Drop Deck For Pug

6 replies to this topic

#1 Vend-a-Face

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 September 2022 - 11:03 AM

In what world or universe would the high command allow me to drop into a snow covered battleground with a white 'mech or a volcanic planet with all heavy lasers. How about landing in the middle of a city of high rises with three LRM 20s? I played Forza, as an example, where we could jump out and pick a car with rain tires if it was raining or a lower geared car if the track was twisty where better traction and more acceleration were warranted.

Why can't we do this with quick play? Don't we already have something similar with Faction play? It would not affect the matchmaking if my deck could only include a single chassis type but slightly different variants, setups or skills.

It's really crumby when I parachute into Solaris City with my LRM Catapult and I can't do any damage to help my team, we get pummeled and my rating drops like a rock, not to mention all the ill will it causes. If we all have LRM boats in Polar Highlands then so be it. We could skill for radar deprivation and equip more AMS, find cover, stick with ECM mechs, etc. Anyway, that wouldn't happen because different players like different weapons but your setup would be better suited to the battleground and you would have more fun.

It would make the game more real and more fun. See what you can do. It would be great.

Edited by General Staedert, 15 September 2022 - 11:04 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 06:08 AM

View PostGeneral Staedert, on 15 September 2022 - 11:03 AM, said:

In what world or universe would the high command allow me to drop into a snow covered battleground with a white 'mech or a volcanic planet with all heavy lasers.

Situations like these happen in the BattleTech universe.

I am just reading a story about the raid on an Inner Sphere planet with the ambient temperature of 200 °C ... and a half of the attacking force has 'Mechs based around Large lasers and single heat sinks. Posted Image .

How about landing in the middle of a city of high rises with three LRM 20s? I played Forza, as an example, where we could jump out and pick a car with rain tires if it was raining or a lower geared car if the track was twisty where better traction and more acceleration were warranted.

It's really crumby when I parachute into Solaris City with my LRM Catapult and I can't do any damage to help my team, we get pummeled and my rating drops like a rock, not to mention all the ill will it causes.

Do you complain when you deploy with three LRM-20s on the Alpine Peaks map? I guess that you do not.

Why can't we do this with quick play? Don't we already have something similar with Faction play?

If you want to play as you would in the Faction Play, then just go and play the Faction Play that offers the game mechanics that you like. Easy.

Almost forgot: The Faction Play is practically dead because the MWO player do not like it. Make your own conclusion.

It would not affect the matchmaking if my deck could only include a single chassis type but slightly different variants, setups or skills.

It would hit players, who do not own some wide collection of 'Mechs prepared for every possible map, pretty hard.

As it is now, everybody must do his best in the 'Mech that he sits in.

Following your suggestion, a player with a big selection of 'Mechs would always drop in the best 'Mech for any given map, while poorer players would often have to do with sub-optimal 'Mechs.

If we all have LRM boats in Polar Highlands then so be it. We could skill for radar deprivation and equip more AMS, find cover, stick with ECM mechs, etc.

AMS or ECM would only get you so far. Imagine being on Polar Highlands, just peeking out for a monemt ... and being the target of 2000 enemy LRMs, You would die in five seconds, AMS or not.

Anyway, that wouldn't happen because different players like different weapons but your setup would be better suited to the battleground and you would have more fun.

It would make the game more real and more fun. See what you can do. It would be great.

See above. And you should also consider that the higher Tiers players often gravitate to more efficient builds.

#3 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 September 2022 - 06:21 AM

When I was in Iraq my unit was supporting the 25th Infantry Division. Do you know where 25ID makes its garrison? Alaska. A unit HQ'd in Alaska was deployed to Iraq.

So, when you ask in what world or universe, the answer is "The one you're in right now."

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 06:47 AM

View PostEscef, on 17 September 2022 - 06:21 AM, said:

When I was in Iraq my unit was supporting the 25th Infantry Division. Do you know where 25ID makes its garrison? Alaska. A unit HQ'd in Alaska was deployed to Iraq.

So, when you ask in what world or universe, the answer is "The one you're in right now."

Reminds me the transfer of the Italian troops from the sunny Mediterranean to the Eastern front in Russia during the World War II. Posted Image

#5 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 09:33 PM

This thread has been moved to Feature Suggestions

#6 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 04:20 PM

i think the 25th is base in hawaii, and Scofield barracks and wheeler airforce base, : )

SAWK CLANNER

#7 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 October 2022 - 12:15 PM

View PostSawk, on 20 September 2022 - 04:20 PM, said:

i think the 25th is base in hawaii, and Scofield barracks and wheeler airforce base, : )

SAWK CLANNER

People from Electric Strawberry I worked with were based in Alaska.

EDIT: Not being a part of 25th ID myself, I wasn't aware of how spread out the organization was. I was with the 504th BFSB at the time.

Edited by Escef, 01 October 2022 - 12:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users