32 replies to this topic

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:28 AM

Last time I ran this survey was early 2021, right before Cauldron was put in charge of game balance. Now that Cauldron has finished all their sweeping changes and we've had time to adjust to how it impacted the game, let's rate mechs again to see how perceptions have changed!

---> Here is the survey! <---

- some simple instructions inside, please read them carefully!
- takes between 4 and 8 minutes to fill out
- you don't need to be an expert, all I want is you to share your opinion
- you can leave blanks if you need to, even skip entire weightclasses. But I prefer you give it your best shot anyways!

Results!

As people submit to the survey, these results will automatically populate. If you replied in the first days of the survey, please check back later after there has been time for more people to submit. I'm expecting 300+ responses total.

- Basic Results Average scores
- Boxplot version! More detailed
- Comp vs Casual compare
- Clan vs IS loyalists compare
- Solo Queue vs Groups vs FP etc.
- Low vs High Avg Matchscore Players Expect less frequent updates, I have to do this one manually
- Public vs Cauldron vs TopCompTeams
- Some pretty charts for good measure Breakdown how many of each category of respondent
- Chronicle of all past survey averages

Edited by Tarogato, 16 February 2023 - 10:00 PM.

#2 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 02:25 AM

Wow that was cool. I really liked the pretty charts. Gives a perspective on everything else. Not sure where I rank for the high or low elo but its interesting and Ill be watching as more responses are submitted.

#3 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 05:56 AM

I apologize if I skew your results at all, I pretty much only play a few mediums and my ratings are basically built on how much of a hassle it is to 1v1 a particular mech with a HBK-4SP and DV-8D.

The trashcan got a 10 because it has way too much armor buffing and black holes damage.

#4 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:10 AM

I love seeing graphs for this kind of thing

#5 Staude Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:31 AM

View PostTarogato, on 14 February 2023 - 01:28 AM, said:

Last time I ran this survey was early 2021, right before Cauldron was put in charge of game balance. Now that Cauldron has finished all their sweeping changes and we've had time to adjust to how it impacted the game, let's rate mechs again to see how perceptions have changed!

---> Here is the survey! <---

- some simple instructions inside, please read them carefully!
- takes between 4 and 8 minutes to fill out
- you don't need to be an expert, all I want is you to share your opinion
- you can leave blanks if you need to, even skip entire weightclasses. But I prefer you give it your best shot anyways!

Results!

As people submit to the survey, these results will automatically populate. If you replied in the first days of the survey, please check back later after there has been time for more people to submit. I'm expecting 300+ responses total.

- Basic Results Average scores
- Boxplot version! More detailed
- Comp vs Casual compare
- Clan vs IS loyalists compare
- Solo Queue vs Groups vs FP etc.
- Low vs High Avg Matchscore Players Expect less frequent updates, I have to do this one manually
- Some pretty charts for good measure Breakdown how many of each category of respondent
- Chronicle of all past survey averages

good stats, should be there for all mechs to see which ones are just too strong

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:47 AM

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the Stalker of all mechs being the highest rated Assault among comp players so far (it is pretty amazing at ERLL spam after all), but I am. I mean I see plenty of them, but rarely being played by the comp players that I know of, and only occasionally do I see them having stand out performances over other assaults. Anyway, interesting stuff as always.

Edited by Bud Crue, 14 February 2023 - 08:47 AM.

#7 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:58 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 14 February 2023 - 08:47 AM, said:

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the Stalker of all mechs being the highest rated Assault among comp players so far (it is pretty amazing at ERLL spam after all), but I am. I mean I see plenty of them, but rarely being played by the comp players that I know of, and only occasionally do I see them having stand out performances over other assaults. Anyway, interesting stuff as always.

The stalker also does laservomit quite well, I definitely see the laservomit one more in QP than the erll ones.

#8 ForkTheSpoonWrecker

• PipPip
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:17 AM

I have no clue where you have been the last few weeks during ISC. Pretty much every team uses them.

#9 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:39 AM

Not only was it one of the few mechs that could compete with C-ERLL in CS 2021, the 7D also made it a great mid-range mech when it came out. So yeah, since the C-ERLL nerfs in early 2022, the stalker has been one of the, if not the strongest trade assault in the game.

