84 replies to this topic

#21 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 07:02 AM

View PostEscef, on 23 July 2022 - 06:21 PM, said:

The war is disrupting food supplies on three continents, Ukraine is a major grain exporter. It's not Ukraine itself that is the major concern, it's all the areas that are being affected; it's cascading into areas where the nation has major interests. As for US involvement, we're providing arms, intel support, money, and sanctioning Russia. No boots on the ground, no gear with our flag or IFF broadcasting from it. And Putin has painted himself into a corner on this one, the Russian people have been told fish stories, and if Putin doesn't deliver he looks weak. Russians are damned paranoid about perceived weakness, their political and social climate is not friendly to non-hierarchical structures. And the Ukrainians are fighting tooth and nail, Russian losses have been obscenely high; not good for a war where you told your people that you'd roll over the opposition and be welcomed.

Anyway, this forum isn't exactly the right place for politics. The topic has already been covered about as well as the venue requires. For those that wish more info, there's always Google. I'd suggest sticking to respected news sources, places like the BBC or NPR. I've found the BBC is useful for getting a non-American perspective, and NPR tends to dig deeper and beat around the bush less than major networks (CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.). I've heard that Al-Jazeera is also good for getting non-American perspectives as well, but I'll admit to not following them in any significant way, so I can't particularly vouch for them.

that post was more about the greed of elected officials than the war in general. i dont have enough information about who is in the right or the wrong in the ukraine conflict. only the official party line of those currently in power and the media (which they control). but define redistribution of wealth: spend tax dollars on the military industrial complex to manufacture weapons, and on ukraine itself (there is also money in non-military support, shipping contracts, private security for the shippers, etc). meanwhile the stock in the military industrial complex, owned by most of congress (both sides) and others in positions of wealth and power, is getting fat. usa does not have a grain shortage (mismanagement is the problem), nor an oil shortage for that matter. so there is no real reason to get involved. even then these people would take us into this war if there wasn't a big nuclear threat in doing so (getting nuked is bad for business), just to turn a buck.

#22 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 07:18 AM

Not everything that happens in the world is driven by domestic american politics. People in other countries have agency too.

I for one live in a country that has 1300 kilometres of border with Russia and greatly appreciate Ukrainians and everyone who is arming them.

Every Russian tank destroyed in Ukraine is one that will not roll down my home street in a couple of years, every Russian aircraft destroyed is one that will never bomb my home and every Russian soldier killed is one that will never **** my family. Be proud of every weapon that makes that happen.

Not only that, I quite enjoy the rules based world order where empires don't just get away with expanding into other peoples' lands. Resisting the restoration of a colonial empire that has murdered and enslaved neighbouring people for centuries non-stop is pretty much the most black and white geopolitical dilemma since 1939.

Edited by Gagis, 24 July 2022 - 07:18 AM.

#23 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 07:18 AM

Usually when one country invades another country, it's the first country's fault

Many countries go whole years without invading anybody! it's not that hard

#24 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 07:35 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 23 July 2022 - 04:36 PM, said:

you're right on all accounts.
still, this is a game. many of us come here to 'escape' reality a bit. to have fun. not to discuss.
not to be greeted by ***** who like to troll others with a Z, or a SS, or something else rather tasteless.

it's not hard to keep THAT outside of games, and bring it to discussions with friends, coworkers, townhalls etc.

That is the kind of sensitivity that got us into these messes.

#25 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:30 AM

People can customize their rides anyway they want. I'm not bothered by it.

#26 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:53 AM

IBTL.

#27 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:47 AM

all these clueless people in this thread that have no idea what happened in 2014

#28 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 July 2022 - 10:05 AM

Z on a mech. I put lrm boat on mine. War. War never changes. Wait wrong game.

#29 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 11:03 AM

View PostGagis, on 24 July 2022 - 06:47 AM, said:

These are likely people currently funding a genocidal war to restore imperial dominance over independent nations.

Absolutely no hard feelings if people happen to make flagrant fascists a priority target in online games.

Phew, I guess I'm lucky there aren't a whole lot of Iraqis, Afghanis, Libyans, Syrians, Yemenis, Vietnamese, Japanese, and whoever we bombed in Kosovo in the 90's playing this game because I put USA in Red, White, and Blue on a lot of my mechs.

Edited by Heavy Money, 24 July 2022 - 11:04 AM.

