Posted 20 May 2022 - 03:26 AM

Never forget, clanners suck!

#2 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 795 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 05:44 AM

I find it kind of funny that one of the major downfalls of the clan military doctrine in canon was their reliance on quick decisive victories with predominantly ammo dependant weaponry and the lack of logistics for such loadouts in prolonged fights due to the whole single-minded bidding for the imminent conflict (instead of the greater picture called "war") with the least possible amount of units and support prior to Tukkayid and MW:O's meta somewhat reflecting the "lessons learned" by focussing on energy based weaponry from thereon after.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 May 2022 - 05:53 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 20 May 2022 - 05:44 AM, said:

I find it kind of funny that one of the major downfalls of the clan military doctrine in canon was their reliance on quick decisive victories with predominantly ammo dependant weaponry and the lack of logistics for such loadouts in prolonged fights due to the whole single-minded bidding for the imminent conflict (instead of the greater picture called "war") with the least possible amount of units and support prior to Tukkayid and MW:O's meta somewhat reflecting the "lessons learned" by focussing on energy based weaponry from thereon after.

That was a Star League thing too, which is where they got it from. They'd put a mech into the field with such a great supply line (if they were winning) that the Quartermaster considered 8-10 rounds of ammo for your main weapon system to be sufficient. That's why you see stock mechs with Gauss Rifles with a single ton of ammo, or an AC/20 with just 2 tons. The Clans are BUILT from that military command structure.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 01:08 PM

memberberries.gif

yea bring back tukayyid. probibly run it in event queue though with a one lance team limit so those fp ivory tower denizens will stay away.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 May 2022 - 02:52 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 20 May 2022 - 05:53 AM, said:

That was a Star League thing too, which is where they got it from. They'd put a mech into the field with such a great supply line (if they were winning) that the Quartermaster considered 8-10 rounds of ammo for your main weapon system to be sufficient. That's why you see stock mechs with Gauss Rifles with a single ton of ammo, or an AC/20 with just 2 tons. The Clans are BUILT from that military command structure.

To be fair, after a single engagement most mechs are in no condition for a second without repair. Might as well reload while you're at it. Ten rounds of ammo is generally enough for a single engagement in table top if you pick your shots properly. That said, I find 10 shots to be the bare minimum, and sometimes it isn't enough for lower damage weapons (looking at you, Rifleman).

Of course, none of our engagements, table top or in video games, reflects what happens in real world battles. In a real engagement, 10% losses is considered to be horrific. In our virtual battles, both sides are willing to fight to the last man like blood-drunk psychopaths.

#6 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 12:04 AM

The clans fought war against each other, opponents who were willing to be defeated. This is the same concept of martial arts who is an acrobatic showcase demonstration facing real brawlers being defeated because laws do not apply the opponent to be defeated.

Decisive victories were part of the clans strategy against opponents who openly admitted a defeat. This is example of nations signing their defeat. The Inner sphere was divided is such way while most of the small rulers were defeated as isolated cells of the inner sphere, when those cells were combined they had lots of people who fought without the concept of national defeat.

Winning a single great battle wasn't possible since the inner sphere wouldn't follow the laws of war.

#7 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 06:11 PM

The clans base their mechs off of honor duels and medieval style tourney fights and are surprised when they lose.
While the IS actually fight to win wars. Frankly the only reason the Clans got as far as they had was plot armor.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:59 AM

you can make initial gains with the element of surprise alone and then be stuck as resistance build. with the battletech dropship rules and limits of communications (and comstar meddling in same), its no wonder clans made initial advances and stalled out. i dont think its a case of plot armor as much as a case of not being ready for a major incursion from an as of yet unknown faction.

i think the clans wanted tukayyid as much as the inner sphere did, because the is were discovering the clan's limitations and clan progress into the sphere had stalled out to a point where continuing the invasion would be too costly. especially the warden clans who would have seen this as a fruition to their goals to steer the is back to a more civilized state (of course that didnt last). from their viewpoint, win or lose, the is would be better off. the crusader clans simply went into it thinking they would win.

#9 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:58 PM

Hands down, one of my favorite made-up battles of all time.. and here's a few tidbits about it:

So, Clan Wolf had to conquer two towns. Brzo, and Skupo, right? Well, the town of Brzo was won quickly, and the word "Brzo" translates to Croatian as "quickly".. Also, the town of "Skupo" was won at great cost. Likewise, the word "Skupo" translates in Croatian as "expensive".. #TheMoreYouKnow

Also, the first MWO Tukayyid event was by orders of magnitude the absolute BEST event MWO ever put on, and I consider it the golden age of the game.

Back then, we had alot more players. We had units that had role play and camaraderie. I was only a young Clan Wolf sibko back then, serving in Clan Wolf International (CWI), and I trained for 2 months to pass my trial of position to actually become a Wolf Warrior, and participate in Tukayyid. (Which I passed with witnesses).

My prized mech back then was a Timberwolf, armed with 2xCLRM20+4CERML. Boy did it rock.. And the dropdeck also consited of a Myst Lynx, a Hellbringer, and a Storm Crow.

Buying a Clan Wolf Warhorn was the first MC I had ever spent in the game - and boy was it worth it. It was the first "howl" of the entire event for CWI, I actually had "first blood" as my 12-man dropped.

I also fondly recall as the final battles of the event were taking place. We CWI was dropping 2-3 full 12-mans throughout the weekend. I was playing 16+ hours a day, with only short food and bio brakes. 3 days of non-stop MWO. As the clans were winning by a slim margin, the last drop was utterly crazy.

The final battle was starting, and we knew we wouldn't get time for another, so we had a crazy plan. We were gonna go for gens, suicide rush them, and get that last win.

On our last drop on Hellbore springs, we were beaten and bruised, only had out last mechs left, and were down on kills by a great amount, but the way to Omega was clear. Then - a plan formed. We were going to commit two lances to the left gate, and keep the fighting there, while sneaking one lance of ECM-equipped lights to the right gate, and rush Omega. The fighting was fierce, but I'll never ever forget the result..

I rushed my Mist Lynx in to the hill overlooking Omega, and was bringing it down, ignoring mechs completely. I think most of my lance was already dead, but I powered through - and was killed. But as I died, I saw Omega exploding. My final shot had destroyed it.

We WON.

And after we all landed in out mech bays, we got the full event results - The CLANS WON.

I am a deeply proud owner of the "Tukayyid Victory" banner cockpit item.

For me, the first Battle of Tukayyid event was a shining moment in my very long gaming portfolio. One I will cherish and remember as long as I live. I can proudly say I was there.

And I made a difference.

I leave you, dear reader, with the Clan Wolf motto - Adapt. Surive. Thrive.

Edited by Vellron2005, 24 May 2022 - 02:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users