Pardoe Sacked By Catalyst?!

47 replies to this topic

#1 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:36 AM

Looks like catalyst went full stupid and fired Blaine Lee Pardoe, read his books for decades alongside Michael Stackpole - this is absurd.

and Pardoe's actual post on twitter about it

https://twitter.com/...%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:49 AM

Pardoe was well known for getting in very public fights with members of the community. It got bad enough that he was a liability. Topps told Catalyst to handle it. Catalyst decided that the best solution was to let him go. Pardoe claims he offered to write under a pseudonym, but apparently Catalyst decided that his non-existent history of knowing when to keep his trap shut wouldn't let that work. They dropped him.

If you check out his own announcement about it, some of his supporters are subtly suggesting violence as an answer. Some not so subtly. The guy and his fanbase are liabilities. https://amgreatness....atened-my-life/

#3 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:58 AM

I personally don't condone violence , this is more a speak with your wallet and angry email type of situation IMO but they chose between a author with a chip on his shoulder or a lunatic they chose the later.

#4 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:07 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 31 July 2022 - 06:58 AM, said:

I personally don't condone violence , this is more a speak with your wallet and angry email type of situation IMO but they chose between a author with a chip on his shoulder or a lunatic they chose the later.

It's unfortunate that I'm the one to tell you this, but there were a hell of a lot more people than just one that had a problem with Pardoe. From what I've heard recently, even in the Battletech Reddit community he was often a target of derision for his inability to let a slight pass without going off on a rant. I've made it known to CGL and Topps that I had no intention of buying anything the man wrote due to his support of the failed 6 JAN 2021 insurrection.

I will say that Pardoe does give me hope. That a man of such questionable competence managed to become a NYT bestselling author tells me that if I just knuckle down and finish writing a book I should be able to achieve at least as much.

#5 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:15 AM

What a joke the world has become..

#6 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:23 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 31 July 2022 - 07:15 AM, said:

Clowns, clowns everywhere! And not a laugh to be heard.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:32 AM

When your employer tells you that you’re not conducting yourself in a professional manner and then you don’t resolve the issue, its not called cancel culture, it’s called getting fired. This has been a thing since forever.

#8 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:43 AM

If you work at a mcdonalds and start peeing in the ball pit, expect to be fired. You are being held accountable for your actions.

Buddy is getting held accountable for his actions. He spread's some pretty rancid stuff online and pretty much breathes hatred. He's being held accountable now.

View PostNomad Tech, on 31 July 2022 - 07:15 AM, said:

If you honestly think that's a problem, then it just means you've never been held accountable for yours.

Accountability is the magic word.

Edited by pbiggz, 31 July 2022 - 07:45 AM.

#9 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:17 AM

Good thing I bought a 3D printer recently. Catalyst throwing under the bus a man who contributed MUCH to this IP just to appease a Marxist thug and convicted felon like Faith McCloskey is inexcusable and unacceptable. If they choose to continue to lock step with these divisive hypocrites who only value this IP for how much of their political agenda they can stuff into it, then I won't be supporting them until they choose to self-correct.

#10 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:27 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 31 July 2022 - 08:17 AM, said:

Good thing I bought a 3D printer recently. Catalyst throwing under the bus a man who contributed MUCH to this IP just to appease a Marxist thug and convicted felon like Faith McCloskey is inexcusable and unacceptable. If they choose to continue to lock step with these divisive hypocrites who only value this IP for how much of their political agenda they can stuff into it, then I won't be supporting them until they choose to self-correct.

I personally complained to Topps and Catalyst about Pardoe due to his support of the 6 JAN 2021 insurrection. I highly doubt I was the only one. If you think Pardoe got sacked over one person's complaints than you are crazier than I am. And for every dollar you refuse to use to support Battletech, I'm spending 3... For that matter, I most likely already have.

#11 Drunken Firebat

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:43 PM

I don't think you've thought this through.

#12 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:06 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 31 July 2022 - 08:17 AM, said:

The shrill screaming from you & others determined to make yourself out as victims is not a charming look. I'll leave it at that.

#13 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:31 PM

everyone,
please do not engage in personal attacks or moderation actions will be taken.

