The Last Man Standing

10 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:45 AM

Deploying in the Clan Smoke Jaguar Mad Dog because I have just read a BattleTech short story from the Clan Invasion era. Posted Image

Posted Image

When you are feeling that you have contributed to your team's victory ... Posted Image

Posted Image

I must admit, it feels good. Posted Image

Posted Image

How often does it happen to you that you are the last man standing? Posted Image

#2 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:11 AM

I've been known to clutch a few in my assaults that's for sure.

But if you make a drinking game out of me trying to clutch in a light, and had to take a shot every time I missed a shot or hit the wrong component you would be passed out drunk before the match was over! Posted Image

#3 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 20 September 2022 - 03:03 PM

"Last man standing" What about last Pony standing? Eh, nevermind, getting old.

Betcha it was a nice adrenaline rush :)

My teammates would tell you I'm good at surviving to the end because I'm so good at running away; I lose most 1v1s though cuz my Kit Fox isn't very good at dueling. Win sometimes; if the last enemy was already damaged...

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 September 2022 - 03:16 PM

Happens every once in a while, but the couple where I also hit Ace of Spades and finished off all the enemy walking dead... those felt epic.

Congrats!

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:52 PM

View PostFlyby215, on 20 September 2022 - 03:03 PM, said:

"Last man standing" What about last Pony standing? Eh, nevermind, getting old.

It was more like the Vulture waiting ... Posted Image

View PostFlyby215, on 20 September 2022 - 03:03 PM, said:

Betcha it was a nice adrenaline rush Posted Image

It really was. Posted Image

I piloted that Mad Dog that I have won in the June Free Mech Event

Posted Image

I still keep it in the event skin with all those colours, decals, pattern, etc. - see the image above in the first post. It makes the 'Mech special for me.

Posted Image

I just added the number "13" that I won with the other rewards during the same weekend in the Error 13 Event Again, see the image above.

So the victory felt great because I felt that the grind to get the free 'Mech was worth it. Posted Image

#6 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:34 PM

Well done!

Reading the MWO forums, always thought that Mad Dog had terrible hitboxes, and is especially not viable for T1/T1 QP games...

And yet here you are, highest match score and very high damage count! 3 Kills!
And against these fearsome opponents:

PIR-2
MLX-G

SNS-D
MAL-MX90

BAS-A
KDK-3
KGC-KJ
ON1-VA
ON1-K(P)

*faints*

#7 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 11:00 PM

View Postw0qj, on 20 September 2022 - 09:34 PM, said:

Reading the MWO forums, always thought that Mad Dog had terrible hitboxes, and is especially not viable for T1/T1 QP games...

Anything stronger than a SDR-5V Spider is viable for T1 QP. Some are more work than others, and some are a lot less consistent about it, but just about anything in this game can kill people dead.

Anyway, I'm pretty much never the last man standing, because 11-12 games are rare, and games where I don't stupidly run off and get myself killed are rarer still.

#8 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:10 AM

Hitbox isn't issue, possible loadouts are the issue... low amount of non missile hardpoints. Some decent brawl builds for that mech though but it doesn't jump which is huge minus.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:02 AM

Well done!

Well, I must admit that you do not see too many Mad Dogs in the game.

#10 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:56 AM

View Postmartian, on 21 September 2022 - 09:02 AM, said:

Well, I must admit that you do not see too many Mad Dogs in the game.

True, which is odd. They're not bad mechs at all IMO. You can pack on a lot of weaponry and they move reasonably fast. I've had some good games with both stock variants and personal load-outs. The brawler filled with SRMs and a huge autocannon is certainly not good when top-tier players run around, but in random quick play at my skill level it can be devastating. Just don't rush in for two alpha strikes before death, try to go in when someone else is already there. The stock with half long range, half short-range was also very nice as long as I used it as support instead of going in first.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 02:15 AM

View PostSpetulhu, on 21 September 2022 - 11:56 AM, said:

True, which is odd. They're not bad mechs at all IMO.

I would say that the Vulture is not a bad 'Mech. Certainly, there are much worse 'Mechs in MWO.

View PostSpetulhu, on 21 September 2022 - 11:56 AM, said:

You can pack on a lot of weaponry and they move reasonably fast. I've had some good games with both stock variants and personal load-outs. The brawler filled with SRMs and a huge autocannon is certainly not good when top-tier players run around, but in random quick play at my skill level it can be devastating. Just don't rush in for two alpha strikes before death, try to go in when someone else is already there. The stock with half long range, half short-range was also very nice as long as I used it as support instead of going in first.

Essentially, since there is not Battle Value in MWO, your typical QP player has no reason to take anything else than the best 'Mech he has. Do you want to drop in a Clan heavy 'Mech? You can just deploy in the Mad Cat. That Mad Cat is 15 tons heavier than the Vulture and that means 15 more tons to play with - more weapons, thicker armour, better cooling.

Unless you have some sound tactical reason or you feel some emotional attachement to the Vulture, there is no reason why to limit yourself to a mere 60-tonner. Posted Image Many MWO players understand this logic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users