Social General Gameplay

60 replies to this topic

#1 Nakl

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:24 PM

Has anyone else heard much more anti-trans talk in voice chat since Christmas? I do tend to run mech color schemes in the colors of the trans flag, so maybe it's just me triggering folk with my presence, but I mean... really?

And I'm not talking about children; if they are children, they have the voice of full-grown folk.

It's getting to the point that I don't log in unless my unit mates pull me in from other games, and even then, it wears really thin really fast.

#2 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:27 PM

I dunno man, I haven't heard anything.

#3 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:27 PM

I don't log in enough to confirm this, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There's lots of good people in this community, but it skews older, and slightly more conservative, and a select few among them really like to share "opinions" that they would be better off keeping to themselves.

Sorry to hear its discouraging you. I don't blame you at all for feeling that way.

#4 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:30 PM

Every once and a while I'll here something in the voice chat that's not very nice so I just hit the ole mute button. Most of the time it fine though.

#5 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 January 2023 - 10:29 PM

I don't care if an adult wants to pretend they are something they are not but its not really appropriate to bring it up around kids and this game has underage players. So trans or anti trans keep it to yourself at least in the game. Take it to social media if you want a dust up.

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:05 PM

Aren't you trying to start discussions? People usually wear topics they want to talk about.

#7 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:26 PM

Lets not remind weak minded people why internet is considered a hostile place for certain "unique" individuals...

Edit: i dont think i ever encountered racistic, "antiuniqistic" or xenophobic behaviour in 9 years of playing this game. The core community is actually pretty decent in this matter. You might wanna reach t3 - t1 to reach them though.

Edited by MechB Kotare, 10 January 2023 - 11:39 PM.

#8 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:47 PM

Yeah been playing since beta and other than some salty voip every now and then over stupid teams doing stupid things its been pretty damn civil. Especially given that we have a very wide range of races and cultures playing the game and some of them don't get along all that well outside of the game. Driving big stompy mechs and raining down fire and destruction seems to be a universal pleasure.

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:09 AM

Trains have flags ??

who knew

#10 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:26 AM

I don't think this is the place to talk about this...

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:33 AM

If you encounter any kind of harassment, just report and move on.

#12 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:54 AM

I play often- I never hear any of what you mention...salty people calling their team mates all kinds of names, yes...but it doesn't have anything to do with your orientation.

#13 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:04 AM

View PostNakl, on 10 January 2023 - 09:24 PM, said:

..... I do tend to run mech color schemes in the colors of the trans flag,.....

View Postpbiggz, on 10 January 2023 - 09:27 PM, said:

.....and a select few among them really like to share "opinions" .....

Not to play devils advocate here but these are really two of the same thing aren't they?

That's not to say that anybody deserves to be picked on or crapped on because they absolutely don't.

But good for you OP for recognizing that there are triggers for certain @holes.

As someone else said, report and move on. You definitely aren't going to change peoples hearts on MWO's battlefield.

Edited by Stab Wound, 11 January 2023 - 06:07 AM.

#14 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:20 AM

Do you lot agree on a quarterly rota of thread posting or something? Just to remind everyone that you exist, along with every other sort of person who presumably has very little issue in game? I have to say, the only mention I hear of trans people is when someone complains that the community is somehow against them. Then we get the inevitable 'that's to be expected because Mechwarrior fans are older'. As a person nearing my 40s I have to say that I care less about the minutae of who a person is and where they come from, not more. Also, in before the lock.

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:44 AM

Anything you don't want to hear in voice chat... right click and mute. Plus report if you think its noxious enough, doesn't matter the subject.

Otherwise yeah. To paraphrase my pastor friend: "I don't talk video games in church and I don't talk church in video games."

#16 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:01 AM

View PostNakl, on 10 January 2023 - 09:24 PM, said:

Has anyone else heard much more anti-trans talk in voice chat since Christmas? I do tend to run mech color schemes in the colors of the trans flag, so maybe it's just me triggering folk with my presence, but I mean... really?

And I'm not talking about children; if they are children, they have the voice of full-grown folk.

It's getting to the point that I don't log in unless my unit mates pull me in from other games, and even then, it wears really thin really fast.

1 what do you think constitutes, and/or what exactly do you mean when you say "anti trans talk"? please remember someone simply having a different point of view is exactly that, and everyone is entitled to their point of view, yourself included. I play muted most of the time. so, no I don't hear anything hardly ever.

2 don't know, I play with sound muted most of the time, you know squeakers and something about my mom?

3 don't let others control you, no one can control you without your consent (in any free country at least). if you are feeling bullied or singled out, don't let other peoples behavior affect yours, only you can choose your behavior and attitude, if you let others affect your behavior, then they win, because you have given them control over you.

I would recommend the following reading

https://www.sirlin.net/ptw

please consider, MWO is a competitive online game. In many competitive games, a strategy to win is to unnerve your opponent so you gain psychological the edge over them. this is used in all sorts of sports and is an accepted strategy, you can try to police it, but people will always find a way to get under your skin one way or another.

And in many ways competitive thinking is as applicable to life as it is to sport. And it could be argued that to become the better player, the pursuit of excellence in the game, is a worthwhile endevour if only because you can apply those lessons in real life as well.

I would advise to not worry about the things you cannot control, all that will be accomplished is stress and worry. But there are a great many things you can control and change.

lastly i would advise once again, don't let others control you with their behavior.

#17 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

In the almost 2 years I have been playing I have not heard anything anti or pro lgbtq in game.

If you fly your flag, expect people to say things. Good or bad. Comes with the territory of waving it.

Gotta have a thick skin, hate to say it but not everyone, no matter where you go is going just welcome it and be accepting.

When I wear my Slayer "God hates us all" T-shirt out, I expect reactions. It's fun. Doesn't bother me one bit when bible thumpers feel the need to come up to me and say "I'll pray for you" or that I'm some evil person that needs saved.... blah blah etc....

Edited by Rondoe, 11 January 2023 - 10:21 AM.

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:24 PM

there are lots of trans people who play mwo. some of them are even good at it. im generally ok with them (and anyone else) up until they do crazy woke mob things. true progressives don't try to burn down the world, but to improve it.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 January 2023 - 10:24 PM.

#19 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 08:43 AM

I think you have difference of opinion and "anti" w.e speech mixed up. Also Ive never heard any of what you are saying is happening.

#20 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 12 January 2023 - 09:19 AM

Brightly colored targets make the best targets.
Try not drawing attention to your mech.
That's probably 97.5% of the issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users