#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 01 July 2022 - 08:39 PM

Hello all,

I’ve found effective builds for all my Crusaders (at least for T4) except the -5M.

I’m currently running AC + missile builds but they all seem a bit weak compared to the other variants.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
CFC Conky

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 July 2022 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I didn't like the 5M. You kind of HAVE to take an LBX autocannon, and it might as well be a 10 for the weight, but that leaves only SRM tonnage. I did manage to squeeze 3 ML onto mine, did the event with it.

https://mwo.nav-alph...c2a10e2f_CRD-5M

Honestly, this one will probably sit in the hangar for a long time.

#3 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 07:28 AM

I've been trying to leave off the LBX; added 2x MPL, 4x SSRM6 (since it has the HSL quirk for Streak) and maxed the engine. I'm not impressed... they underquirked this 'mech and the quirks are contradictory, since if you use the HSL quirk you basically can't fit any LBX on it at all but if you put on an LBX then you can only use 3 of the missile hardpoints so the HSL quirm is meaningless.

#4 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 08:03 AM

After playing around with it a bit more today, I have to agree that the 5M's setup and quirking was not well thought out.

#1 - Streak HSL quirk. Indicates for loading down with 4x Streak-6. Anything less isn't leveraging the quirk. But with that tonnage, there's no room left for an LBX autocannon.

#2 - Top size engine limited to 315; makes it even harder to get the streaks into range.

#3 - On the flipside if you equip any ballistic, very difficult to slot enough SSRM to use the quirk (even if it's a single MG and ammo). And that's also a problem with the slotting - the left arm has 1 energy 1 missile, the torsos each only have one missile... the right arm has 1 ballistic, 2 energy, 1 missile. It's right-hand heavy but any LBX squeezes the weight and slotting limits hard.

What I've done is slot 3x ML, 4x SSRM6, maxed the engine, filled the rest of the space with heatsinks and a lv1 TC, and just ignored the ballistic hardpoint to get up to above a 60point damage listing... but I'm underwhelmed. Once the event requirements are done, like Conky said, this one's going to be sitting in the hangar unused.

#5 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone, I suppose that with any chassis there is a variant that turn out to be a lemon in MWO vs TT.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 02 July 2022 - 08:16 AM.

#6 w0qjw0qj

• Pip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 08:28 AM

Thought I'm the only one with issues with CRD-5M...

Here's my build, 1-trick-pony that works until... Posted Image
https://mwo.nav-alph...77fe23cd_CRD-5M

ie: AC5 + 2xSNPPC, LE280 or LE285

Edited by w0qjw0qj, 02 July 2022 - 08:28 AM.

#7 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 09:00 AM

View Postw0qjw0qj, on 02 July 2022 - 08:28 AM, said:

Thought I'm the only one with issues with CRD-5M...

Here's my build, 1-trick-pony that works until... Posted Image
https://mwo.nav-alph...77fe23cd_CRD-5M

ie: AC5 + 2xSNPPC, LE280 or LE285

Eek. Yeah... all the weapons in RA , yikes.

It's not just you. The quirks on the 'mech don't match the slots well. HSL limit for SSRMs isn't half as important as a range boost quirk or fire rate quirk would be. And the HSL quirk being meaningless once you slot an LBX or any other ballistic weapon makes it even worse.

#8 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 10:37 AM

And a check at Sarna says... how did they arrive at this for quirks? It's not even lore-normal. Lorewise the CRD-5M would be 2x LRM15, 2x Streak2's, a flamer, a MG, and a head-mount AMS.

The only thing I can think of is that they already put the MG and LRM quirks on the 3R variant so someone decided to slap some random other quirks onto the 5M without considering how it would balance :(

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 July 2022 - 04:08 PM

View PostMaster Q, on 02 July 2022 - 10:37 AM, said:

And a check at Sarna says... how did they arrive at this for quirks? It's not even lore-normal. Lorewise the CRD-5M would be 2x LRM15, 2x Streak2's, a flamer, a MG, and a head-mount AMS.

The only thing I can think of is that they already put the MG and LRM quirks on the 3R variant so someone decided to slap some random other quirks onto the 5M without considering how it would balance Posted Image

‘Essentially, yeah. They wanted each Crusader to have a unique role. And that’s fine, but they ignored lore. The end result is a slugger of an LRM mech that isn’t very good with LRMs.

I would have LOVED it if they could have made one of the variants have a reduced minimum range quirk.

#10 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 06:08 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 July 2022 - 04:08 PM, said:

‘Essentially, yeah. They wanted each Crusader to have a unique role. And that’s fine, but they ignored lore. The end result is a slugger of an LRM mech that isn’t very good with LRMs.

I would have LOVED it if they could have made one of the variants have a reduced minimum range quirk.

The more I look at some of the quirks, the more some need rethinking.

For instance - a 10% boost to range on LRMs is massive. A 10% boost to range on MRMs is quite serviceable.

A 10% boost to range on SRMs or Streak SRMs? That should probably be 20% instead. Especially if it's on mechs that are already hamstrung by low-power engine limitations and can't close distance quickly.

#11 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 05:46 PM

Well I’ve decided to equip my -5M with 4xASRM6 and 3xMPL.

69.6pt alpha, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 09:52 AM

Hello all,

The ASRM6/MPL build seems to work the best. The mech is pretty squishy so I run it like a medium mech and choose my engagements more carefully.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#13 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 July 2022 - 05:20 PM

Crusader mech chassis build ideas now up!
https://docs.google....Aud8VihUp7zDCUw

CRD-5M: author suggest LBX10 + 2xSNPPC... interesting ;)

All Crusader mech variants deploy with XL engines though...not for the faint of heart!

#14 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 12:05 PM

View Postw0qj, on 14 July 2022 - 05:20 PM, said:

Crusader mech chassis build ideas now up!
https://docs.google....Aud8VihUp7zDCUw

CRD-5M: author suggest LBX10 + 2xSNPPC... interesting Posted Image

All Crusader mech variants deploy with XL engines though...not for the faint of heart!

Pretty weak alpha for a heavy mech, I prefer my build with more attention paid to positioning and the timing of my attacks (in T4 anyway).

Thanks for the link to the doc!

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 15 July 2022 - 12:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users