Can We Keep Broken Tourmaline As A New Map?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 21 June 2022 - 05:30 PM

I'm not saying keep tourmaline itself this way, but I'd love to see a moon map with terrain like this:
Posted Image

Could add boulders and stuff of course, and maybe a small outpost here and there. I think it could be promising as long as there's enough cover to keep it from becoming another lurmageddon map.

#2 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 June 2022 - 06:22 PM

LRMs aren't your only worry, ERLL spam will be plentiful without significantly more cover. There are sightlines for days.

#3 StrikerSW

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 06:32 PM

At least the old version allowed you to use a high mountain for cover when snipers are on opposite side of map. Just played my first new map tonight and ER LL had already taken over game play since there's a sniping spots from beginning drop to middle of map. Certainly not enough cover to close distance without taking a ton of damaging long range fire. I ran MRM's and between pop tarting and Long range fire I never got close to the snipers.

#4 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,408 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:51 PM

New maps are always welcome, add to the variety ;)
(Yes, please!)

#5 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:29 AM

I've had a blast every time this has come up tonite. Take the map as it is and make it look like a massive ongoing battlefield. Those mech debris can be sprinkled around the ridgelines and some stone and blasted rocks can be strewn about for a bit of cover in the dips and craters and a few strategic hills could block off the really long sniping lanes. Would probably be the easiest map conversion ever. Makes me wonder if some other maps could be recycled by removing all the assets and adding in some new.

#6 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:39 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 22 June 2022 - 12:29 AM, said:

I've had a blast every time this has come up tonite.

"Every Time"?

I'm on my 60th match across half a dozen accounts since patch dropped. Out of those 60 matches 55 have been Vitric Station, and literally none of the others were Tourmaline. Or Caustic for that matter.

#7 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:05 AM

Well I had just ended a 5 hour session and it came up 4 times. But yeah vitric was the dominate map tonite.

#8 Hindenhoot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 05:33 AM

Wait, are the assets actually "physically" gone from the map or is it a rendering issue and they are there and invisible?

Haven't played yet, just checked in to see the response on the new map and mech. How does something like this even happen on such an old and established map?

#9 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:05 AM

View PostDahoota, on 22 June 2022 - 05:33 AM, said:

Wait, are the assets actually "physically" gone from the map or is it a rendering issue and they are there and invisible?

They are gone in the sense that they are not created when the map loads. You can have a look at it in testing grounds.

From a look in the level files i think they're actually nominally still in there (netmission0.bai looks emptied).

Edited by katoult, 22 June 2022 - 06:26 AM.

#10 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:15 AM

I think this should be a separate map. I love it like this!

#11 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:18 AM

Had it a few more times and still having great fun. Now that everyone and their urbanmech has radar dep the lock on weapons like lrm are not really an issue. You need to wait till a brawl starts or a well placed uav pops up. So its playing out more like the old polar highlands sans the lock on spam. Its funny how the map is so generic you can easily get lost and turned around since one hill and crater looks much like the rest. Really digging the wasteland vibe. Again just sprinkle dead mechs all over the place on ridges and chokes for some cover and some large blasted rocks in the low areas to have a bit of cover from snipers.

#12 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:45 AM

It's like a dusty Alpine Peaks.

It might be interesting if converted with Forest Colony assets or Viridian Bog assets.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 22 June 2022 - 10:47 AM.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:55 AM

It would be interesting to clear other maps and see what other combos we can make to them.

#14 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:23 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 22 June 2022 - 01:05 AM, said:

Well I had just ended a 5 hour session and it came up 4 times. But yeah vitric was the dominate map tonite.

For reference it took me 108 drops since patch until i actually got Tourmaline Desert for the first time. It came up in map selection before that only twice.
84 of those matches were Vitric Station.

Also, Tourmaline's the best map in the game right now. Seriously. And i didn't even woosh. There's a ton of cover (just like there was on Old Polar), the fights - in conquest mode - took place mostly at medium ranges.

Edited by katoult, 22 June 2022 - 11:24 AM.

#15 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:37 AM

I quite like it. Add it to the mix.

#16 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:00 PM

I played it once, and didn't have a great time.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:17 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 22 June 2022 - 12:00 PM, said:

I played it once, and didn't have a great time.

i played it twice, didnt have a good time, but i dont blame the map. i blame the teams who are completely unwilling to fight in a combat game.

i think no bs terrain-only maps are what this game is sorely lacking.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 June 2022 - 01:18 PM.

#18 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:01 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 June 2022 - 01:17 PM, said:

i played it twice, didnt have a good time, but i dont blame the map. i blame the teams who are completely unwilling to fight in a combat game.

i think no bs terrain-only maps are what this game is sorely lacking.

We have a phrase in software engineering that has been coming up with blameless culture: it's the systems fault (because the systems in place allowed you to make a mistake). Honestly it might as well be the software engineering version of don't hate the player, hate the game but whatever. If the game isn't incentivizing people to play actively (or camp), it's honestly the game's fault for rewarding that behavior. This is the major reason that skirmish is actually awful on large maps when you get that one guy that wants to spend half the match running around not doing anything or a team camps something like basement of HPG.

I would imagine this is one of the main reasons CS:GO deathmatch isn't popular with competitive, because it discourages active play. This is why dominations/conquest have been the game mode of choice for MWO competitive (joke that it is).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 22 June 2022 - 04:05 PM.

#19 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:54 PM

Seriously this is a mistake or something??!!

I was surprised when I saw it, but after even half a match...

I LOVE it!

This would easily be one of my top three maps from now on for sure.

KEEP please!

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:05 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 22 June 2022 - 03:01 PM, said:

We have a phrase in software engineering that has been coming up with blameless culture: it's the systems fault. Honestly it might as well be the software engineering version of don't hate the player, hate the game but whatever. If the game isn't incentivizing people to play actively (or camp), it's honestly the game's fault for rewarding that behavior. This is the major reason that skirmish is actually awful on large maps when you get that one guy that wants to spend half the match running around not doing anything or a team camps something like basement of HPG.

I would imagine this is one of the main reasons CS:GO deathmatch isn't popular with competitive, because it discourages active play. This is why dominations/conquest have been the game mode of choice for MWO competitive (joke that it is).

i wouldnt exactly say the game is rewarding this behavior. everyone is loosing score/cbills/xp/psr as a result (pretty much every reason to play the game) except maybe the 2 guys that have the builds for this kind of attrition play. its the 9 other players, and possibly myself (i usually end up dying trying to work around the situation) that enter a state of apathy as a result of seeing a couple guys hanging back. not taking risks is bloody contagious.

as much as id like to blame something out of my control, i kind of think that is the easy way out.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 June 2022 - 04:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users