Is There A "realistic" Weapons Mod ?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:13 AM

Just wondering, has anyone ever tried to create a realistic weapons mod for Battletech?

I mean in the way that weapons would act more like if they where actualy refinements of todays weapons and not altered to fit a tabletop game.

For example the short ranges of BT, in my impression, comes from the fact that you need something that is practical to be played on a table.
I mean I once tried to do a "realistc" tabletop game for WW2 warships, yes a World of Warships tabletop thingy and just for the lulz I actualy made the weapon ranges to scale with the minitures and.... well some battleships would have fired about 10m /32 feet.
That isn't very practical ^_^

So comming back to Battletech. I think its similar here so did someone tried to change this?
I mean it would change the gameplay a ******* lot.

Some basic thoughts I had about this where:

Autocannons would be your butter and bread weapon as far as range and damage go but you have limited ammo.Giving lasers a reason to exist.

AC2 would be like a Sniper rifle. You stay stationary and fire over extrem ranges but have to calculate for wind and rotation.

AC5 would be an AA like flak cannon. Sure you can point it at ground targets but that isn't its main function. Good VS Airtargets and soft targets like infantry

AC10 your main gun like you find it on tanks of today. Think Abrahams or Leopard 2.

AC20, if your AC10 isn't big enough and you need the most firepower in one projectile that is possible.

Laser weapons
Overall very short range compared to the autocannons but without the ammo problem. Heat would be reduced over current BT values. They are also excelent in softening armor to be better penetraded by ACs and other explosive weapons.
Also no traveling time, unlike projectiles.

LRMs
Mixed ideas. On part wants to turn them in area bombardment weapons like a "Stalin Organ" the other part want to turn them into single shot, high precision missiles.

Stalin Organ is pretty clear I think. Just aim at an area and fire and forget. You can even do that over the battlegrid. Place your mech somewhere save, change to the map and designate an area for bombardment.

Precision missile is a concept that sound strange in BT. The idea is your mech dosn't come with tons of realoads but has the number of missiles that are in your launcher.
A LRM 5 has 5 missiles, done, thats it. On the other hand these have much higher damage per missile and are much more precice but you have to get a good target lock to make them count and that is where the problems start. Mechs have, unlike tanks, quite a good suit of countermesures build in. That is why its hard to get a target lock in BT in general. You can find mentionings of that in the rules and some novels.
So a spotter is basicly a must have to get a good traingulation.

SRMs
Fire and forget. Similar to the LRMs I would go with either lots of ammo or just what you have in the launcher.

PPCs
High range, high damage, lots of heat. The ultimate expression of firepower on the battlefield. Problem is that they tend to arc the damage. So when firing them up close you might roast yourself or allied units in close proximity. They also have the effect of ******* up targeting for you and the enemy. Still the amount of damage in combination with the range and no ammo dependency make them interesting.

Again this is a very rough idea. Maybe someone with better knowledge of todays weapons could come up with something better.
My basic thought is to bring BT weapons closer to todays and see how battles would play out then.
I imagne something like the old Helicopter sims or Tanks sims where it was much more tactical and slow paced where you fought over very long ranges instead of constant brawls of today MW games.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 June 2022 - 08:18 PM

If it was realistic, the entire premise of Battletech shouldn't work.

But anyways, use MercTech, closest to a mech simulator.

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:56 AM

Yep, Battletech/Mechwarrior needs to be realistic in terms with the scenario it offers and mostly it is depending on the iterations and abstractions way that BT/MW games in the end take.

Merctech is the most Sim thing you can Mod to this MW5 game - absolutely postively try it out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users