- - - - -

Weapons Grouping Left - Right

7 replies to this topic

#1 JDSKicker

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 09:51 AM

HI
I use a joystick. I like to fire lasers on the left in a group & lasers on the right in a group. Good for when your hiding behind a tree/rock. I had all my mechs set up for this, which is very time consuming. As, I have to go into the test grounds & find out which side each weapon is on by firing them individually & noting which side they come from.
My old(11yrs) PC just crapped out & I purchased another. All my Mechs have lost the groupings I had saved.
Is there any way of telling which side these weapons are on when your in the mech lab & assigning weapons? Or do I have to go through the same process I did before using the testing grounds?

TIA

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 10:38 AM

One side usually comes before the other, maybe arms left, arms right, torso left, torso right or something like that. If you have it wrong, its usually easy to flip half and half the other way around at the start of a match. I usually do that instead of fiddling in mechlab.

The centermost weapons can take a few tries to find which is which, or which one is high on the mech and which one is low.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 June 2022 - 12:28 PM

Testing Grounds is where you can ensure proper weapon grouping!

Left/Right placement is relatively easy if you do enough of these, you'll notice the usual pattern!

It's the center CT (and Head) weapons that makes it tricky ;)
I almost always have to go to Testing Grounds if there are CT/Head weapons.
ymmv

View PostJDSKicker, on 05 June 2022 - 09:51 AM, said:

...I use a joystick. I like to fire lasers on the left in a group & lasers on the right in a group. Good for when your hiding behind a tree/rock. I had all my mechs set up for this, which is very time consuming. As, I have to go into the test grounds & find out which side each weapon is on by firing them individually & noting which side they come from.
My old(11yrs) PC just crapped out & I purchased another. All my Mechs have lost the groupings I had saved.
Is there any way of telling which side these weapons are on when your in the mech lab & assigning weapons? Or do I have to go through the same process I did before using the testing grounds? ...

#4 Therax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 12:38 PM

In the Weapon Groups tab of the MechLab, all of a mechs weapons are ordered from the left side of the mech to the right side of the mech, after arm mounted weapons have been separated from non-arm mounted weapons, and identical weapons have been listed together.

arm / non-arm > weapon type > left side to right side

This Black Knight build was created specifically to use as an example.

https://imgur.com/a/qad1dMh

https://mwo.nav-alph...88be4b_BL-7-KNT

A2582:H1|`g|i^|i^|i^|i^pl0|F@|`?|F@|i^|i^ql0|F@|`?|i^|i^rP0|F@sY0|F@|F@|i^|1=2t_0u_0v=0|F@w404040

In the example Black Knight build there are three ER Medium Lasers in the arms, one in the left arm and two in the right arm. The ER Medium Laser in the left arm is listed above the two ER Medium Lasers located in the right arm and has been assigned to fire as part of weapon group one.

The two Large Lasers mounted in the torsos have been listed above the remaining torso mounted ER Medium Lasers. The Large Laser in the left torso is listed above the Large Laser in the right torso and has also been assigned to weapon group one.

The ER Medium laser in the left torso is listed first, followed by the head mounted ER Medium Laser, and both have also been assigned to weapons group one.

The second Large Laser and the bottom two ER Medium Lasers are in the right torso and have been assigned to weapons group two, along with the two ER Medium Lasers from the right arm.

Edited by Therax, 05 June 2022 - 12:41 PM.

#5 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 05 June 2022 - 02:05 PM

The thing that bothers me is that depending on where you put weapons and equipment also determines how high on the side torsos the weapons will be. If theyre going to limit where you can put weapons on the mechs they just might as well have dedicated weapons slots instead of how it is now or just go back to the original paper doll and the weapon placementis shown for canon purposes but isnt limited to the load outs from Canon. Look Omnipods did one thing for the Clans that the inner sphere couldnt and that was to make repairs and swapping out weapons take less time, so instead of days it takes hours to customize your mech for specific planetary conditions. Other than the mechs being limited to a certain number of available slots for loading out. It really sucks to not beable to put heat sinks in legs for Clan mechs to take advantage of immersing them in water for faster cooling, especially since the supposedly more heat efficient weapons of the clan generate more ghost heat than the inner spheres barely kept operational due to lack of fully trained Techs and duct tape, bailing wire and spit keeping the IS weapons and equipment in working order.
And I still want a LOGICAL reason why the Original weapons that the Clans keep well maintained, fire multiple rounds for AC's but the cobbled together IS weapons dont randomly blow up when used. Because an AC-20 that fires 5 rounds doing 4 dmg each which can end up spread all over the target mech is superior to a IS AC 20 that fires one round and does all its damage in one spot but didnt have to have the round increased in size and given more 'powder' so that 1 round would still do the damage of 5 rounds but doesnt blow up 10 percent of the time. Balance will never be achieved if you just dont make each sides weapons identical, because the keeping of Canon and balanced opponents was never a thing in BattleTech. The IS could put more bodies in mechs than the clanners did and THATS the only reason the IS could keep the Clans from just steam rolling over the Inner Sphere. "Honor does nothing for the Dead"

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 June 2022 - 05:12 PM

Inner Sphere weapons of this era aren't cobbled together, or "barely functional." Even during the Succession Wars era, there were still new 'mechs being produced, and new weapons available to replace worn-out models. Lost technology is a defining characteristic of the Succession wars, but you're confusing the Inner Sphere of that era with the Periphery. 'Mechs and weapons were still being pumped out by automated factories throughout the Succession Wars, and while Battlemechs are Lostech by definition during that era, their weapons may not be - and are certainly more commonly manufactured. And of course this wasn't the case by the time the Space Huns Clans arrived in civilized space: the New Avalon Institute of Science and the Grey Death memory core had kickstarted the recovery of high technology in the Inner Sphere past what ComStar could suppress. This recovery was widespread enough that it was being felt at the strategic level - commanders were willing to take losses in 'Mechs and materiel that they would previously have avoided, because now those things could be far more easily replaced.

You'll need a logical objection before you can expect a logical rebuttal.

PS: The Inner Sphere also used tactical flexibility to stop the Clans. The Battle of Tukayyid showcased this; the largely green Com Guards stopped the pride of the Clan offensive because the Clans thought in terms of force-on-force conflicts, and had little experience of real war. In other words, they're great at using superior technology and brutally-trained warriors to bully the Inner Sphere, but they don't do so well when fighting a real war against people whose technology is even comparable to the Star League's.

#7 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 08:12 AM

Genrally the weapons on your left are further up the list, and weapons on your right at the bottom. For example if you have 8x lasers split between your left and right arms switching the last four to fire group 2 should put all the right side lasers in one group.

the game subdivides your torso weapons from arm weapons but they follow the same priority so if you had for example, 3 lasers in both arms and 1 in each side torso the last 3 lasers are your right side lasers and the second laser in your torso group is the right side laser.

this can get a little confusing when using mixed weapon types since the game tends to lump all weapons of the same type together but that's generally how it works. Weapons lower in the list are usually on the right side. I know this from doing lots of reconfiguring on the fly and eventually got to the point i could guess what weapons I needed to move to what fire group for proper left/right grouping.

#8 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:11 PM

There has already been a lot covered about the weapon groups.
But your weapon groups, settings, keybinds and so forth are all saved locally on your old HD. Just navigate to C:\users\youruser\saved games\ and you'll find MWo's custom saved files.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 05 July 2022 - 09:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users