Nova Cat Prime Tips?

9 replies to this topic

#1 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 05:41 AM

I started playing MWO with one of my favourite mechs in MW4, Nova Cat, and found out that it is really not that great here. It can deal a lot of damage, but it gets overwhelmed by baasically any enemy very easily. So i went to the forums, but sadly i found out that maily every topic realted to Nova Cat is just a suggestions about how to reconfigure the builds, and about 80% of comments were related to the ballistic or missile variants. I am a very big energy weapons enthusiast, so i struggled to find anything about my favourite NCT-PRIME, but there were almost nothing.

I am still rather new to MWO, so, if somebody played the NCT-PRIME with the stock loadout (2xCERPPC + 3xCERLL), could you please share your experience and tips with me here? If stock NCT-PRIME build is even remotly playable, how should i play it correctly? What skills should i take in the skill tree to make it better? Does the speed tweak skill tree even matter, considering it only adds about 5 KPH? Do i stick to the team even if they charge forward into brawl or do i sit back and try to cover them from far away, unexposed to the brawling enemies but unprotected from lurking light 'Mechs? Anything you know about Prime stock build, please, post it here, i will be very glad to receive any tips!

Edited by JumpingHunter, 10 July 2022 - 05:42 AM.

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 10 July 2022 - 07:44 AM

Hello JumpingHunter,

Not many mechs are effective with their stock load outs in MWO. That NCT build looks hot as all get out and unless you can stay at range you will be murdered by anything with better dps.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,411 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 10 July 2022 - 10:11 AM

Greetings!

If you insist on using Nova Cat Prime for its SO8 (Set-of-8) bonuses, just use 5x ERLL, and you can fire 3x ERLL at once!
It's got the +1 HSL ERLL quirk inside its SO8 bonus.
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechs
https://mwomercs.com...-hsl-quirk-list

Here's the problem:
Nova Cat main weapons in its fragile arms, including above 5x ERLL build.
Arm weapons means exposing most of your mech to fire your main weapons.
It's also got wiiidddeee LT/RT/CT.
Even factoring in JJ (JumpJets), it's definitely not the strongest mech out there.

And that's why you regularly see Nova Cat NCT-B doing LRM, way in the back, well away from brawling.
In fact, NCT-B is so popular that it's been included into the Clan Platinum Collection 02 !

Don't wanna to sound harsh, but Nova Cat is a struggling chassis, with only NCT-B being regularly fielded...

#4 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 11:30 AM

Ok, Firstly, Stock builds are generally bad, even if clan PPC's hadn't been nerfed ages ago the stock Prime build would still be pretty bad.

If you're hellbent on playing it as is for some insane reason, you have to play it as a sniper, fight from long range poke from around corners ideally only exposing your arms when possible, and avoid any and all manner of cqc because it's physically impossible for the build to keep up in damage due to high heat/poor cooling and lack of quick/burst damage.You poke and move.

You're obviously going to want ALL the heat related skill tree's and depending on what you choose later for weapons possibly range, but truth be told you don't really need the range nodes when running a bunch of ER large lasers. Take the radar deprivation nodes because hiding behind cover after you fire is essential and removing yourself from opposing sensors does make a difference. Speed is optional, if you feel you have spare points go for it, being mobile helps you don't want to dawdle in one spot firing beams for too long. Stay with the team, because you don't really have the durability or the burst damage to try and 1v1 big mechs. Also make sure to take the survival nodes because even surviving one more hit may mean one more chance to fire back.

I'm going to assume you're brand new and don't have a stockpile of weapons and C-bills and changing your config and meddling with omni-pods significantly probably seems needlessly costly to you at this point, but the NCT-Prime has a couple of glaring flaws, first it only has 5 hardpoints which really limits what you can put on it, but leaves plenty of room for heatsinks, second it's most notable quirk is the rare heast scale bonus for ER large lasers which is almost non-existent for clan mechs, However because it ONLY applies to ER larges instead of large lasers in general it's of limited use and that's why most people change pods to get additional hardpoints to increase it's firepower.

If you really really need to keep the prime config though, I'd strongly suggest Replacing the PPC's at the very least, either with Large pulse lasers or Heavy large lasers to add more punch to the build, or even just more ER larges if you're commiting to the sniper role. But for the love of god get rid of the PPC's. The quirks and bonuses of the prime are not very good to be honest.

Try some configurations and use the test option to try out setups without having to spend your c-bills before you commit to a config. One I might suggest is taking the triple ER larges out for triple Heavy large lasers and treating your left arm like it's a beam cannon...because at that point it basically will be. 52points of damage ad you'll still be able to put 2 weapons in the other arm, load up on 13-15 heatsinks depending on whether you want lams, a TC(You should use a TC1) and maybe an active probe if you're worried about quick ecm mechs running up on you. the two in the other arm can be ER larges or mediums or medium pulses....whatever you feel you need either more long range support or a close in defense weapon. You could also invert this with triple ER's and two Heavy larges less upfront damage but easier to manage.

Alternatively you could lean into triple Large Pulse lasers, it's less burst but faster refire and you'll be better able to handle mid-close range threats with better heat management.

#5 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 04:58 AM

Wow, that is a lot of help, thank you all, people!

I played with NCT-PRIME for a while, and found out that it is not THAT bad, actually. I used it a while ago (like a year or so) with 5xERLL, 3xERLL+2xHLL and after that with 3xERLL+2xLPL, but all of these options were too weak to snipe from very far away because of laser damage splitting and were by far too weak to even consider to join close range combat. So i was torturing myself with it back then for like a 3 month and then i sold it and moved on. But now i bought it again, and decided to make it perfectly lore-accurate NCT-PRIME with 2xERPPC and 3xERLL, just to have in my mech bay.

