#1 Phototoxin

Rookie

• The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 July 2022 - 09:22 PM

Hello,
I picked this game up to play with some friends and hang out, but lately I've been itching to play this a bit more. Problem is I have a half dozen mechs and not sure what I should be using or what builds or if they're any good. I find that I'm not familiar enough with the maps or quick and zippy to react and pull off CQB stuff with shotguns etc. - mid to long range support is probably what I'm looking for. Any general help or advice would be appreciated.

I have:

Fafnir-5 with 2 gauss cannon + 2 lasers. Guardian ECM and an anti-missile system. This is my favorite to play although it is slow, its helpful to snipe and support from a distance.
A:820L1|jb|^<2p01|Q@|[<2q01|Q@|f?r41|=P|=P|F@s41|=P|=P|F@tD1|=P|AOuD1|=P|=PvB0|d<2wP0A0A0

Then 2 Heavy mechs, based on old mechwarrior 1 + 2 nostalgia:

Rifleman 8D, 2 AC-5s, lots of ammo and 2 ER lasers. Also AMS. Doesn't seem to do a lot of damage but pretty straightforward (AT2D<661|e<2p`0lD7|SR|SR|SRq`0jD7|EC|<C|XR|SR|1Sr]0iD7|mB|mBs]0mD7|gBth0nD7uh0oD7vB0hD7w>0;0;0

Timberwolf-C ultra AC-20, 2x ER L-Lasers, C-AMS and C-SRM6 and a targeting computer. I love the AC-20 but it seems to have so much going on it can be hard to know what is the right weapon to use (A9<820l0|f?|AO|BdpX0|AP|i^|[<2|AP|APqX0|AP|i^|[<2|AP|APrU0|S@|F@sU0|S@|F@tb0ub0vB0|d<2w<0<0<0)

Medium:
Hellspawn-7D (A9:820`0|^<2|HdpT0|[O|[O|c?qR0|3@rL0|c?sL0|c?|3@tuvB0w60:080)
2 LRM 10, 3 pulse lasers, guardian ECM. A friend recommended it as it is faster but supposedly punchy enough.

Light:
Urbanmech-R80(L) - don't actually remember why I got this one. Jump jets and a probe, snub PPC, and some lasers.
(A8=000F0|:b|PG|PGp@0|h^|h^|PG|Z<2|PGq@0|h^|h^|^<2|d?|PG|PGrD0|[?sD0|I@|=@tH0|h^|h^uH0|h^|h^vB0|h^w@08080)

Raven-3L - It seemed like a good light option to scout and paint for friendly LRM wagons. Couple of SRM6 and 2x medium lasers plus stealth. (AQ0;00P0|<d|Z<2pL0|?|h^|h^|kOqL0|^<2|f?|AO|O|O|[<2rH0|?sH0|Y?|Y?|h^tP0uP0vB0|h^w<04040)

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 09:40 PM

You can check out popular loadouts at https://grimmechs.is...im.org/Database

#3 Phototoxin

Rookie

• The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 July 2022 - 10:05 PM

View PostGagis, on 19 July 2022 - 09:40 PM, said:

Hi, thank you. I did have a look there before starting this but I can't seem to find anything older than June/May and none of them fit my specific chassis model :-(

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 10:39 PM

Greetings Phototoxin,

and welcome to the Forums!
Generally in building mechs, it is well advised to streamline builds for their intended role on the battlefield.
With a few exceptions, it is also advised to not have more that 2 main firing groups that can shoot your whole arsenal, plus eventually some for special situations, like left/right for vertical peaks or Arms only, for example.

As for the builds of your already owned mechs, https://grimmechs.is...im.org/Database, as pointed out by Gagis, is a good starting point to get an idea. Be aware though, that many of the builds there require some experience to work properly. Here are my suggestions to you:

FNR-5
Very straight forward midrange Dakka. Mind the heat.

RFL-8D
Mid-long Poptart. The 8D has two distinct features that set it apart from other Rifleman Chassis, RAC rampdown quirk and Jumpjets. Both are almost mutually exclusive, though.