#14 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:50 PM

Here's an interview with the man himself.

BLAINE L. PARDOE Discusses Battletech Firing - RazörForce Offensive - YouTube

Edited by feeWAIVER, 31 July 2022 - 09:53 PM.

#15 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 10:59 AM

Holy ****, I meant to read the MW:O forums and accidentally clicked a men's rights/incel webpage. Holy ****, this whole "***** about people bringing politics into sports/games/etc" movement is getting old. It always leads to claiming cancel culture and throwing around terms like soy, alpha, etc and then ends in BRINGING ******* POLITICS INTO GAMES?SPORTS?ETC. People get fired. It happens more now because some people can't keep their mouths shut on social media. That's not the fired person being victimized. That's the consequences of not being able to shut up. If you walk into work and yell stupid, inflammatory ********, you're gonna get canned. Same happens when you do it on social media. Maybe practice the discipline of not typing every errant thought that wanders through your brains and know your audience. You can say whatever dumb **** to people who agree with you. But online, your audience is anyone who can access twitter or whatever platform your using.

#16 Drunken Firebat

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 01:20 PM

View Postccrider, on 01 August 2022 - 10:59 AM, said:

Holy ****, I meant to read the MW:O forums and accidentally clicked a men's rights/incel webpage. Holy ****, this whole "***** about people bringing politics into sports/games/etc" movement is getting old. It always leads to claiming cancel culture and throwing around terms like soy, alpha, etc and then ends in BRINGING ******* POLITICS INTO GAMES?SPORTS?ETC. People get fired. It happens more now because some people can't keep their mouths shut on social media. That's not the fired person being victimized. That's the consequences of not being able to shut up. If you walk into work and yell stupid, inflammatory ********, you're gonna get canned. Same happens when you do it on social media. Maybe practice the discipline of not typing every errant thought that wanders through your brains and know your audience. You can say whatever dumb **** to people who agree with you. But online, your audience is anyone who can access twitter or whatever platform your using.

Better hope you never say anything objectionable, ever.

Oh, and what gets defined as 'objectionable' is mutable, and often in the eye of the reader.

#17 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:27 PM

View Postccrider, on 01 August 2022 - 10:59 AM, said:

Holy ****, I meant to read the MW:O forums and accidentally clicked a men's rights/incel webpage.

I can't lie, that's funny.

#18 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 August 2022 - 03:59 PM

View PostDrunken Firebat, on 01 August 2022 - 01:20 PM, said:

Better hope you never say anything objectionable, ever.

Oh, and what gets defined as 'objectionable' is mutable, and often in the eye of the reader.

No, the takeaway is "don't become a liability to your employer." This is nothing new, you're just BLAMING it on something new.

#19 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:41 PM

Honestly listening to his interview, it sounds like he got harassed by a crazy person, and corporate let him go.

I think it was a bad move for the Catalyst, especially judging by the viewership his interview got.
I believe this will ultimately depress sales for the company.

#20 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:35 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 01 August 2022 - 09:41 PM, said:

Honestly listening to his interview, it sounds like he got harassed by a crazy person, and corporate let him go.

I think it was a bad move for the Catalyst, especially judging by the viewership his interview got.
I believe this will ultimately depress sales for the company.

Whether or not Catalyst made a mistake, the fact that he mentioned conservative, right-wing, leftie, woke etc. so many times in his interview tells me that he was unable to leave his politics out of his work life. I personally don't care what his political leanings are but a fair number of people have managed to make their political leanings their entire personality and everyone, especially at his age, was taught that politics, religion and sports were not places to go at work. Those topics create the most divisive arguments, so you just leave it at home. If you wanna go out in your private time and endorse a candidate with a vague "I think they'd be best for the country moving forward", people might disagree but it's not gonna really offend too many people. If you keep saying things where it seems like your dividing customers by their political leanings and valuing one side more than the other, your alienating people and costing your employer money. Catalyst is a company; they don't give two shits out left-wing or right-wing customers. They just want people to buy their stuff, regardless of how they vote in elections. That was his mistake; it would be a mistake for me if I did that at work and I'd probably suffer the same fate. Although I don't post my politics anywhere so I mitigate that risk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users