Jump to content

Z Painted Mechs


84 replies to this topic

#41 latinisator

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 551 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2022 - 10:27 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 July 2022 - 05:54 PM, said:

we are only really obliged to help defend nato members. last time we were in a situation like this was in the '80s. we were supporting afghanistan in their war against russia. we sent them weapons, and when the war ended we got out of there. needless to say within 2 decades they were throwing airplanes at our buildings.

Well, the US were doing way more than just delivering weaponry.

#42 lazorbeamz

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 01:21 PM

View Postlatinisator, on 25 July 2022 - 10:24 AM, said:

My R7 5700G likes to have a word with you..else, you are absolutely right.


Well, here in Germany there are beer labels that dropped the letter Z, some demanded it (vocal minorities, but still). Then again, this is Germany and its mental population and more mental media. Writing that being German myself, mind you.

What do they use instead of Z?

#43 Anjian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 10:34 PM

Long long before this, Russian and Ukrainian players were taking each other out, often in the same team with deliberate friendly fire, in War Thunder. Then the company decided to remove all flags from the game.

#44 latinisator

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 551 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:02 AM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 25 July 2022 - 01:21 PM, said:

What do they use instead of Z?

Trigger warning - you are about to see some "Z", even large and red ones (you couldn't possibly make that up)
https://www.sueddeut...20413-99-907857

They changed / are about to change the label. The information is from April (not the first, mind you).

"Der Buchstabe "Z" hat durch den Angriffskrieg Russlands auf die Ukraine eine neue Bedeutung bekommen und wird seit Beginn der Kampfhandlungen als Symbol von der russischen Armee und deren Unterstützern verwendet", erklärte die Brauerei am Mittwoch.

Translation: "The letter "Z" received a new meaning after the Russian invasion of Ukraine and is being used since the beginning of the combat as a symbol by the Russian army and their supporters", the brewery declared on Wednesday.

You are only a good human being, if you are hyped by what our media wants you to be hyped about. Being German, you anticipate the hype and do it even before the media hits...

#45 Gagis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:49 AM

Germans could actually help by restarting nuclear power plants, expanding sanctions to coal, oil and gas and sending more weapons to Ukraine.

Edited by Gagis, 26 July 2022 - 11:49 AM.


#46 latinisator

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 551 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 July 2022 - 08:45 PM

View PostGagis, on 26 July 2022 - 11:49 AM, said:

Germans could actually help by restarting nuclear power plants, expanding sanctions to coal, oil and gas and sending more weapons to Ukraine.

Not commenting on weapons delivery. Nuclear power however is a huge problem (thanks to Merkel and the green party). We could have by now almost clean nuclear power technology (read as prototypes). But the German government (Merkel) just did not want to and refused to pump money into RnD (the tech already won an award, but the committee changed rules to rule that one out - anticipated German obedience). Hence the German developers sold their idea to a Canadian company: the dual fluid reactor.
https://en.wikipedia...l_fluid_reactor

#47 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 08:34 AM

most of the western world has few or no 3rd gen reactors. there are many in asia, and russia though, i think canada has a couple. american nuclear power has stuck with older 2nd gen reactors and never bothered to build newer ones. hippies protested it to death in the '70s. if nuclear reactors were aircraft, we would still be using biplanes.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 July 2022 - 08:34 AM.


#48 ScrapIron Prime

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,173 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 29 July 2022 - 12:16 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 July 2022 - 08:34 AM, said:

most of the western world has few or no 3rd gen reactors. there are many in asia, and russia though, i think canada has a couple. american nuclear power has stuck with older 2nd gen reactors and never bothered to build newer ones. hippies protested it to death in the '70s. if nuclear reactors were aircraft, we would still be using biplanes.


It wasn't the hippies that killed it, it was the reaction to 3 Mile Island. And Chernobyl was the nail in the coffin.

My Dad was a senior engineer at Babcock and Wilcox back then, they were building the reactors... right up until 3 Mile Island, then all orders stopped dead. Done. he finished out his career in the Dept of Energy after Babcock laid everyone off.

Since then, civilians have had an irrational fear of nuclear power generation, much to the detriment of the planet.

#49 Gagis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 12:50 PM

Finland is getting a 1600MW reactor coming online in a few months.

**** yeah, energy security.

Edited by Gagis, 29 July 2022 - 12:50 PM.


#50 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 04:50 PM

View PostGagis, on 29 July 2022 - 12:50 PM, said:

Finland is getting a 1600MW reactor coming online in a few months.

**** yeah, energy security.


i hope they didnt put it anywhere near the russian border.

#51 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 04:55 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 29 July 2022 - 12:16 PM, said:

It wasn't the hippies that killed it, it was the reaction to 3 Mile Island. And Chernobyl was the nail in the coffin.

My Dad was a senior engineer at Babcock and Wilcox back then, they were building the reactors... right up until 3 Mile Island, then all orders stopped dead. Done. he finished out his career in the Dept of Energy after Babcock laid everyone off.