#30 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 11:34 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 24 July 2022 - 11:03 AM, said:

Phew, I guess I'm lucky there aren't a whole lot of Iraqis, Afghanis, Libyans, Syrians, Yemenis, Vietnamese, Japanese, and whoever we bombed in Kosovo in the 90's playing this game because I put USA in Red, White, and Blue on a lot of my mechs.

that was also very bad

#31 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 July 2022 - 11:42 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 24 July 2022 - 11:34 AM, said:

that was also very bad

And all the more reason to rock a House or Clan heraldry design in game. Being against the Legion of Vega or the Ghost Bears is a lot more fun.

#32 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:35 PM

Due to the political content, this thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions.

#33 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:45 PM

If you ban Z you might have a problem with alphabet?

#34 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 02:02 PM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 24 July 2022 - 01:45 PM, said:

If you ban Z you might have a problem with alphabet?

I don't think anyone really wants to ban it, but also this is an extremely smug and disingenuous thing to say

#35 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 July 2022 - 03:06 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 July 2022 - 07:02 AM, said:

so there is no real reason to get involved.

That would be like me saying there's no reason for me to do anything if a fire breaks out in either of the first floor apartments in my building. It's going to affect me if left unchecked, I'm going to need to evacuate the building. For that matter, even if it gets put out I still have to worry about smoke inhalation.

This is what we like to call an analogy. (If that sounds condescending, I apologize. I've encountered people that don't get, or refuse to get, analogies.) Disruption in Ukraine means disruption in other places. Some of those other places we have interests in, or interests adjacent to. Keeping the peace and avoiding disruption is good for our national interests (both in a sense of national security and economics). Isolationism is a losing policy, man. It doesn't work, not in the modern world. You obviously don't like that idea, and I can't say I blame you. However, the growing interdependence of nations is, from my viewpoint, more good than bad.

It's this lovely concept called enlightened self-interest. Even if you don't believe in doing good for others for it's own sake, you should still probably do good for others because it will most likely benefit you in the long term.

#36 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:54 PM

we are only really obliged to help defend nato members. last time we were in a situation like this was in the '80s. we were supporting afghanistan in their war against russia. we sent them weapons, and when the war ended we got out of there. needless to say within 2 decades they were throwing airplanes at our buildings. then in both korea and vietnam we started sending weapons and advisors, and pretty soon we were fighting their wars for them. the former "ended" in a stalemate and the latter was a total loss. us foreign intervention has not had much success since the world wars.

View PostGagis, on 24 July 2022 - 07:18 AM, said:

Not everything that happens in the world is driven by domestic american politics. People in other countries have agency too.

its just that us political leaders like to play the world police. put themselves into conflicts they have no business being involved in. especially if there is a buck to be made, i bet every time a ukraine support bill passed in congress, they all got on their phones to buy the appropriate stocks.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 July 2022 - 05:57 PM.

#37 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 July 2022 - 02:11 AM

i say if someone wants to put a Z on their mech its not my say, is it insensitive, crass, and shows what kind of person they are? well of course yes it does but its a game so no real harm. will it make me target them over another mech of equal threat? well of course. actions do have consequences.

as for me personally i just rock the FRR logo on all my mechs. FRR for life, Never Forget, and Death to the Clans.Posted Image

(ok i do have the Uziel they gave out in the Ukraine support event some time back done up in the colors of their flag but i just thought it was fitting for an event reward for such an event)

as for all the rest, well this forum has enough aguments and salt going on so i am going to stay out of political arguments, well unless we are talking Battletech universe politics then i am all for it.Posted Image

#38 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 July 2022 - 03:33 AM

If it makes you feel better OP, my 414 average matchscore Sabre has two Ukrainian flags painted on it.

#39 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 25 July 2022 - 06:46 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 July 2022 - 03:33 AM, said:

If it makes you feel better OP, my 414 average matchscore Sabre has two Ukrainian flags painted on it.

Yup, this is not the first time I’ve bought a cockpit item in support of something, and I did repaint a few mechs blue and yellow.

But more important than that is supporting refugee programs. Because no matter your politics, people fleeing violence deserve to be fed and sheltered.

#40 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2022 - 10:24 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 24 July 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

Being against the Legion of Vega [...] is a lot more fun.

My R7 5700G likes to have a word with you..else, you are absolutely right.

View Postpattonesque, on 24 July 2022 - 02:02 PM, said:

I don't think anyone really wants to ban it, but also this is an extremely smug and disingenuous thing to say

Well, here in Germany there are beer labels that dropped the letter Z, some demanded it (vocal minorities, but still). Then again, this is Germany and its mental population and more mental media. Writing that being German myself, mind you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users