At A Completely And Utter Loss Improving Game Performance

20 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:46 PM

I've made a thread about this earlier this year and I've tried everything at this point. I've had consistent problems with 30 - 50 fps and disorienting frame tanks below 20 that have made this game a nightmare to play and it nullifies a lot of the skill I have which makes it frustrating. I used to have consistently above 60 fps years prior, but it has progressively got worse even though I have done nothing but improve my PC since then.

My PC specs are well over the requirements and I'm not going to spend any more money JUST to improve MWO.

I've tried:
Setting everything to low
Reinstalling game fresh several times
Getting a better CPU
Getting a better GPU
More RAM
Overclocking CPU
Overclocking GPU
Vlaad's user.cfg changes (and many hours of testing settings)
Setting literally everything to higher performance
Fiddling with core affinity

-and probably nameless other things.

Funnily enough, these changes DID make a difference... in testing grounds. Big performance there. Matches however, got either a slight boost that wasn't notable at all or got worse somehow from the changes.

It doesn't make any sense at all that nothing I have done has translated to better performance in matches, it's like I'm flipping dummy switches.

UPDATE:

While not perfect, the FPS gain I've received from a suggestion given and playing around with LOD ratios has made the game tolerable again for the most part, with 60 - 80 fps being a common resting framerate on most maps. 800 - 1k damage matches are now more achievable than ever and my aim is getting back to where it was (though occasionally an FPS dip still happens, messing with laser burn accuracy mostly). Thanks all who participated in this thread.

Edited by MadHornet, 25 September 2022 - 06:37 PM.

#2 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:02 PM

If it helps at all... I can bounce off a 120fps limiter @ 4k in ultra quality of a bunch of modern games... but sit at ~50fps in MWO, with <20fps stutters at the start of some maps.

This game is largely CPU bound, and bound to a single core at that. Good luck.

#3 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:08 PM

I had the same problems and finally reinstalled from one of my SATA drives to an SSD. Now I get steady 40-60FPS. 40 being from looking at heavy smoke or all those stupid FPS sucking billboards on buildings.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:32 PM

idk how but i managed to get 120hz at 4k on a 2070 super. sometimes i wonder if the frame counter is lying to me. cpu is a ryzen 5800x, 32 gigs ddr4. all shoved into a 12 liter sff case.

turn off particles and env. other than being resource hogs they are an impediment to visibility. i think i also run with aa off. little point at 4k. textures can be up all the way because they only use vram.

if you are changing gpus, clean your shaders. having cached shaders compiled on another card is bad and can lead to poor performance and graphical glitches. this one is very important. you can do it with the repair tool, steam users need to delete them directly (idk where steam keeps them).

also make sure nothing is hogging cpu resources. that includes modern web browsers.

#5 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:52 PM

I've actually upgraded my computer in hopes of (much) better MWO performance, only to find that it's the single core CPU speed that matters, and not the GPU !!

0) Set your MWO video settings to "Low" for everything:
[Settings]>>[Video]
Also [Windowed_Mode]>>[Full_Window]
ie: *DO*NOT* use the default "Full_Screen" which may cause game crashes!

No MWO FPS lag for me, as I've set my video settings & ingame resolution to the bare minimum, and now I don't die under 3FPS dakka fire!

Oh, and I use Mr MrVaad MWOconfig for Cryengine, and swear by it!

==============================
MrVaad MWOconfig for Cryengine
==============================

These were helpful to me:

1) Set your MWO game client Settings to:

in [Video]:
1280x720 DPI, and
[Full_Window]

2) in [Video]>>[Advanced]:

[Particles]=Low
[Environment]=Low

3) You can also try adjusting your User.cfg via Mr. Vaad's instructions (worked wonders for me!):

http://mwomercs.com/...-editor-for-mwo
http://github.com/MrVaad/MWOConfig

http://mwomercs.com/...ide-and-usercfg

http://mwomercs.com/...u-and-particles

http://mwomercs.com/...5-mwo-dimmdrive

http://www.reddit.co...ide_and_usercfg

Good luck!

#6 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:32 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 September 2022 - 09:32 PM, said:

idk how but i managed to get 120hz at 4k on a 2070 super. sometimes i wonder if the frame counter is lying to me. cpu is a ryzen 5800x, 32 gigs ddr4. all shoved into a 12 liter sff case.

turn off particles and env. other than being resource hogs they are an impediment to visibility. i think i also run with aa off. little point at 4k. textures can be up all the way because they only use vram.

if you are changing gpus, clean your shaders. having cached shaders compiled on another card is bad and can lead to poor performance and graphical glitches. this one is very important. you can do it with the repair tool, steam users need to delete them directly (idk where steam keeps them).

also make sure nothing is hogging cpu resources. that includes modern web browsers.

