If Only This Was The Version Of Mwo Released Back In 2013.

30 replies to this topic

#1 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:38 PM

I played for ~5 years straight and then dropped & came back on-and-off every so years.

What can I say... this version of MWO is the best so far. A pity that it took about 8 years to get to this stage.

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:42 PM

The IP is still active and growing since both the single player games sold well and have decent activity. Just need to figure out a way to draw some of them over. Dunno why there hasn't been any cross marketing ala get a free mwo 'insert mech here' with mw5/battletech dlc purchase or somesuch. I agree the game is probably in its best state and the cauldron changes have been fairly positive to expand mech builds and metas even if they might overtune something now and then. Posted Image

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:18 PM

it shouldn't have taken almost 10 years to get here.

and it shouldn't have taken so much corner cutting either.

you need to be feature complete before you your population gets bored and leaves.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 September 2022 - 04:31 PM.

#4 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:31 PM

I have to agree its a shame the event queue didn't get added as a full game mode instead of Solaris was added, i think this game would be so different now..

Also if they dropped this game into consoles cheap i think it would seriously boost this game, consoles love multiplayer shooters of all types.

Edited by Nomad Tech, 25 September 2022 - 11:34 PM.

#5 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:54 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 25 September 2022 - 11:31 PM, said:

I have to agree its a shame the event queue didn't get added as a full game mode instead of Solaris was added, i think this game would be so different now..

Solaris itself wasn't bad idea IMO it just needed a lot of polishing, which never happened. Nor do I think that Solaris killed the game any way, you didn't have to play it if you didn't like it. Sure wasted money and development effort because they never updated Solaris after it's release (Queueing and MM are both barely functional and MM have the issue that if there is just number #1 player and new player in queue it will match them.)

Also if they dropped this game into consoles cheap i think it would seriously boost this game, consoles love multiplayer shooters of all types.

Shooters that allow mouse and console pad playing are pretty hard to balance, pad is horrible aiming device. Mixed queue for both would be like T5 vs T1... but then again we got people using joystick as main controller.

If I remember correctly some of the never Unreal tournaments had mixed queue for very short time when it got released and for some reason it was removed after pad players were smashed hard.

#6 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:38 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 September 2022 - 04:18 PM, said:

it shouldn't have taken almost 10 years to get here.

Took me 10 years to play Startrek online even though i bought a life time sub while i was playing Beta. Sometimes games don't click for people.

I do agree with the OP, the game has never been better.

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:44 AM

View PostCurccu, on 26 September 2022 - 12:54 AM, said:

Solaris itself wasn't bad idea IMO it just needed a lot of polishing, which never happened. Nor do I think that Solaris killed the game any way, you didn't have to play it if you didn't like it. Sure wasted money and development effort because they never updated Solaris after it's release (Queueing and MM are both barely functional and MM have the issue that if there is just number #1 player and new player in queue it will match them.)

The main problem i think with Solaris, they went to big with running all things at the same time. Had they gone an event Que route and turned it on for limited times, maybe an evening, or weekend and gave out a prize right after said event it could of been an extremely popular mode. Especially if they had divsions that were also based on skill.

For instance they have a division 4 night, Pilots have a solaris rating, novice, intermediate and pro.. then people even in the lower ranks have something to try for verse just getting their butt kicked. It needed more work but it could of been a fun time. I think the recent Solaris event weekend proved that.

Another thing about the dev time, i actually think the solaris style que for Faction play.. Load up teams, Drop them every 30 mins, give teams some sort of skill rating. Let all teams be open to attack another verse same faction being locked from playing one another. The game is to small to not have eveyone an option and it leads to Farmers and seals which from a game play side of things blows.

#8 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:32 AM

"This is CNN"....

#9 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:18 AM

While the current game is more polished and would be more "successful", I don't think it would be successful in the sense of a drastic difference with many times larger player base.

#10 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:24 AM

View PostNightbird, on 26 September 2022 - 10:18 AM, said:

While the current game is more polished and would be more "successful", I don't think it would be successful in the sense of a drastic difference with many times larger player base.

With proper management and advertisement sure it could have. The game was actually doing quite well until they decided that for some reason a game based around large team pvp would benefit from dumping nearly their entire pool of money and talent on a 1 vs 1 game mode. That was the day the game started its decline because there was no return on investment from the failed game mode they sunk so much money and dev time into. So now they were tapped out and unable to fully support the game modes that actually had people interested in playing them.

