16 replies to this topic

#1 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 15 October 2022 - 06:31 PM

Over the last few days I have been in matches that have used lots of missiles. I am tired of getting rained on! I am looking for some builds with at least 3 AMS node and still has some firepower. I have tried the Kitfox - C with 3 AMS and 3 heavy medium lasers (energy mounts are so low on this mech!) and the Pir - A with 4 AMS, 2 er micro lasers and 4 machineguns (AMS works great, but the damage output is sorely lacking!)

Are there other mechs that I can consider or other builds for these 2 mechs?

Thanks for your help!

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:02 PM

1. Another is 3xAMD Nova medium mech, need to mix/match its omnipods...

But my question is why you want 2x or 3x AMS?
Lots of Lights run without any AMS (and your AMS might give away your location if you're trying to stalk your prey)...

2. Goto MechDB 2.0, toggle AMS to 2x, 3x, or even 4x to see which mechs have these multiple AMS hardpoints...
Clan Omnimechs obviously can mix/match torso parts for more AMS hardpoints...

3. Your Light mech is more than fast enough to run behind cover, and nowadays it's much easier to reach 100% Radar Deprivation in this new 2022 Skill Tree than before...

AMS is purely "optional" IMHO...

Edited by w0qj, 15 October 2022 - 10:27 PM.

#3 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 15 October 2022 - 08:26 PM

I was getting bombarded by missiles while in my Crusader, not my lights. I changed to the lights BECAUSE of the missiles. I wanted to support the other mechs that were getting torn apart. I just want a mech that can also do some damage, because if the enemy doesn't have missiles, an AMS mech is little better than a paperweight. Unfortunately, half of my matches there were little to no missiles, so my score suffered drastically. I am finding hard to find a balance between the two; AMS & DPS.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 08:34 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 15 October 2022 - 08:26 PM, said:

I was getting bombarded by missiles while in my Crusader, not my lights. I changed to the lights BECAUSE of the missiles. I wanted to support the other mechs that were getting torn apart. I just want a mech that can also do some damage, because if the enemy doesn't have missiles, an AMS mech is little better than a paperweight. Unfortunately, half of my matches there were little to no missiles, so my score suffered drastically. I am finding hard to find a balance between the two; AMS & DPS.

Just take COR-7A Corsair. I think that it should be sufficient for your needs - with four AMS.

#5 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 11:29 PM

+1
COR-7A(P) with 4xAMS is one of the mechs I'm planning to play, from the 2022 Annual (Loyalty) Rewards!
(The other mechs I'm very interested in are: CRD-6T(P), and SNS-D(P) !)

But COR-7A with 4xAMS is also about protecting your Team immediately around you...

One other mech with 2xAMS that protect itself is: MAD-6S(P), and 1ton AMS ammo usually is enough for QP...
Just yesterday I was in my MAD-6S(P) on Tourmaline Desert QP, enemy Timber Wolf poped up UAV near me, started focus lobbing LRM from the below horizontal ledge at me... AMS protected me from excessive armor damage, my MAD-6S used JJ over this small horizontal ledge to surprise Timber Wolf; Solo Kill Posted Image

(Of course, you can use the Standard Variant of above mechs as well, sans the CBills bonus!)

Edited by w0qj, 15 October 2022 - 11:46 PM.

#6 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:15 PM

Nova S with -A side torsos and 3xAMS. You can pack a decent amount of firepower into the arms. I'm not saying the Corsair is bad per se, but it's bloody slow. You'll have a lot more survivability on a Nova.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:57 PM

View PostHorseman, on 26 October 2022 - 11:15 PM, said:

Nova S with -A side torsos and 3xAMS. You can pack a decent amount of firepower into the arms. I'm not saying the Corsair is bad per se, but it's bloody slow. You'll have a lot more survivability on a Nova.

However, the Corsair carries 250 points more of armor and has stronger internal structure than the Nova.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:28 AM

You’ll have a lot of options if you consider a dual AMS build. My personal favorites are the Stalker5S and the Jester.

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 October 2022 - 10:04 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 15 October 2022 - 08:26 PM, said:

There's a reason you see LRMs and ATMs only occasionally; they're generally inferior to direct-fire weapons except under their ideal circumstances, where they can rain away at something that can't get into cover. Experienced players tend to shy away from missiles, so most of us just give up AMS entirely and use cover to neutralize the weapon system. I think the damage reduction that AMS applies for 1.5 tons is generally underrated, though; you don't have to have enough AMS to neutralize every missile for some AMS to be worthwhile if there are missiles - but at the same time, AMS does announce your position to the sky whenever it's used.

As an alternative to focusing on AMS, consider ECM. Every ECM 'mech should have all the ECM nodes in the sensor skill section (and one Radar Deprivation,) then build normally. This will allow you to use ECM to protect your teammates from explosive rain, while at the same time granting advantages that have nothing to do with missiles.