And it acutally was better than other laser builds i tried, considering 600 - 1000 damage in a good match is not bad, which i am sure is not. It is not THAT hot, it heats up very quickly but cools down insanely quick, only Warhawk dissipate heat quickier, at least i didn't see any other mechs with so good heat dissipation. It have great range, without range nodes it's 850 range is almost perfect for most of the large maps, only something like Alpine Peaks will be too large for such range to be sufficient, but this map is rather rare. It's main downsides is horribly slow weapon cooldown speed and even more horrible hitboxes in the conjunction with even MORE horrible mech's top speed. The cooldown issue can be solved by enabling chainfire, it also makes Nove Can much less hot than firing all 2 PPCs or 3LLs at once. And the speed and hitboxes issue, despite being unsolvable, still basically not important when you have someone like Atlas or Annihilator to be the scary target which everybody want to kill ASAP.

Nova Cat turned out to be great sidekick for the big 'Mechs, while they suck all the damage into themselves NCT shoots everything down, preferably from as far away as possible, and when the big guys die he will hopefully be able to either shoot down damaged targets or at least get away and find next teammate to be used as a meat shiedl. In other words, like Clan Nova Cat intended, it's a second line support mech. And when it have somebody to support, and somebody to be the first line, Nova Cat becomes a big difference maker, because of good sustained fire he provides. At least this is how i play him, and i never dealt more damage with other mechs, even when my team is really good.

The reason why i kept the PPCs, aside from historical accuracy, is because lasers split their damage too much, and sometimes you really need some "hit or miss" weapon, and because i am not old enough to remember the time when Clan PPCs weren't nerfed, i find them a great addition for the mech. Chain firing them with lasers is actually a nice way to have at least 1 weapon ready to scare off somebody who tried to flank you, and for dealing damage reasons PPCs aren't that bad, at least when you are far away from your target.

The main problem with Nova Cat, as well as some other second line supports, i suppose, is that often your team is not good enough to rely on them to suck damage and be the scary first line mechs, so i found myself left alone in 9-3 losing game with other 2 mechs being some lights with ECM and Stealth armor very often. Relying on team to be good is too unreliable strategy, especially if you are the 70 ton heavy mech that can only run with 69 KPH. So when my team isn't good, so is my Nova Cat. And when my team actually can fight with the enemy long enough, i can deal up to 1183 damage (personal record Posted Image) and help them win the match.

At least this is how i feel this mech now, it have something common with Awesome, except AWS-9M can run up to 80 KPH and shoot 3 ERPPCs infinetely with extreme fire rate. And for some reason i saw A LOT of NCT-PRIMEs in the recent games, and it turned out they can support each other fairly well.

Anyway, thank you all for the help, very apreciated! I do understand that it is definately not even remotely most effective mech to play, but i just can't let myself drop PPCs or change it in other way, it's just too nostalgic for a MW4.

Edited by JumpingHunter, 12 July 2022 - 05:00 AM.

#6 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 02:11 PM

Hi Hunter -- i been playing here a long time, my first question is are you CLAN --- or INTERSPERE, if you SAY clan, let me help you to a START MECH.
You may want to try the most hated, the most hunted, the thing they say KILL that TIMBERWOLF, that is the 1 mech that can run anything you want, jack of all trades, and has JUMP JETS for turning, its great learning mech, and will force you to learn, i prefer LAZER VOMIT, but 3 LBX2 and 4 med lazers, will kill and scarce any one--- the fire in there eyes and then 4 med hit there TARGET WOOT .

SAWK CLANNER

#7 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:16 AM

If you meant Faction Play, then i am not playing it because i still far too inexperienced to play it, and i don't have a unit nor i want to have one, and if you asking if i generally a clanner or a sphere guy, then i have to say that it don't really know for now, both clan tech and inner sphere tech have benefits and drawbacks, so i don't know, honestly.

I had Timberwolf for a short time, i made him a full laser build with 2xERLL+5xERML+1xHLL with 2 JJ, it was rather good mech, but i sold it away recently to return my old NCT-PRIME to me, maybe will buy it back soon, when will have money. It was good, but i just wanted to pilot something that take a lot of skill to pilot, and considering that Nova Cat have such poor reputation in the community i decided to make it my main machine and learn how to pilot it well. But you are right, Timberwolf is a great mech, and really can run everything you need.

Edited by JumpingHunter, 13 July 2022 - 08:16 AM.

#8 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 12:46 PM

I actually think that the 5ERLL Nova Cat PRIME is an underrated mech.

Yes, the arms are low and wide, which is a real downside, but the quirks and pod space for so many ERLL is really strong. Just got to be very mindful of positioning and be a bit opportunistic.

#9 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:10 PM

hmm the timberwolf helps you learn jump jets, it is all about turning FAST, and helps with you learning MED and LIGHT mech tactics, ever had some one spin around you.
THAT can be you in few months, maybe weeks, high speed parainna with 10 machine guns, will RIP the back off just about every mech in the game and 4 secs. if got a friend get DISCORD and or TEAMSPEAK, keep learning.

SAWK PS i hunt lights on a timber, i use like 4 different builds, since i play solo : )

#10 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 01:31 AM

View PostGagis, on 13 July 2022 - 12:46 PM, said:

I actually think that the 5ERLL Nova Cat PRIME is an underrated mech.

Yes, the arms are low and wide, which is a real downside, but the quirks and pod space for so many ERLL is really strong. Just got to be very mindful of positioning and be a bit opportunistic.

True, that also works. ERLL just have big burn time, and PPCs are good for peeking and dealing instant damage, but lasers are generally more benefitial at the big range, so yeah, that will definately work well if will be piloted well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users