- - - - -

Mouse Sensitivity

8 replies to this topic

#1 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 05:12 PM

Ok so I looked for mouse sensitivity topics here in the forum and I found one from 5 years ago and one from 9 years ago and I'm not about to necro either of those.

So since it's been at least 5 years have there been any changes to this game that invalidate the information in those two threads?

If you have any current advice about mouse sensitivity please share. Posted Image

#2 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 05:36 PM

Mostly what i have hear is to set the sensitivity to 0.1. I cant say I've messed with it though.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 10:27 PM

0.1 - 0.2 depending on your mouse's dpi is what is generally recommended, I think.

#4 CrimsonPhantom6sg062

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 01:27 AM

Actual DPI in MWO should be roughly 100 to 120 DPI for starters.
Anything between 80 to 200 actual DPI is acceptable IMO. You may set your sensitivity to whatever you like, but try not to exceed the limits I have highlighted.

Actual DPI = Your mouse's DPI multiplied by in-game sensitivity.

My settings are 800 DPI for my mouse and 0.12 in-game settings.

So my actual DPI = 800 x 0.12 = 96 DPI.

You know your sensitivity is:
Too high if you struggle to aim with any care regardless of how carefully you move your mouse.
Too low if you struggle with tracking targets while moving fast, flick shots, or torso twisting.

Also you want the in-game sensitivity to be as close to 0.1 as possible, because CryEngine issues, but I personally can't stand using a fast moving mouse outside of playing an actual game.

#5 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

View PostCrimsonPhantom6sg062, on 08 March 2023 - 01:27 AM, said:

Actual DPI in MWO should be roughly 100 to 120 DPI for starters.
Anything between 80 to 200 actual DPI is acceptable IMO. You may set your sensitivity to whatever you like, but try not to exceed the limits I have highlighted.

Actual DPI = Your mouse's DPI multiplied by in-game sensitivity.

My settings are 800 DPI for my mouse and 0.12 in-game settings.

So my actual DPI = 800 x 0.12 = 96 DPI.

You know your sensitivity is:
Too high if you struggle to aim with any care regardless of how carefully you move your mouse.
Too low if you struggle with tracking targets while moving fast, flick shots, or torso twisting.

Also you want the in-game sensitivity to be as close to 0.1 as possible, because CryEngine issues, but I personally can't stand using a fast moving mouse outside of playing an actual game.

Thank you!

This is super helpful.

I didn't realize that these settings were a DPI throttle. Posted Image

Do you have any advice on the other two settings?
(acceleration and smoothness)

Edited by Stab Wound, 08 March 2023 - 08:52 AM.

#6 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 08 March 2023 - 09:02 AM

I was at 0.5 ingame and have been reducing that value slowly (doing it all at once was a bit too jarring). Im definitely feeling an improvement in laser focus as ive been doing that.

I run 2000 DPI and 0.1 at the moment, and i dont like using much lower than 2000 in windows.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 08 March 2023 - 09:03 AM.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 09:36 PM

View PostStab Wound, on 08 March 2023 - 08:50 AM, said:

Do you have any advice on the other two settings?
(acceleration and smoothness)

Both off

#8 CrimsonPhantom6sg062

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 11:29 PM

Acceleration must be off: Anything above 0 messes with your muscle memory, since it changes how your torso moves relative to your mouse movement non-linearly.

Smoothness depends on preference: It supposedly changes how your mouse movements 'jitter' as you move your mouse in the game. I generally recommend 0, but you may try 100% in the Academy (try shooting gallery) and see if it helps you. Posted Image
I personally don't like any "smoothness".

#9 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 06:07 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 08 March 2023 - 09:36 PM, said:

Both off

View PostCrimsonPhantom6sg062, on 08 March 2023 - 11:29 PM, said:

Acceleration must be off: Anything above 0 messes with your muscle memory, since it changes how your torso moves relative to your mouse movement non-linearly.

Smoothness depends on preference: It supposedly changes how your mouse movements 'jitter' as you move your mouse in the game. I generally recommend 0, but you may try 100% in the Academy (try shooting gallery) and see if it helps you. Posted Image
I personally don't like any "smoothness".

Thanks for your help.

I'm thinking I may be able to fix the problems I was having with my targeting based on this information and more practice.

I can't "write my name on an enemy mech with an ERLL" like one of the posts in the necro thread suggested was possible, but I definately have better mouse control now. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users