Ain't 40 Mechs A Bit Of Overkill?

13 replies to this topic

#1 PancakeBunny

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 03:28 AM

We all know the leopard can only carry 4, and for gameplay reasons it's extrapolated to 12. I understand more mechs is kinda necessary cause of the hassle to refit mechs for low lvl missions, balance out the amount owned and needed for 3x/4x missions or speed related missions, but thats one of the cool management aspects of the game. 40 mechs will eliminate this aspect entirely and make it feel like a lazy and sloppy solution to a non huge of a deal... IMO 16 mechs is the sweet knowing that PGI wold never alocate the time and resources to give us, say, an union ship to justify the increased amount, and even with an union, to make it feel like it wasn't a lazy job, 18-20 should be the max, furthermore, we'll likely don't even need cold storage anymore, just keep everything cool active and sell the worthless... so this aspect is also taking a hit on balance along with economy, basically there will be no more assembling, refitting, upgrading, it's gonna be a one time deal and afterwards, only mission related repairs.

40 on a leopard is just going full yahoo idc mode.

Edited by PancakeBunny, 18 January 2023 - 04:04 AM.

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:32 AM

Well, if i play i play salvage only for Mech and Weapons and most equipment so no, 40 Mechs is not that much if they are in different states of reapair/disreapir Posted Image

PS: I buy usually only ammunition bcs i play usually with ammunition consumption and some freak equipment that i cant get from my salvage bcs they will never drop it for cantina missions.

Edited by Thorqemada, 19 January 2023 - 01:35 AM.

#3 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:05 PM

I played for about 2 hours this morning and went to sell salvaged mechs and had over 80 in there. You need to have sets available to run all the multi-mission, wouldn't be bothered if they just kept their loadout when put in storage but when you want to change zones and have to completely rebuild your entire set, skills and all, because your drop limit changed - that's a bad mechanic.

Why would you disassemble your mechs to store them? Could say to save weight, but you just store all the parts in some magical box of holding anyhow. Why would you wipe the computer systems and actuator modifications?

More active wasn't at all necessary, just keeping the loadouts and skills - which they could have just adopted from a mod and not had to spend any major amount of time coding or altering the ui and cost mechanics for.

Between that and not adopting, or at least building in the option for salvage and restoring instead of their short-sighted mech only salvage its just puzzling. - I can sort of see why they went the route they did for the main story, to keep it a tighter experience, but they should have been embracing the modders for expanding the product and making the post campaign loop interesting.

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, this hurts my soul. A Leopard simply can’t carry that many, and it’s supposedly so cramped that it’s maintenance facilities are limited.

HBS Battletech gets around this by never allowing more than 6 until you upgrade to having a larger ship to dock your Leopard to. But MW5 is just busting past all credibility. They shoulda modeled a Union class too.

#5 CommanderHunter5

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 04:52 PM

Scraplon, you goofy goober, it’s literally clarified in-game and in the Free Update Details that the Leopard only has 4 bays, all others are being housed in bays that Interstellar Expeditions houses, assumedly dropships that are attached to the JumpShip you use. Mech 5 is fine as far as credibility is concerned lmao

#6 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 05:03 PM

I don't understand. Big stompy machines with lasers and you want to have fun playing in menu's lol. Later at a restaurant: "I don't want to eat but I'm here only for the menu. Thank You." Posted Image

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:39 AM

Its not playing with the menus - its designing your meal like in Pizza Connection but with Mechs.

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:59 PM

I'm sure if you ask though, someone can make a hardcore mod that only allows you to have 4 mechs at any time with no cold storage and only enough item storage space for what you could actually fit on your ship.

#9 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:11 AM

yeah HBS did it far better. in their Battletech game early on you get this massive ship. its still small enough to dock with the Jumpship but big enough that it makes sense that you can store so much crap in and just load up your leopard with what you need for the drop since your command ship is not really capable of landing on the surface of a planet. (ok you find it on a low gravity moon but everyone in game questions weather or not it will be able to lift or not.). when you first get it the ship is barely space worthy and you spend C-Bills as you go to repair and upgrade its facilities (things like more drop decks, faster repairs, better crew accommodations and even recreational facilities.) not sure why PGI didn't even try for something like this.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 19 February 2023 - 08:11 AM.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 06:54 PM

considering how bloody expensive it is just to have a few more mechs, i very much doubt anyone will use all the slots and still manage to cover the cbills. with 4 lances, my operating costs are more than 2 million cbills a month. im strongly debating whether i want a 5th lance so i can keep some lights and mediums ready for when a mission requires speed.

it does mean you can sweep through conflict zones rather than have to go back to a hub every 3 or 4 missions. travel costs add up. but you still have to move around because every system only has 3 or so missions at any given time. the multi-mission campaigns are somewhat rare and you need to move around a lot to get them all. then of course your repair budgets will be astronomical. i have a feeling you would strike a point of diminishing returns if you seriously tried to fill all your bays.

all in all its an option to chose, and that's fine, and there are other things id rather see change so you don't have to spend so much time traveling:

more missions in conflict zones.
better equipment in more locations.
add transport costs to mission payouts.
better salvage/loot.
being able to check what is for sale at nearby planets without going there.
put out my own cantina contracts for things i want (other mercs could do those missions for me).

Edited by LordNothing, 22 February 2023 - 07:13 PM.

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 07:11 PM

Battletech did it right, the mothership is big, the small dropship docks.

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 07:12 PM

All they really needed to do was make it so you didn't strip your mechs when you put them into storage, also wouldn't hurt to just allow you to repair mechs in storage at some longer amount of time.

Maybe I play the game different though, I just do a bunch of drops, salvage (and repair) then dump whatever I'm not using in that area into storage until I run low on c-bills. I like the concept of the quarterly costs, but to me it doesn't make much sense in a sandbox game where your bouncing around from needing 8-12 lights to 8-12 assaults if you are doing most of the missions in each area - if it was designed to be more linear in the range of mechs you need I'd be all for harder limits and stricter costs.

Plus it costs arbitrarily more to repair, all the travel if you are in a zone with missions against your faction and all that on top of it.

#13 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 23 February 2023 - 10:53 AM

Just lol Jeez where can i get your Kind of Problems? Mine are always so damn serious.

#14 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 February 2023 - 06:44 AM

When MechWarrior has a Mechlab you don't need 40 mechs. You have a few that you hone and rely on. MW5 does not have a Mechlab, nor does it observe BattleTech weapon sizes, so it is a freak system. Case in point, the Gauss Rifle takes as many critical slots as an AC10, but not in MW5.

My solution was to just add one of the Mechlab Mods that players have lovingly crafted. Me happy!

But PGI held a poll for MWO on whether players wanted a Mechlab and it was over 80% for Mechlab. That has not changed for MW5. Mechlab extends gameplay while placing restrictions to work through. And if you don't want Mechlab there would classically be a setting called, "Stock Mechs Only", which could be applied to an entire campaign if that was enabled.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users