Unified Waiting Queue

2 replies to this topic

#1 arrowd

• Pip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:26 AM

I have an idea on improving both waiting time and quality of match making.

The user prepares a deck for Faction Play and select sponsors/divisions in Solaris. Then it clicks "Play" and the game server will put it on Quick Play, Faction Play and Solaris queues simultaneosly. The user may select which game modes should be excluded.

I believe that Faction Play and Solaris aren't popular because of long waiting times. And while waiting for a FP or S7 match you can't play QP too, so the player just loses its time.

This might look complex to implement, however if I understand it right, the task boils down to optimization problem which can be solved by a contemporary SMT solver.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 05:52 AM

View Postarrowd, on 23 November 2022 - 03:26 AM, said:

I have an idea on improving both waiting time and quality of match making.

The user prepares a deck for Faction Play and select sponsors/divisions in Solaris. Then it clicks "Play" and the game server will put it on Quick Play, Faction Play and Solaris queues simultaneosly. The user may select which game modes should be excluded.

In my opinion, many players do not play the Faction Play (and Solaris 7 in the past) simply because they do not like this game mode.

Giving them the option to play these game modes without changing those game modes itself (and I am talking about a very deep change) would not change much.

I believe that Faction Play and Solaris aren't popular because of long waiting times. And while waiting for a FP or S7 match you can't play QP too, so the player just loses its time.

I think that you got it backwards: The FP and S7 aren't popular because of long waiting times - they are unpopular because they suck, thus they do not have many players, and therefore they have long waiting times.

This might look complex to implement, however if I understand it right, the task boils down to optimization problem which can be solved by a contemporary SMT solver.

The current PGI's MWO staff consist of just a few people. I am not sure if using the PGI's very limited resources for such endeavour would be a wise choice.

#3 arrowd

• Pip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 06:11 AM

I think that you got it backwards: The FP and S7 aren't popular because of long waiting times - they are unpopular because they suck, thus they do not have many players, and therefore they have long waiting times.

There is little sense in making assumptions without poll results that are statistically sound. However, unifying the queue wouldn't do any harm, but have a chance to improve things.

The current PGI's MWO staff consist of just a few people. I am not sure if using the PGI's very limited resources for such endeavour would be a wise choice.

Sure thing. I'm just using this forum section for what it is intended.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users