Please Use Steam Events, For Well "events!"

10 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:14 AM

Steam has that function where you can add updates in the "what's New" thing. typically companies use it for patches, updates, and also events. Heck they even use it for dev diaries.

So why not use it for your Events. Lots of folks are not keeping tabs of the main forum if they are not active players, but lots of folks might see an event pop up when they click on their library and think.. Ohh cool, maybe i'll give that a shot.

It certainly couldn't hurt adding it and getting more people aware of things going on on a more regular basis also would help with the whole, Is this game dead people. When they see events and patches happening often that answer is fairly easy to see it's no. The game might not have 100k players, but it certainly active enough to warrant letting folks know about fun events and have an easy way to see what time each are happening right in the main steam hub when they are trying to decide which thing in there library they are going to play next.

#2 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:22 AM

Posting your event suggestion in the correct place, i.e. in the Event Suggestions section, would actually improve the probability that PGI notices your suggestion.

Other than that, it sounds good. Is not a part of Daeron Katz's job (as the Community Manager) to do something like this?

#3 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:37 AM

I suspect that one reason they don't do this is because a good portion of the older player base use the stand alone client rather than steam.

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:59 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 25 September 2022 - 05:35 AM, said:

I don't know anyone who uses steam for MWO.
I'd never use steam when there's a standalone launcher available.

True, but using both would be a form of advertising. I guess they don't like advertising.

#5 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 25 September 2022 - 06:27 AM

I use Steam for MWO. Now you know someone that uses Steam for MWO.

#6 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:03 AM

I also use Steam for MWO ;)

Came back to MWO after a looonngg hiatus (Khan...cough...Gold Mech fiasco...)

Steam offered a 1-day flash sale, offering Solaris7 mech pack for US$ single digit amount!
Got this pack summer 2020, started playing MWO again, and the rest is history!

I actually played a few games in the original Terra Therma (2013), very vaguely remembered about the central platform...
didn't know what I was doing back then, actually did not notice the infamous bottlenecks leading to the center...

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:09 AM

Yeah, I've never seen a game company with so little advertising. I mean, a couple hundred new players is a couple hundred new players...

#8 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:53 PM

They do use the Events & Announcements section occasionally, last time for the September Monthly Mechs announcement.
https://steamcommuni.../eventcomments/
but it's often a good chunk later than the website and not as reliably kept up to date.

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:34 AM

Well obviously it would not be for you then. Steam has upwards of 1k users on high pop times. There are a ton of casual players that play this game through steam and some better ones as well. But the whole idea is to target those casual players as that is what fuels a game, it's what maintains populations and some of those will become great players making more good players in the upper levels as well. The point is to bring in more people through a Free way of advertising to people with Steam open and looking for a game to play.

As for the never on steam folks, i really wish they would just use steam and help increase the numbers. People are far more likely to see a game with 3k-4k players online at one time and think it's worth playing, verse seeing a much smaller number even if there are 10x as many people using a launcher. Startrek online is an example of a game like that and it has a far larger population than this one. Just saying it would help.

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 25 September 2022 - 09:53 PM, said:

They do use the Events & Announcements section occasionally, last time for the September Monthly Mechs announcement.
https://steamcommuni.../eventcomments/
but it's often a good chunk later than the website and not as reliably kept up to date.

Yea, they should do it every time, heck i would volunteer to do it for them. They can pay me in Paint unlocks. ;-P

View Postmartian, on 25 September 2022 - 03:22 AM, said:

Posting your event suggestion in the correct place, i.e. in the Event Suggestions section, would actually improve the probability that PGI notices your suggestion.

Other than that, it sounds good. Is not a part of Daeron Katz's job (as the Community Manager) to do something like this?

I'll ask a mod to move the thread, thanks.

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 September 2022 - 04:37 AM.

#10 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 12:59 AM

This thread has been moved to the subsection Website & Forum, since the Event Suggestions is dedicated to content-related suggestions for events.

#11 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 28 September 2022 - 10:40 AM

I also tend to use MwO on Steam, since I play also Euro Truck Simulator 2 / American Truck Simulator to wind my rage off Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users