Hard Drive Died

2 replies to this topic

#1 DeanWinchester2072

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationLebanon, Kansas

Posted 17 October 2022 - 05:26 PM

So the hard drive that the game and the installer were on waas on a hard drive that bit the dust.

Now, I cant uninstall MWO because it looks to the drive thats dead to uninstall it, and the installer says the game is already installed and quits. What do I do?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 October 2022 - 04:30 AM

From 2020 by editing the the registry. Another option would be to install Steam then install MWO that route. Use 3rd party uninstaller/registry cleaning program if hesitate with manually editing your registry, use as Revo, IObit Uninstaller, CCleaner or Geek Uninstall.

https://mwomercs.com...-drive-failure/

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 October 2022 - 04:37 AM.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 23 October 2022 - 02:39 AM

View PostDeanWinchester2072, on 17 October 2022 - 05:26 PM, said:

So the hard drive that the game and the installer were on waas on a hard drive that bit the dust.

Now, I cant uninstall MWO because it looks to the drive thats dead to uninstall it, and the installer says the game is already installed and quits. What do I do?

Pardon me, but is there any chance you backed up everything which was on that drive at any point in the past? If so, you can restore that drive image to new hardware which provides similar capacity as long as it can successfully unpack all the data in the backup file. Doing so would then allow you to simply run the MWO Repair Tool to catch up and resume playing, along with recovering any data that you lost which was contained in the backup at the time it had been made. :mellow:

If you do not have the aforementioned backup image however, then you'll probably end up following 'Tarl Cabot's instructions above and hope all goes well for you. Oh, and if you have "MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries" installed, make sure you're not killing any of its' Registry Keys in the process of fixing your MWO-related issues. Otherwise, you'll have even more problems later on! :(

~D. V. "really hopes you have a backup of an earlier MWO install state to restore on new storage media" Devnull

[Edit by the Posting Author for a small forgotten thought.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 23 October 2022 - 02:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users