Best Mechs To Play On A Laggy Old Laptop?

12 replies to this topic

#1 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 December 2022 - 03:21 AM

It may sound like a silly question, but due to life circumstances I'm stuck with an old laptop, and playing big stompy robots every now and then is one of the few things that cheer me up these days.
I'm running with the lowest graphics settings, FPS is in the 20s but it's perfectly playable half the time. Another half the time, though, it's dropping hard, and I find that my performance is sub-par even in the mechs that I loved the most and thought they were easy to play when I've had a big monitor and a powerful PC. I was in the middle of tier 3, and now I'm near the bottom after just a couple dozen battles.

So my question is: what mechs are less sensitive to FPS drops? If there is such a thing at all. Obviously, anything for high-paced close-up aggressive play is off the table, but that was never my forte even in the better days. I'm struggling even with LRM boats, lock acquisition feels sluggish :(

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 03:29 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 04 December 2022 - 03:21 AM, said:

It may sound like a silly question, but due to life circumstances I'm stuck with an old laptop, and playing big stompy robots every now and then is one of the few things that cheer me up these days.
I'm running with the lowest graphics settings, FPS is in the 20s but it's perfectly playable half the time. Another half the time, though, it's dropping hard, and I find that my performance is sub-par even in the mechs that I loved the most and thought they were easy to play when I've had a big monitor and a powerful PC. I was in the middle of tier 3, and now I'm near the bottom after just a couple dozen battles.

So my question is: what mechs are less sensitive to FPS drops? If there is such a thing at all. Obviously, anything for high-paced close-up aggressive play is off the table, but that was never my forte even in the better days. I'm struggling even with LRM boats, lock acquisition feels sluggish Posted Image

LRMs behaviour has been adjusted (in many respects, nerfed).

Another thing is that the more missiles are in the air, the harder your laptop has to work and the more pronounced the FPS drop is.

#3 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:30 AM

View Postmartian, on 04 December 2022 - 03:29 AM, said:

LRMs behaviour has been adjusted (in many respects, nerfed).

Oh! I was wondering about that, thank you very much for the info. Do you recall when it happened? I would like to find the patch notes.

Good point about the number of missiles in flight, I didn't consider that at all. So smaller mechs might be fine, or those that only use LRMs as a complementary weapon (fewer tubes). I'm not at all set on playing just LRMs, I was just impressed by how hard I suddenly suck with them.

Edited by DavidStarr, 04 December 2022 - 04:33 AM.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:33 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 04 December 2022 - 04:30 AM, said:

Oh! I was wondering about that, thank you very much for the info. Do you recall when did it happen? I would like to find the patch notes.

Maybe ... dunno ... two years ago?

#5 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:44 AM

Sounds about right, I haven't actively played for a couple years.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:47 AM

Good point about the number of missiles in flight, I didn't consider that at all. So smaller mechs might be fine, or those that only use LRMs as a complementary weapon (fewer tubes). I'm not at all set on playing just LRMs, I was just impressed by how hard I suddenly suck with them.

Please note that your laptop must render not only your missiles, but all other missiles. LRMS-heavy games with lots of missiles often result in FPS drop.

#7 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:55 AM

New Skill Tree (2022) makes it much easier to achieve 100% Radar Deprivation, and there are a lot more ECM mechs in QP nowadays, making LRM lock-on that much harder to come by. (Especially ECM in Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf, UrbanMech).

Anyways, patch notes affecting LRM are:
Aug 2022
Apr 2022
Jan 2022
Sept 2021

Sources:
https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes
https://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes

Oh! I was wondering about that, thank you very much for the info. Do you recall when it happened? I would like to find the patch notes.

Edited by w0qj, 04 December 2022 - 05:21 AM.

#8 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 December 2022 - 06:04 AM

View Postw0qj, on 04 December 2022 - 04:55 AM, said:

Awesome, thanks for compiling the list for me!

#9 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 December 2022 - 11:59 AM

Speaking of computer lag...

Surely your computer is (much) faster than computer CPU from 9 years ago!!
MWO performance depend on your CPU speed; heard that MWO does not use GPU...

Anyways, for FPS drops my computer lags when under dakka fire (like RAC2 or continuous UAC2 fire),
and below MWO shader and other optimization really helped! I swear by this!

- - - - - - - - - -
MrVaad's MWOconfig Cryengine Config Editor for MWO
http://mwomercs.com/...-editor-for-mwo
http://github.com/MrVaad/MWOConfig

Good luck!

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 04 December 2022 - 06:04 AM, said:

Awesome, thanks for compiling the list for me!

The higher you move above Tier 3, the less and less useful guided missiles are.

And since many players got ECM-equipped Daishi yesterday ... using guided missiles is going to be even more difficult than it used to be. Posted Image

#11 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:22 PM

Right now I'm moving from T3 to T4, so not the biggest concern :) I'm not just boating missiles and nothing else, though. I like ballistic weapons, too, with lasers in the third place. I guess it's only PPCs that I don't really play (and the new stuff like MRM / ATM).

#12 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:43 PM

w0qjI swear by this! - - - - - - - - - - MrVaad's MWOconfig Cryengine Config Editor for MWO [url=" said:

Amazing, just what I was looking for, thanks a lot!
P. S. My laptop is actually 9 years old, and the CPU model itself is from late 2011.

#13 Storky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 905 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:38 AM

Try streak-poptart builds on medium mechs. In 2020 it was very beneficial on laggy PC + solid damage of 700+, many wins, and much fun killing mechs above 60t. By gameplay, it's like an old-school poptart

Btw, since 2020 such builds haven't been significantly buffed by quirks. When you needed 3 salvos to kill Pirahna, nowadays you need 5. And if ECM is near, you simply can't shoot

Edited by Storky, 21 April 2023 - 10:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users