Mechwarrior 5 Vr ?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 09:29 PM

Hello, i recently have watched some VR games (i dont have VR but you can watch them) and i heard some People who played MW5 with the inofficical VR mod being more than delighted with the impression difference VR makes in MW5.

I remember that MW2 was the game that most 3D GPUs back in that time came with and how it promoted 3D GPUs as well as Mechwarrior games.

Would it that bad of an idea to partner with the VR industry and develop MW5 as VR game that comes with every VR Headset and promote that way VR as well as Mechwarrior?

The VR market imho is still underdeveloped and should offer some chances there...

The way the controls would have to work would probably the biggest issue as you would need complex multifunction/multibutton controlers that have all necesssary controls available to them.

Imho MW is an excellent franchise for VR gaming and it should be looked into!

Happy Holidays and a great 2023!

Edited by Thorqemada, 25 December 2022 - 09:29 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 08:15 PM

i played it on the quest 2 with the vr mod.

#3 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 08:14 PM

You can do the majority of the functions on a normal controller, haven't monkeyed with VR but I would suspect that some of the controls could just be built in to respond to voice commands. - Commanding teammates, calling for strikes, switching vision - really leaves you needing two analog movement and 6 weapons buttons. Maybe an interact button I suppose. Not really sure what else you'd want to have other than cruise control maybe when you pilot the walking simulator mechs.

Not sure I'd be able to stomach it myself though, having free pilot camera plus torso plus movement - plus those f'n anti drop ship cannons.... probably would puke at least once.

I just finished up the main campaign and still amazed that they managed to produce a complete game that was mostly quite fun other than dealing with the dumb ai and a couple missions they didn't explain (that I saw) why you were mass bombarded by trash mobs.

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:43 PM

i find vr isnt nearly as nauseating for sit down games. stand up games there is significant acclimatization. i almost fell on my *** a couple times.

had vr been a thing in my 20s, id probibly use my headset instead of leave it in a drawer for months at a time.

it does improve immersion, as its like i have to put my neurohelmet on before battle.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 January 2023 - 01:51 PM.

#5 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:42 AM

In a Mech you would play it like Elite Dangerous - you sit and it is your Neurohelmet :)

#6 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:24 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 January 2023 - 01:43 PM, said:

stand up games there is significant acclimatization. i almost fell on my *** a couple times.

People probably officially should have their own padded rooms for VR stand up for their own safety. Two places at once has never been good.

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 11:49 AM

View PostSomersetStriker, on 19 January 2023 - 10:24 AM, said:

People probably officially should have their own padded rooms for VR stand up for their own safety. Two places at once has never been good.

i dont even have space for stand up games, really. one day i moved a bunch of furniture around and only managed an 8x8 play area. was enough to play galaxies edge, at least till you pull something trying to do a duck and shoot fight.

View PostThorqemada, on 17 January 2023 - 10:42 AM, said:

In a Mech you would play it like Elite Dangerous - you sit and it is your Neurohelmet Posted Image

used to play classic dos elite a lot. but i have a hard time staying interested in ed. you just have to play it a lot to get anywhere, which makes it really exhausting to play in vr,

finally got the mw5 vr mod to work, but it took so long to get working i didn't have any time left to play any games. and i cant get it to play nice with yaml either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users