Clearing cache looks like it has helped some, I can sustain good FPS right until any significant amount of particles show up (snow, explosions, etc). I'm not exactly sure how to "turn off" particles/environment through user.cfg unless I'm not looking in the right place? In settings they are already low.

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:44 PM

i should have said i turned them all the way down. however i wouldn't doubt there was a setting to turn them off completely, but i did not have to jump that far down the rabbit hole to get good performance.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:51 PM

What are your actual specs?

-- Power Options - set to High Performance.
-- Nvidia GPU? Set to Max Performance
-- Heat sinks cleared of dust buildup and fans are running at proper RPM or high RPMs?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 September 2022 - 07:53 PM.

#9 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:21 PM

I know you don't want to spend any more $ but getting an SSD drive is a "once you get one you won't know how you lived without it" type of deal.

#10 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:44 PM

Okay so it seems clearing the old shaders did some work, as well as cutting down LOD on particles and other things. I've been hovering around 60 most maps, sometimes 70 - 80. Water tends to be a hit, dropping down to 40 - 50's, same with intense firefight and strikes, but nowhere near the intolerable mess that it was.

Thanks LordNothing for the small but invaluable suggestion.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 September 2022 - 07:51 PM, said:

What are your actual specs?

-- Power Options - set to High Performance.
-- Nvidia GPU? Set to Max Performance
-- Heat sinks cleared of dust buildup and fans are running at proper RPM or high RPMs?

View PostKatrina Steiner, on 23 September 2022 - 09:21 PM, said:

I know you don't want to spend any more $ but getting an SSD drive is a "once you get one you won't know how you lived without it" type of deal.

Have SSD, everything is maximum performance, computer could be cleaned again but I don't think it's bad at all, temperatures look just fine.

I'll give specs:

Core i7 980X 3.33 overclocked to 4.0 (for general purposes)
Nvidia 1070ti (can overclock at any time but does nothing to MWO as stated before)
32 GB ram

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:49 PM

View PostKatrina Steiner, on 23 September 2022 - 09:21 PM, said:

ssd mostly only improves load times. it might help if you have potato levels of ram/vram and have to swap a lot. but if you are in that situation you have bigger problems. if you have enough rams you don't have to swap at all and you can get maximum performance. still an ssd, especially a gen4 nvme ssd, is an excellent upgrade option, even if your system is made out of bottlenecks.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 September 2022 - 08:39 AM

View PostMadHornet, on 23 September 2022 - 09:44 PM, said:

Okay so it seems clearing the old shaders did some work, as well as cutting down LOD on particles and other things. I've been hovering around 60 most maps, sometimes 70 - 80. Water tends to be a hit, dropping down to 40 - 50's, same with intense firefight and strikes, but nowhere near the intolerable mess that it was.

Thanks LordNothing for the small but invaluable suggestion.

Have SSD, everything is maximum performance, computer could be cleaned again but I don't think it's bad at all, temperatures look just fine.

I'll give specs:

Core i7 980X 3.33 overclocked to 4.0 (for general purposes)
Nvidia 1070ti (can overclock at any time but does nothing to MWO as stated before)
32 GB ram

Now that is an old CPU, tis even a few years older than MWO itself, but it does put things into perspective. It isnt just the lack of overclocking but overall system bandwidth and speed, including the type of memory being used. And correct, no gains would be garnered by OC the GPU.

MWO is heavily reliant on single core speed, not the number of cores and GPU as MWO has a huge overhead. That is why there is a huge difference between Testing Grounds and a live game. In game with a i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz OC 4.6ghz + Nvidia 2060s, on average I see 80-90 fps (lots of highs but have FPS capped), though that will fluctuate up/down dependent on the map, only rarely dropping to 50fps when fighting in the shade while being smacked around by AC/Rotary (wrong place/wrong time!!) . Other system is a i5-3570K oc 4.5ghz + Nvidia 1660 with slightly lower FPS. When that one was not OC, FPS would plummet in a live game, but not so much in the Testing Grounds.

What resolution is being used? Lowering the resolution would generally provide a FPS gain, and turn off AA. For myself, I have Particulars and Post Processing set to Low, everything else varies between Medium and High. Again, this is a heavily modified Cryengine 3.x with a huge overhead.

And if you are seeing severe drops in FPS? Potentially heat related. With the OC, do you have Turboboost disabled? All it takes is for one core to exceed tis thermal threshold to have the entire CPU drop to allow it to cool down. It may be for a few seconds but enough time to be blasted away. Idea is to have more consistent FPS without huge spikes/drops in FPS.

#13 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:22 AM

Post your CPU, GPU, RAM. Had quite a few cases of people "upgrading" to a slower component.