TBR-C
Straight-forward Laservomit, very easy to play. Omnimech, so you can make it into very different combinations.

HSN-7D
mid-short brawl with ECM, uses the same Engine as the Raven suggestion, so swap to save funds

UM-R80(L)
shortrange poptart with ECM, very good geometry and tankiness

RVN-3L
dedicated support to use in conjunction with LRM support. Uses the same engine as the Hellspawn, so swap to save funds.

Please, feel free to ask if you'd like more info on details!

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 19 July 2022 - 10:41 PM.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 11:11 PM

View PostPhototoxin, on 19 July 2022 - 09:22 PM, said:

Hello,
I picked this game up to play with some friends and hang out, but lately I've been itching to play this a bit more. Problem is I have a half dozen mechs and not sure what I should be using or what builds or if they're any good. I find that I'm not familiar enough with the maps or quick and zippy to react and pull off CQB stuff with shotguns etc. - mid to long range support is probably what I'm looking for. Any general help or advice would be appreciated.

Greetings!

I have:

Fafnir-5 with 2 gauss cannon + 2 lasers. Guardian ECM and an anti-missile system. This is my favorite to play although it is slow, its helpful to snipe and support from a distance.
A:820L1|jb|^<2p01|Q@|[<2q01|Q@|f?r41|=P|=P|F@s41|=P|=P|F@tD1|=P|AOuD1|=P|=PvB0|d<2wP0A0A0

The computer says that "The build code is for Assassin ASN-101." So there is some problem. Perhaps you could re-export your 'Mech build?

It seems that your 'Mech is equipped with Command Console. CC is quite heavy for the benefits it provides.

Then 2 Heavy mechs, based on old mechwarrior 1 + 2 nostalgia:

Rifleman 8D, 2 AC-5s, lots of ammo and 2 ER lasers. Also AMS. Doesn't seem to do a lot of damage but pretty straightforward (AT2D<661|e<2p`0lD7|SR|SR|SRq`0jD7|EC|<C|XR|SR|1Sr]0iD7|mB|mBs]0mD7|gBth0nD7uh0oD7vB0hD7w>0;0;0

The build code for Rifleman above actually fits Timber Wolf C.

1) RACs are not the strongest weapon system in the game, but you can use them, if you wish.
2) Remove Command Console
3) I would place ammo in arms and legs with CASE, so the internal ammo explosion does not kill your 'Mech
4) Boost armor.

Timberwolf-C ultra AC-20, 2x ER L-Lasers, C-AMS and C-SRM6 and a targeting computer. I love the AC-20 but it seems to have so much going on it can be hard to know what is the right weapon to use (A9<820l0|f?|AO|BdpX0|AP|i^|[<2|AP|APqX0|AP|i^|[<2|AP|APrU0|S@|F@sU0|S@|F@tb0ub0vB0|d<2w<0<0<0)

The build code for Timber Wolf C above actually fits Rifleman.

This is not especially good build. A pair of ER Larges is not strong enough for ranged combat, and UAC-20 with just one SRM rack is not strong enough for brawling.

I suggest you try 2 Large pulses and 5 ER Mediums.

Medium:
Hellspawn-7D (A9:820`0|^<2|HdpT0|[O|[O|c?qR0|3@rL0|c?sL0|c?|3@tuvB0w60:080)
2 LRM 10, 3 pulse lasers, guardian ECM. A friend recommended it as it is faster but supposedly punchy enough.

1) Your 'Mech has no leg armor.
2) When running LRMs, using TAG and BAP is other helpful.
3) Using Ferro-fibrous armor will give you additional ton.

Light:
Urbanmech-R80(L) - don't actually remember why I got this one. Jump jets and a probe, snub PPC, and some lasers.
(A8=000F0|:b|PG|PGp@0|h^|h^|PG|Z<2|PGq@0|h^|h^|^<2|d?|PG|PGrD0|[?sD0|I@|=@tH0|h^|h^uH0|h^|h^vB0|h^w@08080)

It was the last year's loyalty reward.

