Mech Hugging

12 replies to this topic

#1 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 07:41 AM

Mech Hugging shouldn't be a thing in this game, at least not without "consequences". a flea shows up out of no where, and block the path of my kodiak? and shoot me front the safety of my blind spot like really -tall mechs' torso pitch is not great- like really?

lighter mechs should suffer greater structural and armor damage when colliding with a heavier mechs. similarly , if an assault collides with another assault they both should suffer a big deal of damage.

yes , it should be horrible , it should be an undesirable situation avoided at all cost in the best of the circumstances but only entertained while in the direst of the circumstances, when no other recourse is left.

Im gonna remind devs and community this isnt Call of Duty nor these are Gundam mechs.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 August 2022 - 03:41 PM

Well… all they’d have to do to implement your suggestion would be to build a new game from scratch in a new engine! And maybe hire someone. =)

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 26 August 2022 - 03:41 PM.

#3 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 29 August 2022 - 11:54 AM

Well I don't remember if it had damage, but the game did at one time have knockdowns. The code needed work, but I do agree, if you slam into something larger than you, at say 140.... both might take some damage, but the small mech should really take the brunt of it.

#4 kueilong

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 02:18 PM

I think a way to fix most of the problems is virtual melee as a starting point. then maybe make some weapons deal more damage the closer they are. Give SSRM auto lock at point blank range. these are just some ideas.

#5 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 August 2022 - 12:25 AM

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, I know humans are not mechs.

Looooong ago while still in high school, but at a party and outside I dared this little guy to a fight me. He was a plucky fighter. I was and still am 6'1 tall and 160 pounds.

He was about 5'5 and 100 pounds soaking wet

Well long story short he KICKED my ARSE bigtime. Agile and small and catlike reflexes. I took a hell of a lot more damage than he did.

Morale of the story- ME the big slow assault guy (well probably more a heavy) got my rear end handed to me by a little ol' light guy.

(before I get any crap about this story- this was not a bullying thing. Just two country boys with nothing better to do at the time. When I recovered my senses I went to my cooler and grabbed the guy a beer and told him "You earned this" he said to me "you better grab 3 for yourself considering how you are gonna feel in the morning" )

Edited by Rondoe, 30 August 2022 - 12:30 AM.

#6 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 30 August 2022 - 06:40 PM

Was he running into you? No one is upset that a light mech can do damage same as any other. Now by your example he's probably more of a medium or heavy to your self assumed assault. If he was just up on you smashing into you and there was nothing you could do... one you perhaps don't know how to do things like plant your feet, that'll make someone running into you fall down, and you also might not even know how to fight. Jet Li, Bruce Lee, amazing smaller frame fighters. They didn't just run face first into enemies. That's the problem with lights that I think people are having a problem with.

Next the example of vehicles, a light might be closer to a small sedan or a smart car, while an assault a military vehicle or a semi. A smart car driving into a semi or the other way around the smart car is gonna have a bad day.

#7 kueilong

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 10:35 PM

Was my idea not worth considering?

#8 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 31 August 2022 - 04:17 AM

View Postsimon1812, on 26 August 2022 - 07:41 AM, said:

Mech Hugging shouldn't be a thing in this game, at least not without "consequences". a flea shows up out of no where, and block the path of my kodiak? and shoot me front the safety of my blind spot like really -tall mechs' torso pitch is not great- like really?

lighter mechs should suffer greater structural and armor damage when colliding with a heavier mechs. similarly , if an assault collides with another assault they both should suffer a big deal of damage.

yes , it should be horrible , it should be an undesirable situation avoided at all cost in the best of the circumstances but only entertained while in the direst of the circumstances, when no other recourse is left.

Im gonna remind devs and community this isnt Call of Duty nor these are Gundam mechs.
From what i hear there use to be knock down.

which means if that flea slammed into your kodiak it'd fall flat on it's face.

Edited by KursedVixen, 31 August 2022 - 04:18 AM.

#9 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 03 September 2022 - 10:01 PM

Just had a game earlier with a flea attached to my no no spot.... should have just been able to punt him.

#10 kueilong

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 06:55 PM

So Necroconvict would any of my fixes have helped you? All I am asking for is some feedback.

Edited by kueilong, 04 September 2022 - 06:58 PM.

#11 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 05 September 2022 - 06:32 AM

Not in my opinion... those are often weapons of the smaller mechs that are already hugging large mechs. As far as the ssrm goes, and auto lock, but close range doing more damage again just helps tiny mechs hugging large mechs. There needs to be a penalty for crushing up into mechs. Knock down, or friction damage, or damage based on how long contact is held, repeated bumps, maybe another 20 or more ways. We may never get melee, we may never get an atlas grabbing a commando and tearing it in half... but some damage for collisions. I think the more significant damage the larger the weight class difference.

#12 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 11:22 AM

View PostNecroconvict, on 03 September 2022 - 10:01 PM, said:

Just had a game earlier with a flea attached to my no no spot.... should have just been able to punt him.

Now if the game was totally realistic, you could just get a medicated shampoo for that! Posted Image

Seriously though, making crash damage a significant thing couldn't be that much work, and could be reversed easily enough if it wasn't a good move.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 06 September 2022 - 11:25 AM.

#13 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 07 September 2022 - 05:43 PM

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 06 September 2022 - 11:22 AM, said:

Now if the game was totally realistic, you could just get a medicated shampoo for that! Posted Image

Seriously though, making crash damage a significant thing couldn't be that much work, and could be reversed easily enough if it wasn't a good move.

As I recall that's why there are test servers. Well I think there are. They add that mechanic, or some variant, I'd log on, to help test it out. Nothing like Dragon bowling. As I recall the stories that's what did the nail in the coffin to remove knock downs back in the day. I think there was/is a video of players just knocking down a PGI guy, and then it was gone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users