Strange Match Because Of Groups?

Gameplay

10 replies to this topic

#1 XXXXX-SNIPERWARRIOR-ONLINE-XXXXX

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 02:49 PM

Today, we just got a few matches that looks really strange - some players who are clearly in tier 5 were put in a match against those best players. I am not sure if I have seen that before (pre September patch).

Not complaining/QQing, but some interesting observations.

For example, this match:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And this one as well
Posted Image
Posted Image

I assume that the MM is trying to find a team based on the member with the highest tier, but this result might ruin everyone's experience.

Edited by XXXXX-FULLY-AUTOMATED-BOT-XXXXXX, 28 September 2022 - 03:04 PM.

#2 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 28 September 2022 - 02:57 PM

Yep, this happens sometimes when there arent enough players to fill out a match.

#3 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 September 2022 - 06:11 PM

This is why adding group queue to the main quickplay was bad.. i will never change my views on that, its basically a population killer at this point, why start a new game to get farmed and smashed to pieces over and over, it doesn't give you a chance to get better if you are farmed 24/7 new players will just leave.. And yes this is happening a lot.

Queue incoming veteran seal clubbers to pounce on me lol to tell me how wrong i am haha

#4 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 28 September 2022 - 06:52 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 28 September 2022 - 06:11 PM, said:

This is why adding group queue to the main quickplay was bad.. i will never change my views on that, its basically a population killer at this point, why start a new game to get farmed and smashed to pieces over and over, it doesn't give you a chance to get better if you are farmed 24/7 new players will just leave.. And yes this is happening a lot.

Queue incoming veteran seal clubbers to pounce on me lol to tell me how wrong i am haha

The newer players spend most of their time facing other players of a similar skill though. Except that one time the developers broke the MM.

#5 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:05 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 28 September 2022 - 06:52 PM, said:

The newer players spend most of their time facing other players of a similar skill though. Except that one time the developers broke the MM.

No they don't.. As some one who has spent a fair bit of time in tiers 4 and 5 they get farmed a lot, and as soon as the cadet disappears they are smashed.

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:03 PM

to OP, the players you singled out are probably in a group and got dragged up by their higher-tier compagnons.

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:59 PM

1st game there are also three ~80 percentile players doing 40,71,27 dmg which shouldn't happen either.

View PostNomad Tech, on 28 September 2022 - 07:05 PM, said:

No they don't.. As some one who has spent a fair bit of time in tiers 4 and 5 they get farmed a lot, and as soon as the cadet disappears they are smashed.

Screens my good man, give screenshots. in this case potatoes got dragged into higher tier match because of THEIR OWN groups. but tier1 groups getting dragged into lowtier match happening a lot.

#8 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 September 2022 - 12:29 AM

What's not clear from this is if the grouped players are actually tier 1 - did anyone check their stats? Even at tier 5 a group of mechs can get lucky and dominate the match, especially if they have comms and work together.

Edit - after a quick trip to Jarl's:

Oh yeah, Extra_Better and Valk1r are top 500 players, there's absolutely no way they should be playing against someone like JDW1

Match maker is broken

Edited by Dogstar, 30 September 2022 - 12:38 AM.

#9 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 01:53 AM

View PostDogstar, on 30 September 2022 - 12:29 AM, said:

What's not clear from this is if the grouped players are actually tier 1 - did anyone check their stats? Even at tier 5 a group of mechs can get lucky and dominate the match, especially if they have comms and work together.

Edit - after a quick trip to Jarl's:

Oh yeah, Extra_Better and Valk1r are top 500 players, there's absolutely no way they should be playing against someone like JDW1

Match maker is broken

He is most likely in group with higher tier player, Most likely with Paladin knight 93% or Mr Noway 95% does MM take group elo from their average or highest, cannot remember. But this is the reason why he is in the game most likely.

Team one vs Team two
overall not that huge percentile difference for teams, retired, unranked and 1 name OPs superlong name is masking no doesn't show on those but still.

#10 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 September 2022 - 01:54 AM

View PostCurccu, on 28 September 2022 - 09:59 PM, said:

1st game there are also three ~80 percentile players doing 40,71,27 dmg which shouldn't happen either.

Screens my good man, give screenshots. in this case potatoes got dragged into higher tier match because of THEIR OWN groups. but tier1 groups getting dragged into lowtier match happening a lot.

Yes screens would be great but even if i do you guys pick them apart, that said you explain perfectly why teams are bad in both scenarios.. As i said don't hate people enjoying a game together but its how this game works and is broken by groups that is the issue.

Edited by Nomad Tech, 30 September 2022 - 01:55 AM.

#11 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:30 AM

We've been told before that PGI put safeties in MM to keep people from waiting too long to get into a match. They kick in and reduce the filtering between tiers at times and you get mixes. It can't be avoided and you will see this some of the time, whenever someone waits too long. In the last 48 hours 840 players was the max number seen across N. America, Europe, and Oceanic on Steam.

If for the sake of argument that entire 840 players was playing on N.American servers, that is 35 Matches running. With people people playing active matches that are unable to join, its way too possible for people to wait too long, the safeties kick in and you end up mixing tiers. Pair that down to 100 players (4 matches and people waiting) Oceanic, 250 players (10 matches running and people waiting) Europe, and 490 (20 matches and people waiting) in N. America. That is at the very peak of players, maybe an hours worth of time? It averages closer to 425ish.

PGI has said repeatedly the population of players is too low to properly balance matches by PSR all the time. It really is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users