I would use larger 180-rated XL engine, switch to double heat sinks and use second SnPPC instead of those small lasers.

You could also remove TAG and BAP and some jump jets.

Raven-3L - It seemed like a good light option to scout and paint for friendly LRM wagons. Couple of SRM6 and 2x medium lasers plus stealth. (AQ0;00P0|<d|Z<2pL0|?|h^|h^|kOqL0|^<2|f?|AO|O|O|[<2rH0|?sH0|Y?|Y?|h^tP0uP0vB0|h^w<04040)

Your 'Mech has no SRM rack, but it carries a half ton of SRM ammo.

It also has 4 equipment slots filled with items "AWS-8R" and "AWS-8V" Posted Image
So there is some problem. Perhaps you could re-export your 'Mech build?

Anyway, you should remove that BAP, upgrade to double heat sinks and maybe remove AMS.

AMS ammo is no longer explosive, so you do not need CASE there.

It would be a good idea to use "Code" tags when posting your build codes.

#6 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 11:50 PM

View PostPhototoxin, on 19 July 2022 - 10:05 PM, said:

Hi, thank you. I did have a look there before starting this but I can't seem to find anything older than June/May and none of them fit my specific chassis model :-(

You can write your mech type into the filter field and get a more spesific selection from the database.

#7 Phototoxin

Rookie

• The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 20 July 2022 - 03:57 AM

Thank you very much for the advice and help. I will look into tweaking my mechs and revisiting the website and filtering through for builds.

#8 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:32 AM

Undergunned for an Assault tbh. You could try 4xLB10X, 2xHgauss+Lasers, 4xUAC5, 2xUAC5+2xUAC10. Some players use 4xLGauss, but those builds substantially lack the stopping power to destroy their opponents quickly.

Rifleman 8D, 2 AC-5s, lots of ammo and 2 ER lasers. Also AMS. Doesn't seem to do a lot of damage but pretty straightforward
CASE is useless on this build, as it only stops damage transfer, not destruction of the ammo-bearing location - which in this case would result in an XL death. Ammo should be going into head, then legs, then torsos as your torsos are what's going to be taking most of the damage. Don't strip armor from torsos like this and frontload your armor more - your back should have 3-5 points per location on most mechs, maybe up to 10 on biggest assaults.
TBH my go-to build for most ballistic Riflemen is 2xUAC10+LFE250.

Timberwolf-C ultra AC-20, 2x ER L-Lasers, C-AMS and C-SRM6 and a targeting computer. I love the AC-20 but it seems to have so much going on it can be hard to know what is the right weapon to use
That's what we call a "bracket build" (or sometimes "kitchen sink") and it's not a term of endearment.
As you've probably realized, your build is too undergunned to either trade or brawl against anything but a lower-range medium mech.
The best thing you can do in MWO is specialize in one engagement range and focus on operating within that range.
Remember that you're not stuck with the stock hardpoints - as the TBR is an omnimech, it can swap arms, legs, heads and side torsos between different variants of the chassis. This lets you give it different quirks and hardpoints.

Pick either AC20(or UAC20, or LB20X)+4xSRM6, ER laservomit or Pulsevomit and build around that.

Hellspawn-7D

Bracket build and honestly kind of undergunned. Try 4xMPL+2xASRM6 or 4xML+MRM40 for something punchier.

Kitchen sink again. Your probe and TAG are useless for this mech, and LRM spotters are not a good idea in random quick play - not only you have no guarantee that your team will have any LRM boats, you have even less that those LRM boats will be able to cooperate with you and utilize your spotting (seriously, LRMs attract some of the worst players in the game). Where spotters can shine is in group drops where you have a known team composition and people you know can trust to work with you.
Stuff 5xMPL on it. Try these on for size:
https://mwo.nav-alph...a0b2bfd_UM-R80L - 3xJJ, 11 DHS
https://mwo.nav-alph...b34ffac_UM-R80L - 1xJJ, 12 DHS
https://mwo.nav-alph...b3c06cb_UM-R80L - 2xJJ, 10 DHS, Stealth Armor, TComp

Raven-3L - It seemed like a good light option to scout and paint for friendly LRM wagons. Couple of SRM6 and 2x medium lasers plus stealth.
Try 3xERLL and ECM, that has seen a lot of use as a light sniper (and I believe might even be one of the trial mech configurations).

