The Niche Game Video That Attracts Half A Million Views

19 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 04:29 PM

Splattercatgaming:
The Sandbox Game That Is Actively Sabotaging My Life - YouTube

Maybe niche growth is about reaching out to the channels that have successfull grown views instead to the channels that stay niche in the niche?!

Edited by Thorqemada, 12 January 2023 - 10:48 PM.

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 January 2023 - 04:45 PM

Yeah this would be awesome and very very cost efficient too. I have been exposed to so many cool games via these type of streamers that I would never have been exposed to since they have little or no marketing. This would work for mwo too in that they could create some press accounts with all mechs and skill trees unlocked so that the reviewers could easily get a grasp of the game and not have to spend any time grinding. Just hop in and play whatever.

#3 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 07:53 PM

And then they learn that the company has already decided that they are going to no longer be actively developing the game any more other than creating new store items/a couple maps and make that an even more widely known thing.

Would definitely be a good way to go should they choose to make the next iteration.

Also splattercat is generally pretty entertaining to watch/listen to, most of the mechwarrior streamers really are not unless your really into the game/ip.

#4 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 07:16 AM

If Steamcharts is worth anything there must be sort of a resurgence of MW5 as they almost reached the initial releaseday numbers.

And another MW-Game is in the making according to Russ...

Lord of the Rings is patheticly dead in the water, probably MWO has more players...

Honestly, i played it a while bcs some of our guild members were fans of the books (the movies leave quite a lot out) to an almost religious level, though the fears that a lore as detailed and developed would restrict a game to much came true!

There is no freedom to create anything that is not in the book, a backbone of mmos, the mage classes, are so restricted they are not even real mages bcs there are only the few godlike ones and nothing else in the lore.

That shots itself into the knee b4 big way - an example of an IP that does not make good mmos!

Edited by Thorqemada, 02 February 2023 - 03:56 PM.

#5 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 04:31 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 February 2023 - 07:16 AM, said:

though the fears that a lore as detailed and developed would restrict a game to much came true!

There is no freedom to create anything that is not in the book,

I mean some of us have been saying the same thing about this game, sometimes you have to break from canon for the good of the game and community development/retention. Granted this game is far more arcade than a MechWarrior title probably should be, they stuck hard to a lot of the weapon stats where they should have been more worried about balance and function in a pvp game.

On splattercat, I get the impression that he does have some prior interest in the ip with some of his discussion during that video - but these are exactly the kind of players you want to have streaming your game a couple times a month. They understand streaming as a model, are generally quite entertaining even when they are playing bad games as well and for the most part you don't see them trying to build their support via playing the peak meta and showing how great they are - they tend to be quite entertained being mid-level players in most of the games they play/actually part of the community of players they are streaming for/with.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 04:36 PM

I do not remember who it was but while developing Mechwarrior and Battletech someone said it would not be a canon purist approach but a reimagination and exactly that is needed - a sensible and smart reimagination!

Bcs you can only tanslate a Tabletop Game in its Spirit into a Computer Game!

Edited by Thorqemada, 02 February 2023 - 04:37 PM.

#7 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:28 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 February 2023 - 07:16 AM, said:

Lord of the Rings is patheticly dead in the water, probably MWO has more players...

Honestly, i played it a while bcs some of our guild members were fans of the books (the movies leave quite a lot out) to an almost religious level, though the fears that a lore as detailed and developed would restrict a game to much came true!

There is no freedom to create anything that is not in the book, a backbone of mmos, the mage classes, are so restricted they are not even real mages bcs there are only the few godlike ones and nothing else in the lore.

That shots itself into the knee b4 big way - an example of an IP that does not make good mmos!

LMFAO, oh people have been saying LotRO is dead since it was a month old. I've been playing it for 15 years, actually longer because I beta tested it.

Just like any game, it's active numbers fluctuate up and down regularly. Lately the numbers have been rising, lots of new players coming along because of the show Rings of Power.

Also the activity level you see or don't see depends on what server you are playing. Yeah some servers are pretty dead, others can get pretty crowded depending on what time you play, to the point it can get pretty laggy.

It's still getting a lot of new content updates regularly, not just "hey look, new shinies, please come buy them"

I wonder why EG7 yanked most of PGI to work on it, it if is dead in the water?

One last thing. Not everyone plays everything through steam. Most of LotRO doesn't. So comparing activity on Steam isn't a good way to get data. I sure as heck don't play MWO through Steam.

Edited by Rondoe, 02 February 2023 - 05:40 PM.

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:40 PM

View PostRondoe, on 02 February 2023 - 05:28 PM, said:

I wonder why EG7 yanked most of PGI to work on it, it if is dead in the water?

"hey look, new shinies, please come buy them"

Would be my first thought. It's kind of PGI's thing at this point.

#9 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:44 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 February 2023 - 04:36 PM, said:

I do not remember who it was but while developing Mechwarrior and Battletech someone said it would not be a canon purist approach but a reimagination and exactly that is needed - a sensible and smart reimagination!

Bcs you can only tanslate a Tabletop Game in its Spirit into a Computer Game!

I've play a bit past the tutorial/beginning stages on the Battletech game, can't really get into it. The art is pretty decent though - for me it would make more sense to just have general battlefield control rather than the micro controls in that style of game. Maybe I'll dig it more as I poke along here and there though.

