 PM

View Postw0qj, on 16 May 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

The reason is that the new tree has all skills in a sequential order so you go from range 1 to range 2 to range 3 etc. The old tree setup would mean if you only wanted say the ammo nodes you would select the right side of the firepower tree and you would end up with range 1 and 2 and 5 and 6 etc. So after the changes the range 5 and 6 will still be selected as long as you don't enter the skill tree. After entering the skill tree any orphaned nodes will be unselected. However they will still be 'bought' so after you buy the connecting nodes you can reselect the orphaned nodes for free. It works just as long as you are aware of what is going on which is why I think that before the patch the devs need to really hammer it home in a video blog or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users