#9 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:40 PM

EDIT: changed the linked site to MrVaad's updated config tool

Hello,

By all means start with midrange support, but don't give up on close-ranged combat. The thing about MWO is that it's a lot less twitchy than other games in its genre - which is why one early review called it "a thinking man's shooter." However, CryEngine's optimization sucks, and from what I understand the devs were unable to pry a lot of support from CryEngine for this issue. My best friend and I started MWO together, and unbeknownst to me, he bought a bargain-basement PC with an integrated graphics card. I finally figured out why he could only hit things at long range when I spectated him in close combat and noticed that he was flailing around like a drunken rhinoceros trying to swat flies.

So, take a look at your settings, turn on and watch your FPS, and check the Guides section of these New Player Help forums - MrVaad's Amazing Optimization Tweaks is a great place to start.

Edited by Void Angel, 08 August 2022 - 08:36 AM.

#10 Frendly Pythagorean Natteri Tato

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 01:30 PM

View PostGagis, on 19 July 2022 - 09:40 PM, said:

Good advice.

#11 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 October 2022 - 05:54 PM

greetings and welcome.

as for mechs you got a decent selection there. for build you say you want mid to long range so things like LLs, MRMs, AC/LBX 10s and that sort of thing are good to build around. i wont be telling what builds you should and should not use because i find the meta ******** boring. as others have said try for 2 weapon groups and keep an eye on the heat management stat when putting something together. MLs make great backup weapons in combination with something like LRM that have a min range. i would also avoid IS XL engines until you get good ad spreading damage as simply losing a side torso means death.

you have two mechs that i can give suggested builds for. (as i don't own or don't use in the case of clan mechs, any of the others that you use)

first lets go with the Urbi i only have the standard variant not the loyalty one but the hardpoints are the same if i remember right.

UM-R80 (3 L-PPC, 2 ER-SL, running an LE-170 with 5 DHS, ECM, Endo, LFF, and 1 JJ)
its a pretty simple build without sacrificing hardly any armor. if you still want the TAG you can strip the SLs out for it or for more JJ (that 1 ton isn't enough for a bigger engine)

Hellspawn-7D (4 MLs, 1 MRM-40 (2t ammo) running an LE-220, 3 DHS, ECM, Endo, and LFF)
this is a rather standard build if you find you need more ammo you can always lower it down to an MRM-30 and use that for ammo, an AMS, or a bigger engine (perhaps even a bigger engine and some ammo)

if you want a medium mech for LRM might i suggest picking up a Dervish-6MR it has some very nice quirks for it and room for 2 LRM-15. i run mine as follows...

DV-6MR (2 LRM-15 (6 1/2t ammo), 4 ER-SLs, 1 L-AMS running an LE-265, Endo, and LFF)
quick enough for fast repositioning with plenty of ammo, if you don't want the AMS you can swap it out for an Engine upgrade and 2 more ER-SLs if you want. if you cut the AMS and half a ton of ammo you can upgrade those LRMs to Artemis but i find it just isn't worth the tonnage since the nerfed the **** out of it a few years ago. (some people don't like backup weapons on LRM boats but i do. it gives you something to add to your firepower when approaching min range and when something runs under. an LRM boat should always stay with the group but having something to contribute when things get messy is a good thing besides thats and extra 15dmg for just 2 tons).

keep in mind these are just suggestions, all in all just play what you like and have fun, learning the maps and how best to take advantage of them comes with time (well that and a team that isn't completely stupid)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 12 October 2022 - 05:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users