Flamers - A Poll.

3 replies to this topic

Poll: Flamers - A Poll. (1 member(s) have cast votes)

More...

1. Damage (0.7 at most, as it was originally)(better against mg matchups) (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Max Range (no more than 150m) (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Tonnage Change (0.5 IS, 0.25 Clan) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Flamer HSL for fatter mechs. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Something else...Leave comment. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Other...Leave comment. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:36 PM

Please as many as possible vote, so I can see the overall opinion.

So, in short, Pirahna was used as basis in the decision to add heat penalty of 4 flamers from what I have read. The issue is the nerf was based off a situation that is relatively rare in quick play, as many mechs carry other less heat producing weapons like mg or gauss, thus flamers are mostly useless except against a favorable matchup, i.e. a foe with medium or large lasers.

Note: In an actual battle, I fired a large pulse laser while being hit by a flamer, and it didn't send me over the limit. Most know 90% is the limit, so it never overheats a mech, so using them relies on the lack of skill of the foe and mech build, which becomes rarer with time.

I can't name a player who hasn't made the decision to trade flamers for small lasers. They underperform for the tonnage used, especially on IS side.

As someone who has tried a combo of mech and weapons, there are so few mechs suitable for flamers, even the ones with the flamer range quirks don't cut it, and I end up using them for something else.

My two flamer mechs that have actually managed to make or break a match consistently, though they aren't heading up in tier.

Firestarter-A: 8 flamers with 126m range thanks to quirks, with maxed out engine and beagle probe. If team stays together fairly well, it will make the dominos fall as each mech is overheated, then a team member can take them out for you, while keeping them seeable due to the Active Probe. Split into two 4 flamer weapon groups and activated in sequence. 2 cool shots.

Stormcrow-Prime: 12 Flamers that are split into 2 weapon groups, doing much what the firestarter does and keep them seeable with the active probe. However, I have an large pulse laser to fire should the flamer heat get too high. Not too damaging but intimidating. 2 cool shots.

Edited by SockSlayer, 03 August 2022 - 03:01 PM.

#2 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:14 AM

Bumped...Pls vote.

#3 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:33 PM

the only thing that bothers me about flamers if that they are connected in that weird way, like you fire one flammer and whatever other flammer you have equipped will be hit by cooldown process even though it isn't being used. I hope that was clear not sure how else to explain it.

#4 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, even if 1 or 12 are being used they are connected to that cooldown, but, by spliting weapon groups and starting them up in sequence, you avoid the higher heat penalty, normally 12 at once is instant overheat, vs 6 wait a second then another 6 will not do that even though 12 are firing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users