Since then, civilians have had an irrational fear of nuclear power generation, much to the detriment of the planet.


im sure the hippies didnt help with their fear mongering. new technologies have growing pains and 3 mile island is one of them. sort of like how every air disaster improves the safety of aircraft. every nuclear disaster teaches something about safety as well.

3 mile island taught us that nuclear is serious business.
chernobyl taught us that containment domes should be mandatory (and that you don't let soviets near the thing).
fukashima taught us not to build nuclear reactors in a tsunami zone.

#52 ScrapIron Prime

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,173 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 30 July 2022 - 09:34 PM

Fukushima would have been fine right where it was if all the backup generators weren’t in the f-ing basement. That’s literally what happened, design fail. If half the backup power was on the roof instead of underwater, the pumps would have stayed on.

#53 Anjian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 11:35 PM

View PostGagis, on 29 July 2022 - 12:50 PM, said:

Finland is getting a 1600MW reactor coming online in a few months.

**** yeah, energy security.


This one is grossly overbudget and years delayed.

Another nuclear reactor was being built by a Russian company, and the contract has been cancelled.

https://www.ft.com/c...55-f67d6fb80d77

Edited by Anjian, 31 July 2022 - 11:42 PM.


#54 Gagis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 11:42 PM

View PostAnjian, on 31 July 2022 - 11:35 PM, said:


A nuclear reactor was being built by a Russian company, and the contract has been cancelled.

https://www.ft.com/c...55-f67d6fb80d77

That was an upcoming one that would have just had foundations laid and would have taken YEARS and YEARS to build.

Olkiluoto 3 is completely built and coming online next month.

Edited by Gagis, 31 July 2022 - 11:43 PM.


#55 Anjian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 11:50 PM

View PostGagis, on 26 July 2022 - 11:49 AM, said:

Germans could actually help by restarting nuclear power plants, expanding sanctions to coal, oil and gas and sending more weapons to Ukraine.


Given that Uzbekistan, Russia, China, ***** are four of the biggest sources of Uranium in the planet, I would say not help.

Ukraine is another source of Uranium but the plant is now at risk.

#56 Gagis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 11:59 PM

Australia and Canada produce very large quantities of uranium and Finland has some untapped reserves too.

The cost of uranium is a very VERY small portion of the cost of nuclear power, so the energy be cheap even if the market price rises a lot. Also helps with removing oil, coal and gas power. Russia already cut off our gas, but it caused basically no problems at all, since we knew not to be dependent on them.

#57 Brother MEX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 405 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:48 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 23 July 2022 - 04:22 PM, said:

...now, if somebody were to go, poke the beehive and compare the Z to a 3rdreich-germany-SS-rune.. is that also just pixels on a monitor and no tragedy? ...
Actually I asume a lot of trolls are using the Z instead of the Swastika ;-P
And If the Z is forbidden in their country, like the Swastika, they can always use a N and turn it 90 degrees ROFL

Edited by Brother MEX, 01 August 2022 - 08:52 AM.


#58 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:15 AM

the z is not a swastika. its just uncle boris' state of the art identify friend or foe system.

a can of white spray paint is cheap.
it can be applied by the lowest ranking conscript in less than a minute.
its a character not in the russian alphabet and wont be confused for other markings on a vehicle.
its easy to see in most lighting conditions.
its effective.
its also essential because you are fighting an enemy who uses much of the same equipment.

apparently it has phycological warfare uses as well, but i think that was unintentional. people just think any symbol used by a group that they don't like is automatically evil and now they are going nuts over it. if you were on the other side of the war on terror for example, you probibly saw the stars and stripes in the same way. ukrainians see a z and they go, hand me the rocket launcher. for them its a bullseye.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 August 2022 - 09:19 AM.


#59 Anjian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:55 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 01 August 2022 - 09:15 AM, said:

the z is not a swastika. its just uncle boris' state of the art identify friend or foe system.

a can of white spray paint is cheap.
it can be applied by the lowest ranking conscript in less than a minute.
its a character not in the russian alphabet and wont be confused for other markings on a vehicle.
its easy to see in most lighting conditions.
its effective.
its also essential because you are fighting an enemy who uses much of the same equipment.

apparently it has phycological warfare uses as well, but i think that was unintentional. people just think any symbol used by a group that they don't like is automatically evil and now they are going nuts over it. if you were on the other side of the war on terror for example, you probibly saw the stars and stripes in the same way. ukrainians see a z and they go, hand me the rocket launcher. for them its a bullseye.



There are not just 'Z' but also 'O' and 'V' markings. They represent different military groups the Russians are using. Newest ones are A and X.

#60 Gagis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 10:02 PM

It started as a military marker but as the war turned out to not be a cakewalk, Kremlin scrambled to build internal propaganda and started using Z as their symbol for imperialist politics and nationalist frenzy. They used what they had in reach to build a fascist iconography. Often combined with the ribbon of St. George that is associated with memory of WW2.





2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users