8 Vs 8 Or Possibly 6 Vs 6 Fw During Low Population Hours?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff on a Buffalo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:33 AM

Looking through a bit of the FW war-history, I notice that there is an 8 hour window where there are normally no FW matches occurring (or sometimes two to three matches occurs). I believe that is the time-slot for the Oceanic and just before European prime time. It might be advantageous for that 8 hour FW window to have the group size for a match decreased to either 8 vs 8 or possibly even 6 vs 6. I throw this here for the FW regulars that play during that timezone to chime in on if they would be interested in that. I assume this has been brought up before though, and this might not be technically feasible for PGI to implement (but maybe it can be considering what they learned in the implementation of the event que). Of course, cost benefit wise, making a change like this to support such a tiny portion of the MWO population that cannot support a 12 vs 12 match-up might not be the most worthwhile use of their time.
Cheers!
Edit: As was pointed out below, if the Siege FW match is decreased to a 8 vs 8 or a 6 vs 6, a decrease in the HP of the turrets and generators would be beneficial (thanks Nightbird).

Edited by Jeff on a Buffalo, 10 August 2022 - 10:25 AM.

#2 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 10:22 AM

To be honest, I think 8v8 would be fantastic. Kick off more matches; easier to form a group and the maps suddenly become more dynamic because of the smaller number of players on them. I'd like to try it during primetimes just to see how it works.

#3 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:05 AM

So scouting matches?...

#4 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:26 PM

View PostGrus, on 09 August 2022 - 11:05 AM, said:

So scouting matches?...
Nope, I'd like to try 8v8 full FP. Dropdecks, same tonnage. It would be interesting. Shake things up a bit.

#5 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:14 PM

I think it's a good idea. Maybe also limit groups to 3 or 4 players during those hours.

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:47 PM

We can't even get the domination timer changed, and it took 2 years to get the conquest point count changed. I'm for it but have 0 expectations for FP improvements.

#7 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 06:38 PM

View PostNightbird, on 09 August 2022 - 05:47 PM, said:

We can't even get the domination timer changed, and it took 2 years to get the conquest point count changed. I'm for it but have 0 expectations for FP improvements.
I'm with you on not having actual expectations, but as an intellectual exercise it's interesting to consider the changing dynamics of the mode if it were 8v8. Maps like Boreal become much less oppressive with smaller teams as the conga lines don't have to face 12 mechs worth of firepower and smaller teams make defense more challenging as you have fewer guys covering angles. It'll never happen, but discussing FP is about as close as were ever gonna get to actual improvements.

#8 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 10:20 AM

View Postccrider, on 09 August 2022 - 06:38 PM, said:

I'm with you on not having actual expectations, but as an intellectual exercise it's interesting to consider the changing dynamics of the mode if it were 8v8. Maps like Boreal become much less oppressive with smaller teams as the conga lines don't have to face 12 mechs worth of firepower and smaller teams make defense more challenging as you have fewer guys covering angles. It'll never happen, but discussing FP is about as close as were ever gonna get to actual improvements.

Unless the hitpoints of defense turrets and gens are also reduced proportionally, siege will become even harder as you have to take down those hp with fewer mechs. You can bet that PGI will forget to modify those.

#9 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 10:33 AM

View PostNightbird, on 10 August 2022 - 10:20 AM, said:

Unless the hitpoints of defense turrets and gens are also reduced proportionally, siege will become even harder as you have to take down those hp with fewer mechs. You can bet that PGI will forget to modify those.

Turrets usually get wiped out wave 1
.they have what? 60hp? You wanna bring them down to 40?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users