#10 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:45 PM

Well, according to all soures LOTRO lost 10k players the last 6 months, has less than 1k avg. on Steam and is 16 yrs old.

I understand you like the game, it has some strengths, i played it quite a while too, albeit its a zombie by now.

It lives on but is not alive!

Edited by Thorqemada, 02 February 2023 - 05:46 PM.

#11 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:50 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 February 2023 - 05:45 PM, said:

Well, according to all soures LOTRO lost 10k players the last 6 months, has less than 1k avg. on Steam and is 16 yrs old.

I understand you like the game, it has some strengths, i played it quite a while too, albeit its a zombie by now.

It lives on but is not alive!

Well you are entitled to your opinion, not going to argue that. What are your sources for your data? SSG doesn't release that information, ever. And like I said Steam numbers are not reliable since you can't access it's ingame store using the Steam launcher. It won't officially be 16 years old until May.

So think and believe what you want. I'm done here.

#12 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, Battletech is for the Micromanagement-Players.

Did you try Mods like BEX (Battletech Extended 3025 Commanders Edition)?
That one allows you to play the Campaign and mods the game in a very good way imho that expands the game but keeps its spirit.

The other mods that center more around increased and bigger firepower i never played as they do not allow to play the campaign.

I really think a grand strategy game could work if you introduce it in a sensible way with enough modularity to expand upon a good basic game foundation where the fights are fought a little like in the Mechcommander Intro with you as commander of the forces giving orders to your staff that control the smaller and bigger units.

View PostRondoe, on 02 February 2023 - 05:50 PM, said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion, not going to argue that. What are your sources for your data? SSG doesn't release that information, ever. And like I said Steam numbers are not reliable since you can't access it's ingame store using the Steam launcher. It won't officially be 16 years old until May.

So think and believe what you want. I'm done here.

MMO Stats and Steamchart i chose from the sources that google presented me.

Edited by Thorqemada, 02 February 2023 - 05:56 PM.

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 06:11 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 February 2023 - 05:54 PM, said:

Yeah, Battletech is for the Micromanagement-Players.

Did you try Mods like BEX (Battletech Extended 3025 Commanders Edition)?
That one allows you to play the Campaign and mods the game in a very good way imho that expands the game but keeps its spirit.

I had no idea there was mods, probably only like 3-4 missions in on the campaign, a couple after you start the merc part. anyhow. Probably ought to beat it like MW5 before I start looking at those, or at least far enough to properly figure out how the game more fully works (never played the actual TT, just some computer iterations).

Started a new career instead of the campaign in MW5 and that looks more interesting, guessing all those unit zones are new but maybe not I had only been jamming off the the campaign end until now. It's too bad they didn't make dlc to expand more into the periphery and those star league mechs.

#14 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 06:45 PM

There are as many mods for Battletech as for MW5, maybe more, i feel both games benefit greatly from them!

I am not sure but for MW5 Piratetech was afaik the source for many of the more obscure pirate weapons, tech and Mechs.
I guess it will cover to a certain degree stuff that is used on the edges of human colonization....

I got into Mechwarrior/Battletech via the first Mechwarrior Game and Crescent Hawks inception - so TT is allways an afterthought for me.
My father loved to read the Books though and so i could read most of them too and be intrigued by the game universe.

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 08:29 PM

I've read a bunch of the books as well, though I can't say they are as memorable as a lot of other sci-fi decent books though, was always more into more grounded scifi and some fantasy stuff like the Conan writings for fiction - Howard had a very particular way of looking at/describing the world which was always intriguing to me.

For MW5 I like the biomes mod, the yaml sets are okay - honestly they should have just built in an option to set that you could have a more expansive mechlab and built up on the sized hardpoint system. Yamls salvage system makes more sense too, it's just a memory hog and the salvage costs aren't adjusted well to compensate for the 80 options you end up with.

#16 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 10:28 PM

Pilot Overhaul is a good thing, TTrulezAI, Coyotes Mission Mod, etc.
I think Splattercat played the modded game and shows his mods at some point.

The BT Books. some are better, some are meh, i really like the Grey Death Legion and that stuff.

#17 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 09:27 AM

In the comments was the mod list of Splattecat while making the video:

PilotOverhaul
WAR_FX
Coyotesmission
Cockpit Glass
Yet Another Mechlab
TTRulez_AIMod2
Kh0rnsSoundmod
Yet Another Weapon
MW5 Compatibility Pack
ArmorGreen
Yet Another weapon Clan
HeatGauge

#18 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:48 AM

I'll check some more of those out.

#19 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 06:14 PM

Btw can you increase the number if Players of an older game by constantly nurturing it into a better state:
Conan Exiles - Steam Charts

Look at the complete bar and see a steady player increase!

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 07:57 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 17 February 2023 - 06:14 PM, said:

Btw can you increase the number if Players of an older game by constantly nurturing it into a better state:
Conan Exiles - Steam Charts

Look at the complete bar and see a steady player increase!

Really enjoyed that game until they switched to the console style fighting system, and then the update they made that removed the god mode for building in offline (that now requires you to buy a certain dlc to access apparently).

But it is similar in that it's a pretty niche market of survival game tied to an old IP, and last I looked they had like a dozen or so dlc updates - as in they are spending some money from those sales back into the game.

Your spot on though for both MWO and MW5, if they'd just keep working at the games on a consistent basis and realize that not everything has to be tied to a new mechpack they'd garner a lot more support for both.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users