If you're willing, run a benchmark (https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software click free download) and share the results link here so we can troubleshoot. All these stabs in the dark are not helpful.

#14 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:26 AM

Just an example of a benchmark result for my computer, you can see there's no personal information shared. Just your hardware and also whether it's performing as expected against other people with same components (configured correctly).

https://www.userbenc...serRun/50203187

#15 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:37 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 24 September 2022 - 08:39 AM, said:

Now that is an old CPU, tis even a few years older than MWO itself, but it does put things into perspective. It isnt just the lack of overclocking but overall system bandwidth and speed, including the type of memory being used. And correct, no gains would be garnered by OC the GPU.

MWO is heavily reliant on single core speed, not the number of cores and GPU as MWO has a huge overhead. That is why there is a huge difference between Testing Grounds and a live game. In game with a i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz OC 4.6ghz + Nvidia 2060s, on average I see 80-90 fps (lots of highs but have FPS capped), though that will fluctuate up/down dependent on the map, only rarely dropping to 50fps when fighting in the shade while being smacked around by AC/Rotary (wrong place/wrong time!!) . Other system is a i5-3570K oc 4.5ghz + Nvidia 1660 with slightly lower FPS. When that one was not OC, FPS would plummet in a live game, but not so much in the Testing Grounds.

What resolution is being used? Lowering the resolution would generally provide a FPS gain, and turn off AA. For myself, I have Particulars and Post Processing set to Low, everything else varies between Medium and High. Again, this is a heavily modified Cryengine 3.x with a huge overhead.

And if you are seeing severe drops in FPS? Potentially heat related. With the OC, do you have Turboboost disabled? All it takes is for one core to exceed tis thermal threshold to have the entire CPU drop to allow it to cool down. It may be for a few seconds but enough time to be blasted away. Idea is to have more consistent FPS without huge spikes/drops in FPS.

Absolutely everything I can is set to low, turbo enabled, AA is off. FPS drops usually occur when lots of stuff is going on at once on screen or I'm looking at water. It couldn't be a heat issue, I've monitored it before and it stays pretty consistently between 60-70°C no matter what is going on in the game. I have 1920 x 1080, and lowering resolution I have tried but it looks absolutely horrible just going down by 1 factor so I'd rather not.

I understand the CPU is an oldie but it shouldn't be a detriment playing this old game in the first place. Emphasis on shouldn't.

#16 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:27 PM

mwo engine is dogcrap thats why even on a high end pc you'll lag in extreme fights.

pretty sure pgi is using a free beta cryengine 3

#17 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 October 2022 - 04:33 AM

Its weird i've never really had any issues pc wise in game, flows well and runs nice and my computer is pretty old.. so was my other one that also ran fine..

My only issue is ping because i'm in Australia.. 280 to usa.. but there is nothing i can do about that.

Edited by PocketYoda, 03 October 2022 - 04:35 AM.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 03 October 2022 - 07:14 AM

View PostMadHornet, on 24 September 2022 - 09:37 AM, said:

Absolutely everything I can is set to low, turbo enabled, AA is off. FPS drops usually occur when lots of stuff is going on at once on screen or I'm looking at water. It couldn't be a heat issue, I've monitored it before and it stays pretty consistently between 60-70°C no matter what is going on in the game. I have 1920 x 1080, and lowering resolution I have tried but it looks absolutely horrible just going down by 1 factor so I'd rather not.

I understand the CPU is an oldie but it shouldn't be a detriment playing this old game in the first place. Emphasis on shouldn't.

Setting everything to low just makes the game more CPU bound. You might as well run Texturing, Object Detail, Environment on High or Very High and throw in some AA.

#19 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 03:18 AM

Disable the HUD, fps will skyrocket, enable the HUD and fps will tank.

I think they should look into HUD performance. There's nothing you can do details wise to solve the issue, you can somewhat find a placebo.

#20 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 02:59 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 03 October 2022 - 07:14 AM, said:

Setting everything to low just makes the game more CPU bound. You might as well run Texturing, Object Detail, Environment on High or Very High and throw in some AA.

I actually found that lowering everything was better. Not by a huge margin, but enough that it mattered as I needed every frame I could get. Don't ask how, that's just how it works for me. shrug

View PostDashen, on 04 October 2022 - 03:18 AM, said:

Disable the HUD, fps will skyrocket, enable the HUD and fps will tank.

I think they should look into HUD performance. There's nothing you can do details wise to solve the issue, you can somewhat find a placebo.

I actually noticed that pretty early on when I was first investigating my framerate issue early this year, but there wasn't and still isn't anything I can do about it. It's really bizarre how something so seemingly benign and small compared to the rest of the game hurts the performance so much and I'm wondering how it has slipped between the cracks for so long being such a significant problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users