#10 NeckWorrier

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:41 AM

Amazing work TaroGato

#11 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 10:23 AM

Nice info!

The high variance on Incubus is telling me people don't know about it (yet)

#12 VulcanXIV

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:41 PM

I just wish there were measures showing how Voluntary Bias is being considered. Most video game communities don't understand that polling for this kind of thing can be very harmful.

As for me, I only rated 4 IS mechs, since they're all I play. Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, Warhammer and Roughneck. All very average mechs in the lore, from my understanding. My only main is the PHX and my only complaint is its size.

Outside of that, I just feel that new weapons is the perfect refresher this game needs. Variety is better.

Edited by VulcanXIV, 14 February 2023 - 01:54 PM.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 02:24 PM

lately my playstyle has been "run all mechs with < 20 games". some of those are hidden gems, but most are trash. after im done (and that could be awhile) im gonna run everything with < 50 games with k/d and/or w/l >1, select "fun mechs", heros (and anything else with a bonus). this is nowhere representative of the typical "most meta" candidates, or the "best mechs", or even "usable mechs", and they are certainly not my favorites. this does not provide useful data for this poll.

#14 wildj

• Pip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 February 2023 - 02:49 PM

Since when is the Dire Wolf refereed to the DWF - Dire Floof?
Posted Image

#15 Andrewlik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 03:47 PM

Worst mechs per weight class as of writing:
Jenner, rated at 4.3
Uziel and Kintaro tied at 3.8 (WOOOOOO ITS NOT THE CICADA :D 4.6 HAHAHA SUCK IT)
Champion at 3.9 (which surprised me, they don't seem THAT bad looking at mechDB)
Zeus at 4.3, significantly lower than the Victor and Charger at 4.8

#16 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 03:52 PM

View PostAndrewlik, on 14 February 2023 - 03:47 PM, said:

Worst mechs per weight class as of writing:
Jenner, rated at 4.3
Uziel and Kintaro tied at 3.8 (WOOOOOO ITS NOT THE CICADA Posted Image 4.6 HAHAHA SUCK IT)
Champion at 3.9 (which surprised me, they don't seem THAT bad looking at mechDB)
Zeus at 4.3, significantly lower than the Victor and Charger at 4.8

Both the Victor and the Charger have variants that can do relatively unique things (even if those things aren't necessarily great), whereas as far as I can tell anything you can do on a Zeus platform you can do better on something else.

Champion suffers from being as wide as a Fafnir, though the quirks it's gotten help at least a bit.

Edited by foamyesque, 14 February 2023 - 04:04 PM.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:40 PM

View Postwildj, on 14 February 2023 - 02:49 PM, said:

Since when is the Dire Wolf refereed to the DWF - Dire Floof?
Posted Image

i got a mech named "dire kitten". its an adder. i also have an arctic cheetah named "steel floof" and a madcat named "mr cuddles".

Edited by LordNothing, 14 February 2023 - 04:41 PM.

#18 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 11:48 AM

Good work.

The most surprising thing for me was that over 57% of players were competitive; I was honestly thinking competitive players would be WAY less than that. It does explain some things though.

Little surprised about the Champion - I've not found them to be superstars, but they are solid performers for me.

#19 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2023 - 12:25 PM

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 15 February 2023 - 11:48 AM, said:

The most surprising thing for me was that over 57% of players were competitive;

1 --- There is a tendency that the least invested players never visit forums, reddit, discords, etc, and exhibit the least skill. Players who exhibit average and better skill are more likely to seek out communities. As such... it's hard for a survey like this to reach the bottom half of the player base.

2 --- The competitive community is pretty well condensed around a few discord servers, it's pretty easy to reach them en masse and they tend in nature to be more eager to participate. Harder to reach casuals en masse, so they are underrepresented.

#20 Jiro Yamada

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 12:26 PM

I think it's not so much there are more competitive players and more that competitive players are more likely to read forums and bother to spend the time filling in forms like this than casual players.

Very curious how many of these ratings are purely from one variant of a mech and wouldn't be anywhere near as high for other variants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users