Now here we are. Posted Image

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:21 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 26 September 2022 - 11:24 AM, said:

With proper management and advertisement sure it could have. The game was actually doing quite well until they decided that for some reason a game based around large team pvp would benefit from dumping nearly their entire pool of money and talent on a 1 vs 1 game mode. That was the day the game started its decline because there was no return on investment from the failed game mode they sunk so much money and dev time into. So now they were tapped out and unable to fully support the game modes that actually had people interested in playing them.

Now here we are. Posted Image

Retention rate in this game for new players hasn't really changed. Advertising only makes sense when 10$ of advertising brings in at least 10$ of revenue. PGI has never really figured this part out.

The Event Queue for example increases engagement for veteran players, who have the necessary mechs skilled. For a new player, the experience may even be worse than normal as the MM has fewer players to work with in QP.

#12 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:16 PM

View PostNightbird, on 26 September 2022 - 12:21 PM, said:

Retention rate in this game for new players hasn't really changed. Advertising only makes sense when 10$ of advertising brings in at least 10$ of revenue. PGI has never really figured this part out.

The Event Queue for example increases engagement for veteran players, who have the necessary mechs skilled. For a new player, the experience may even be worse than normal as the MM has fewer players to work with in QP.

Yes I understand that retention rates are similar but you still need to maximize the new joiners so you outgrow the loss rate. We are at a great place for that as the tutorial works very well to get you used to the complex weapon systems and how they work and interact along with heat management and other basics. Then on to the academy to piss around and get even more experience before you hit the quick play queue. It also rewards you with enough cbills to buy a few mechs and fit them out and the 25 cadet missions will give you all sorts of goodies and even more cbills more than enough to buy any cbill mech you want. The mm changes mean that cadets start in upper tier 5 which is waaaaay better than the tier 3.5 you used to start at. So the issue is to get people aware of the game and interested in joining.

I think one way would be to do a quick and dirty graphics upgrade ala the MrVaad method so that very high actually looks like very high and brings the game closer to looking modern vs the decade old settings we have now. I screwed around with the cvars and added a few more into the user config to force the game to fully render everything at all distances and at the highest resolution and it make the game look so much better especially on the older maps that never got a refresh like alpine. It transforms alpine from the blocky horribly lodded and pixelated mess into something resembling a set of mountain valleys. Plus there is internal stuff that can be done via cryedit and you see this in the new maps as they have so much better lodding and detail than the older maps even though they use the same assets.

You can give my custom user.cfg a try here.

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6441573

I've tested it on three systems from low end to high end and it won't bog the game down at all and even improves stability as reported by users.

The test rigs were i5 4670k/gtx960/8gb ram 1080p - i7 4770k/gtx1080ti/16gb ram 1440p - i9 11900k/rtx3080 12gb/32gb ram 4k.

Its also useful for very low settings as everything will still render at full resolution at all ranges but extra effects will be removed and only hard terrain/objects will be left so you get a nice open clear view of the map for improved situational awareness and fully rendered mechs at all ranges.

This is simple user side stuff so if a dev actually takes some time using cryedit they could really up the graphics without having to make new assets.

So yeah there is a lot they could do to make the game more appealing to current players of shooters. I mean I wasn't even a battletech fan and knew little of the lore and I fell in love with the game. With tens of millions of shooter players out there even if we only attracted 0.01% of them that would dwarf our current active roster.

#13 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:41 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 26 September 2022 - 01:16 PM, said:

Yes I understand that retention rates are similar but you still need to maximize the new joiners so you outgrow the loss rate. We are at a great place for that as the tutorial works very well to get you used to the complex weapon systems and how they work and interact along with heat management and other basics. Then on to the academy to piss around and get even more experience before you hit the quick play queue. It also rewards you with enough cbills to buy a few mechs and fit them out and the 25 cadet missions will give you all sorts of goodies and even more cbills more than enough to buy any cbill mech you want. The mm changes mean that cadets start in upper tier 5 which is waaaaay better than the tier 3.5 you used to start at. So the issue is to get people aware of the game and interested in joining.

There's no need to make an argument on what the changes are intended to accomplish since the results can be seen from the stored leader-boards. The retention rates hasn't changed so things haven't gotten better or worse.

Edited by Nightbird, 26 September 2022 - 08:41 PM.