Edit: Clarification - I mean we shy away from lock-on missiles. Dumbfire missiles like SRMs and MRMs are great bread-and-butter weapons for short- and mid-range builds.

Edited by Void Angel, 27 October 2022 - 08:44 PM.

#10 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 05:21 PM

Those who have successfully taken part in the 2022 MWO Comp, would qualify for the STK-5S(CS) with CBills bonus ;)

I'm excited in anticipation of this mech, as I've missed this mech being not around for previous MWO Comp!

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 27 October 2022 - 03:28 AM, said:

You’ll have a lot of options if you consider a dual AMS build. My personal favorites are the Stalker5S and the Jester.

#11 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:03 PM

Spend skill points on Radar.D and learn to use terrain for drop LOS... On new mechs, my first points goes towards Radar.D. I dont max it out but usually get 60%. Lower tiers tend to see more missiles than the upper tiers.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 October 2022 - 03:25 AM

View Postmartian, on 26 October 2022 - 11:57 PM, said:

However, the Corsair carries 250 points more of armor and has stronger internal structure than the Nova.

In raw HP yes, but it's countered by its' greater bulk, top-heavy profile and vastly reduced ability to remove itself from enemy lines of fire.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 03:57 AM

View PostHorseman, on 28 October 2022 - 03:25 AM, said:

In raw HP yes, but it's countered by its' greater bulk, top-heavy profile and vastly reduced ability to remove itself from enemy lines of fire.

Of course it has a greater bulk - after all, the Corsair is an assault 'Mech that requires a different playstyle. With the large engine it can move up to 58 km/h (although usually less) and this speed is nothing unusual among assault 'Mechs.

The OP has mentioned twice his request for a 'Mech that packs "firepower" and can dish out "some damage". Depending on the exact loadout, the Corsair offers 40+ tons of tonnage for weapons - the Nova offers about about 12 tons of pod space (with those AMS equipped).

#14 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 April 2023 - 07:41 PM

oh how i love raining down on all those "elite" players who refuse to use AMS but then cry about being hit by LRM. also remember that AMS also takes out NARC, and all other missile types (though to a lesser degree the shorter their range and higher their velocity.) i almost always carry at least one with 1/2t ammo if i have the 1 ton and space to spare. L-AMS if i have 1 1/2 ton and the mech doesn't run to hot.

my Corsair-7A carries 2 L-AMS and 2 ballistic AMS (i tried all 4 L-AMS but it ran to hot considering that my 7A runs 2 RAC/5 and 4 MLs.)

all i can say is that if you are getting rained on and don't carry AMS don't *****, thats on you.

#15 The Will of The Way

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 10:09 AM

even with 3 ams and an ecm, the Kitfox can carry enough heavy machine guns and lasers to dish out a fair amount of damage as well. don;t forgot it's an omni mech, so you can just switch parts out if you need more hardpoints for weapons.

#16 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 16 June 2023 - 06:02 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 19 April 2023 - 07:41 PM, said:

oh how i love raining down on all those "elite" players who refuse to use AMS but then cry about being hit by LRM. also remember that AMS also takes out NARC, and all other missile types (though to a lesser degree the shorter their range and higher their velocity.) i almost always carry at least one with 1/2t ammo if i have the 1 ton and space to spare. L-AMS if i have 1 1/2 ton and the mech doesn't run to hot.

my Corsair-7A carries 2 L-AMS and 2 ballistic AMS (i tried all 4 L-AMS but it ran to hot considering that my 7A runs 2 RAC/5 and 4 MLs.)

all i can say is that if you are getting rained on and don't carry AMS don't *****, thats on you.

I love the Corsair 7A, hands down my favourite IS assault mech due to the high mounts.

I never put AMS on it and i never die to LRMs. Part of that is LRMs being very rare in T1, but the reason for that is that they are easy to counter by positioning near sensible vertical cover.. and cover is free, unlike quad AMS which uses 5-6 slots and 3-4 tons that are better spent on DHS or ammo.

#17 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 06:24 AM

Try MechDB 2.0 website:
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechs

Click [AMS] and select 1/2/3/4 AMS hardpoints, and it will show you both IS+Clan mechs with that number of AMS!

~Quick question, which mech has 4x AMS hardpoints and with lots of weapon hardpoints leftover?
A) COR-7A (as above folks have said), and
B ) PIR-A with 4xAMS, lots of ballistic + energy hardpoints! (bet you missed this one too--as I've missed it also).

============================
MAD-6S: 2xAMS + AC20 + 3x SNPPC (ouch!), and goes at 60kph!

There's also a Platinum Collection MAD-6S(P) with +30% CBills bonus too Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 16 June 2023 - 06:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users