Confirmed: Mwo Only Supports True G-Sync Monitors!

No replies to this topic

#1 SorbP

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 12:45 AM

Okay so i had a problem that was driving me mad, i built a new rig and bought myself a new screen.

MWO was stuck at 60 Fps in game, weather V-sync was on or off.

Now what made me think was the curious instance of if you did not have the game windows "focused" it would go over 60 FPS and if you did it would lock itself to 60 fps, this got me thinking because i have seen similar instances with G-Sync.

So i dove into the rabbit hole of understanding the differneces in implementation between an actual dedicated G-SYNC chip and the different implementations of Free-sync.

Long story short, for whatever reason MWO only supports a dedicated G-SYNC module.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that a propper G-SYNC module will let you have synced frames from 20FPS all the way up to the maximum refresh rate of the monitor.

There is some variability between different versions of freesync or "Gsync-Compatible" but the gist of it is that they only offer VRR between say 20-75 HZ, effectivley making them unusable.

because any gamer will have a rig made to run their favourite game close to or at the limits of their display.

So for anyone witht he "STUCK AT 60 FPS PROBLEM" here is one thing you can look into.

I swapped back to my old screen and am now happy as a clam!

Thank you for your time.

Edited by SorbP, 01 February 2023 - 12:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users