How To Defeat Flamer Centric Mechs In Solaris

2 replies to this topic

#1 G0ldenEag1e

Rookie

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 01:00 AM

The tactic I dislike being used against me the most in Solaris is the guy who loads up his mech with flamers and rushes you and just continually pushes against you with the flamers. How can one defeat this strategy? I got some coolant pods that I've used that have helped, but I'm still defeated by this tactic about 50% of the time. There has to be some way to increase my win ratio against it.

Any advice?

Thanks!

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 23 January 2023 - 03:58 AM

Getting hugged by flamers is indeed a rather effective tactic in 1v1. Laser vomit mechs that ride the heat scale are particularly vulnerable to it. Mechs that fare best against it are machine gun and SRM builds that can pop a cool shot and carry on. For everyone else, you have to slow your rate of fire and hit Override. Chain fire your way through a side torso.

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:30 PM

Yeah; other than that, you kinda don't? Which is why you saw so many during the event. Flamer builds are bad builds when you're not abusing Solaris rules, because of how flamers work. The ramping heat costs mean you need a lot of excess heat capacity, with low-heat weapons that deal enough damage to kill your heat-crippled foe before you overheat yourself - flamers impart heat up to I think 90% of the target's total heat capacity, and massed flamers will overwhelm cooling. The easy counter to that is just bringing more heat sinks than you need, but that means you're leaving firepower on the table if you run into a real build.

If they'd been using both tech bases' Heavies, the Crael would mop the floor with the flamer nerds, but not many Clan Heavies can put out enough low-heat firepower to beat the flamer builds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users