#14 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:28 AM

And yet the sliding average says otherwise.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

"This...is CNN"

#15 Kriegson

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:44 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 27 September 2022 - 08:28 AM, said:

"This...is CNN"

This is the best state of the game, but that doesn't make it the best battletech game by any stretch.
If only the version that came out near a decade ago was the foundation for the vision they had of a living world with dynamic fights.
Faction play was supposed to be the core of the game based on fighting and capturing worlds in pitched battles.

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:40 PM

sure id be happy to have a bunch of game pad users to farm with my superior input devices.

#17 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:54 PM

View PostKriegson, on 27 September 2022 - 08:44 AM, said:

This is the best state of the game, but that doesn't make it the best battletech game by any stretch.
If only the version that came out near a decade ago was the foundation for the vision they had of a living world with dynamic fights.
Faction play was supposed to be the core of the game based on fighting and capturing worlds in pitched battles.

I'm not sure how the current FP mode is better than what it was 4, 6 years ago...

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 05:09 AM

"This...is CNN"

actually if you look at the data it shows that about half way through the chart the game has been pretty stable at retention and getting new players. Unless the game goes higher than that peak way long ago, the bar average will always be on a down slope which really is rather deceiving. Most games don't have a pop they did at launch, especially Niche games like this. Community is the main thing that maintains these kind of game. The Comp community as you know has done fairly well for the community, but the steam presence and just helping new players with grouping and getting going could really use more help. When there are only a couple people using that platform in a way that encourages/helps the new folks it also makes things harder.

View PostNightbird, on 27 September 2022 - 06:54 PM, said:

I'm not sure how the current FP mode is better than what it was 4, 6 years ago...

It's better because there are a ton more options to get something that you would want to spend money on. the platinum packs are extremely newbie friendly, giving them 4 mechs of different styles all with a +C=bill boost when they are trying to build up a hanger is a wonderful thing. They also give away things at a lot more steady of a rate. Free mechs once a month, lots more events, tossing premium time at people constantly are all extremly helpful and far more generous than they were 4-6 years ago. I earned about 6 months of free time this year. I bought 6 months with my MC at the new year sale and my time count is still going and won't run out till early jan 6 months worth is a lot. I've never earned that kind of premium in the past.) The QOL stuff they added and the skill tree changes making it cheaper has also helped new players skill up there mechs much easier and then toss in the free GSP they hand out makes things even easier.

I know a lot of vets like to bash the platinum packs as a cash grab for some reason but it's really the cheapest way to buy hero mechs, it' like getting Lights on 50% off sales and i've never heard a single person complain about light mech hero prices. For many vets unless a mech is your fav, or you want the skin there isn't a point, but for those newbies they are great starter packs. Before them the next best option was solaris and that is limited. Sure it has some solid mechs, but it's only a handful of the total options in this game. Now players have access to so many of their favs coming in.

There is an entire new generation of folks out there. Small communities have the bonus that the large ones don't. MWO doesn't have rampant cheating/hacks. Typically people are pleasant and helpful and lots are willing to group up for a fun night of fun. The game needs to lean into that more and and perhaps we will see an updated engine and game in time.

#19 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:30 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 28 September 2022 - 05:09 AM, said:

It's better because there are a ton more options to get something that you would want to spend money on.

LOL

If that is your best argument then I rest my case.

#20 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 September 2022 - 05:59 PM

View PostCurccu, on 26 September 2022 - 12:54 AM, said:

Shooters that allow mouse and console pad playing are pretty hard to balance, pad is horrible aiming device. Mixed queue for both would be like T5 vs T1... but then again we got people using joystick as main controller.

If I remember correctly some of the never Unreal tournaments had mixed queue for very short time when it got released and for some reason it was removed after pad players were smashed hard.

Thats my point, all that money went to Solaris and it was its last big final hurrah no one but a tiny few liked it and the Solaris design was atrocious, after that a lot left and the devs kinda gave up and moved on.. Event queue would have totally changed the game in the opposite direction.

Its because Mouse and keyboard is a far superior design to controllers but other multiplayer fps are on Consoles so it can be done.

View PostLordNothing, on 27 September 2022 - 06:40 PM, said:

sure id be happy to have a bunch of game pad users to farm with my superior input devices.

I didn't mean to have crossplay just to add it to console to get more focus and more money...

"This...is CNN"

For some reason that website no longer loads for me anymore *shrug

Edited by Nomad Tech, 28 September 2022 - 06:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users